Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Post CV19 predictions

Started by clean, March 28, 2020, 09:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Quote from: Caracal on March 29, 2020, 07:17:46 AM
Quote from: writingprof on March 29, 2020, 06:53:29 AM
As I have said elsewhere on these Fora, the moment Biden wins the election, we will never hear the words "coronavirus" or "covid" again.

Yes, I recall that and I recall thinking, "what a fool."

I think writingprof means that Trump is being inappropriately blamed or over-blamed by some. If so he would be right. That always happens to a president.
'Being president is like being a jackass in a hailstorm. There's nothing to do but stand there and take it.' - Lyndon Johnson, who changed his mind about running for a second term

clean

Another Prediction:

STATE BUDGET CUTS

I expect that the drop in oil prices and the loss of sales tax revenues will mean that someone will soon start looking at the state and therefore the university budget.  I suspect that pay raises may be postponed (if there were going to be any anyway). 

Usually economic downturns are good for university enrollment (tuition revenue) but bad for sales tax and state support.  However, I m not sure that online classes are going to benefit anyone in particular.  It may help the places that already have an online presence OR the ones that can quickly put up an advertising program so that it LOOKS like they have a better program.  Also, IF the recession is shortlived (good for everyone) the increase in enrollment may not come, but the sales tax drop will still hurt.

Anyway, I am not predicting State Budget Cuts across the country!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

clean

Hows this for timing!

I posted a prediction before lunch.  This afternoon we get an email announcing a hiring freeze and 'requests for compensation changes should not be sent' notice!

These are to 'conserve resources as we navigate this unprecedented situation'! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader