Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Caracal on April 06, 2021, 09:33:31 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on April 06, 2021, 08:01:23 AM
I don't know if I should post this in the 'First World Problems' thread or here. Oh well.

I found out today that someone tested positive for Covid at the outdoor gardening event I hosted on Saturday. I will need to get tested. The thing that pisses me off is that we were supposed to get our second dose this Friday and I'm not sure if that will happen now.

Ugh. That seems like a pretty low risk situation assuming everyone was outside and taking precautions, but still stressful and frustrating.

Agree. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I was close to this person at one point.

OneMoreYear

I don't know where the health thread is, and it's a vent, so I guess it goes here, but I am so sick of feeling sick. I cannot kick these COVID effects, and it's been more than a month.   I'm having trouble getting off the couch, and I can't concentrate, and I can't stay warm. I may actually cancel class tomorrow, and I'm so behind in grading that I think one of my other classes may revolt.  I'm teaching two of my most technical classes this semester, and I'm not keeping up.  I know others got COVID so much worse than I have, so I hope this is OK for the vent thread.

mamselle

Yikes!

Vent away.

Any TAs you could get to do some grading for you? Colleagues?

Maybe send gift cards for DoorDash or something in thanks?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Puget

Quote from: OneMoreYear on April 06, 2021, 02:15:32 PM
I don't know where the health thread is, and it's a vent, so I guess it goes here, but I am so sick of feeling sick. I cannot kick these COVID effects, and it's been more than a month.   I'm having trouble getting off the couch, and I can't concentrate, and I can't stay warm. I may actually cancel class tomorrow, and I'm so behind in grading that I think one of my other classes may revolt.  I'm teaching two of my most technical classes this semester, and I'm not keeping up.  I know others got COVID so much worse than I have, so I hope this is OK for the vent thread.

I'm so sorry! Not to scare you, but one of my grad students is still not at 100% nearly a year later (but making progress!). This thing is no joke, and I hope you can take time to rest rather than trying to push through-- cancel class, call in help from colleagues, do what you've got to do to put your health first.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

smallcleanrat

That's awful!

So sorry you're having such a hard time OneMoreYear!

I hope you can get whatever support you need at work.

I'll be thinking of you and wishing the best.

Langue_doc

Could you get medical leave for at least a couple of weeks? In our state employees are entitled to medical leave for two weeks just for quarantining.

OneMoreYear

Thanks all! I've been taking sick time throughout the week when it gets bad (seems to be worse in the afternoon, all of my energy is zapped by then). I did end of cancelling a couple classes this week (students are still getting more than the specified amount of instruction per credit hour in those classes), and I'm not attending any meetings in which I'm not expected to say something (I'll read the minutes the next day). [note--I was remote prior to exposure-no students/colleagues were exposed when I got sick]. Colleagues have been supportive--we are all at capacity, but there are a few things I've been able to ask for support for that I can reasonably pass off. I do have TAs (and I know I'm lucky to have them), but have fewer this semester than typical (for a variety of reasons).   The end of the semester is always a push, and I just don't have the energy it usually takes. As I tell my students, we'll make it through together--the semester will end, just like every other year.  Thanks for letting me vent, y'all.
Evil_physics_witchcraft, I hope your test is negative after your exposure and you can complete the vaccination process.

Puget

Quote from: OneMoreYear on April 07, 2021, 05:45:53 AM
Thanks all! I've been taking sick time throughout the week when it gets bad (seems to be worse in the afternoon, all of my energy is zapped by then). I did end of cancelling a couple classes this week (students are still getting more than the specified amount of instruction per credit hour in those classes), and I'm not attending any meetings in which I'm not expected to say something (I'll read the minutes the next day). [note--I was remote prior to exposure-no students/colleagues were exposed when I got sick]. Colleagues have been supportive--we are all at capacity, but there are a few things I've been able to ask for support for that I can reasonably pass off. I do have TAs (and I know I'm lucky to have them), but have fewer this semester than typical (for a variety of reasons).   The end of the semester is always a push, and I just don't have the energy it usually takes. As I tell my students, we'll make it through together--the semester will end, just like every other year.  Thanks for letting me vent, y'all.
Evil_physics_witchcraft, I hope your test is negative after your exposure and you can complete the vaccination process.

If the TAs are maxed out on hours, can the department hire an extra hourly grad student grader to get through the rest of the semester? That's what we would probably do under these circumstances. I hope you can get some more support!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

OneMoreYear:

I hope that the admins are empathic and flexible. Feel free to vent. I think anyone going through what you're experiencing would be.

I'm hoping to get a test today. I had so much work yesterday, that I couldn't get out of the house. The person who tested positive is asymptomatic (poor kid has to be quarantined).

Caracal

Also remember that students are often quite sympathetic when faculty are going through something, and having lingering effects of COVID is something any decent person is going to understand and make lots of allowances for.

evil_physics_witchcraft

After waiting many eons, dealing with a cranky receptionist (understandable, but annoying), filling out a ton of paperwork at the place that was supposed to be a drive-thru testing site, but wasn't, I finally got my test and I'm negative! Thank the Elder Gods!

Parasaurolophus

Not a vent as such, more of an eyeroll logged here for a future "I told you so":

My colleagues were very worried about hiring someone (for non-regular work, albeit a decent courseload) who would leave. HR had me excuse myself from the decision because I had to miss an interview due to the hatchling's follow-up medical appointments.

The candidate they decided on is going to leave. Guaranteed. Actually, he's never going to come--he's going to teach online in the summer and fall, and hand in his notice come winter before he has to move here to teach IRL. (I strongly suspect, actually, he's going to accept his VAP offer and teach "here" and there simultaneously until we run out of online courses for him.)

I don't mind--it'll give my preferred candidates another kick at the can--but it seems like a silly waste, and entirely predictable.

I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on April 07, 2021, 11:05:32 AM
After waiting many eons, dealing with a cranky receptionist (understandable, but annoying), filling out a ton of paperwork at the place that was supposed to be a drive-thru testing site, but wasn't, I finally got my test and I'm negative! Thank the Elder Gods!

So glad to hear this!

apl68

In this week's library column in the local paper I mentioned that we had gotten in a large batch of new junior graphic novels.  The editor of the paper, evidently having a bit of extra space available and trying to be helpful, decided to illustrate the column with a graphic novel cover.

He chose Allen Moore's Watchmen.  Which is considered a graphic novel classic and is in our library's collection.  But it is emphatically NOT a junior title.  It's the equivalent of illustrating a column about upgrades to our juvenile mystery section--you know, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, etc.--with a cover of Silence of the Lambs.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

mamselle

It's a wise journalist who checks out their visuals with the subject of the article...(from experience....!)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.