Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Paralysis Analysis Renewed!

Started by mamselle, June 06, 2019, 01:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Thanks for asking.

It's good to see you here.

I'm going into chapel now, then have six  five four setups for an upcoming board meeting to put into place.

Then...editing the newsletter one last time before it goes to the printer, and run a brief 25-piece mail merge and print it.

Then...if it stops raining, going to the town next door to start plotting the tour I will be discussing Friday and giving the 19th. (If it's raining, stay in the library and plan my paper for 11/2 in OH and the related research in EU...and the UK, if there still is one, in December.)

Tonight, monastery service at 5.30, then the local library to finish a study I can only do there (local history sources)

Tomorrow, my usual students are off (Yom Kippur) so I'll do either one of the things I couldn't do above, then go to check out options for a Wild Pizza Search the first night of the upcoming conference, and the Dessert Scavenger Hunt the last night. (Area has many of both....it's important to get them right...)

I will have to sample the goods, of course....am bringing a friend to help.

Teaching, meetings, and more tour prep on Thursday and Friday...have to print handouts.

And then home.

You?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

Thanks for asking.

It's good to see you here.

I'm going into chapel now, then have six  five four three setups for an upcoming board meeting to put into place.

Then...editing the newsletter one last time before it goes to the printer, can't do this 'til Thursday, we don't have all the page proofs back yet...
... and run a brief 25-piece mail merge and print it. - may do this next

Then...if it stops raining, - [no such luck]

going to the town next door to start plotting the tour I will be discussing Friday and giving the 19th. {This will be done tomorrow, in concert with a pizza and dessert crawl across the bridge from the burying ground...a very well-balanced manner of thing, I think...}

If it's raining, stay in the library and plan my paper for 11/2 in OH and the related research in EU...and the UK, if there still is one, in December. - 15 min. to do this now, more later

Tonight, monastery service at 5.30, then the local library to finish a study I can only do there (local history sources)

Tomorrow, my usual students are off (Yom Kippur) so I'll do either one of the things I couldn't do above, then go to check out options for a Wild Pizza Search the first night of the upcoming conference, and the Dessert Scavenger Hunt the last night. (Area has many of both....it's important to get them right...)

I will have to sample the goods, of course....am bringing a friend to help. - Definitely the plan now. In fact, a pre-quel to a wilder, more populated search with a couple more folks in a week or so as well.

Teaching, meetings, and more tour prep on Thursday and Friday...have to print handouts.

And then home.

You?

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

Arrgh...I'm grumpy in three different directions now....
A. It's supposed to rain tomorrow through Sat., and the tour prep and food finding both need decent weather to be any good, or any fun.  I may try to do the tour prep in the AM anyway, see how far I can get with it, but...

B. The food-finding fun will cut out a meeting in which I was to pick up a check (and thus pay a bill.) However, that meeting has now been moved to Thursday--only a day different, but it's a case of realizing you may regret getting what you thought you wanted!!!

C. I'm on track with a few things, but there are two more that need some time and didn't get it today. Solution? Follow "Scarlet's Dictum"? Stay up late and finish one (maybe a bit). Swap the other for the can't-go-outside afternoon food escapade?

Hmmmm...

I'm going into chapel now, then have six  five four three setups for an upcoming board meeting to put into place.

Then...editing the newsletter one last time before it goes to the printer, can't do this 'til Thursday, we don't have all the page proofs back yet...
... and run a brief 25-piece mail merge and print it. - may do this next

Then...if it stops raining, - [no such luck]

going to the town next door to start plotting the tour I will be discussing Friday and giving the 19th. {This will be done tomorrow, in concert with a pizza and dessert crawl across the bridge from the burying ground...a very well-balanced manner of thing, I think...}

If it's raining, stay in the library and plan my paper for 11/2 in OH and the related research in EU...and the UK, if there still is one, in December. - 15 min. to do this now, more later

I will have to sample the goods, of course....am bringing a friend to help. - Definitely the plan now. In fact, a pre-quel to a wilder, more populated search with a couple more folks in a week or so as well.

Hmmm......at least, writing it out, I'm less grumpy....!

M.

octoprof

Um...
commute
nap in parking lot
short slow swim
10 minutes in hot tub
shower
take a test
chat with colleague
try to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing

talk to K at K's office hours 10:15-11:15 re: speaker thing (WHERE IS K TODAY?)
try not to fall asleep at my desk
email MW about lunch meeting to discuss board thing (lunch now scheduled)
teach 401 (show film, have discussion)
revise curriculum form for 510 for the bazillionth time

my lunch date (colleague) forgot me
commute home with bawling
chat with mama
take her to library?
order stuff from Amazon
nap
Welcome your cephalopod overlord.

nucleo

Here's a list of stuff I might actually do, as opposed to the list of stuff I am supposed to do:

• Mark tests
  • Release last homework
  • Print OER texts
  • Order desk copy of 11th ed
  • Order desk copy of other texts
  • Reminder email to students about next week
  • Reply to email re drop students
  • Draft next week's exam
  • Find out when form is due
  • Email dean's office

mamselle

Hello, octo, nucleo, others!

I'm less grumpy: the rain mostly held off, I figured out the tour, had time to do more prep (looking for probated wills online; even found some!) and I have a better start on the suudenly-we-want-to-meet-on-Froday handout.

I'm only grumpy in one direction now....someone's not listening but the consequences for that will have to come later...to them, not me...

Well...two...the article that didn't go in is now in the article orphans' home...will expand a bit and try again.

A. It's supposed to rain tomorrow through Sat., and the tour prep and food finding both need decent weather to be any good, or any fun.  I may try to do the tour prep in the AM anyway, see how far I can get with it, but...

No biggie. I survived and friend was fine with re-booking.

[/s]B. The food-finding fun will cut out a meeting in which I was to pick up a check (and thus pay a bill.) However, that meeting has now been moved to Thursday--only a day different, but it's a case of realizing you may regret getting what you thought you wanted!!![/s]

No issues. Swap made. Why was I so upset?!!

C. I'm on track with a few things, but there are two more that need some time and didn't get it today. Solution? Follow "Scarlet's Dictum"? Stay up late and finish one (maybe a bit). Swap the other for the can't-go-outside afternoon food escapade?

Hmmmm...

I'm going into chapel now, then have six  five four three two setups for an upcoming board meeting to put into place.

Then...editing the newsletter before it goes to the printer, set for Thursday, we now have all the page proofs back and I've mostly done my edits
... and run a brief 25-piece mail merge and print it. - must do this next!

Plan my paper for 11/2 in OH and the related research in EU...and the UK, if there still is one, in December. - Still more to do

Still have to check out options for a Wild Pizza Search the first night of the upcoming conference, and the Dessert Scavenger Hunt the last night. (Area has many of both....it's important to get them right...)

OK, things are better!

M.

mamselle

Good day to all who are out and about!

Today:
Leave soon
  Get packet folders for and mtg
  Put some stuff in them,
  Prep other stuff later
  Lunch with a friend
  Teach Music students
  Library, maybe...more work on 17th c. stone probated
  Write blog summary to send instead of now-orphaned article, so as to not burn bridges
Home
  Prep for mtg tomorrow, and teaching
Recline and rest...

I've got to get back to the longer list, there's still stuff on it to be done. But this will do for now!

M.

mamselle

Today's quick-check, more needed later.

Sat. paper went well. Yea!

In the OSU music and dance library now, with 50 books to scan/copy in the next 3 hours, before going to lunch with a friend (might come back afterwards if I don't get done.)

Wish I could transplant this library to where I live, it's richer and more transparent in some of the materials I need. There are a couple near me that come close, but are surprisingly thin on ethnic dance materials and historic muisc, in some cases.

So:

1. Scan stuff put aside for the continuation of the paper given on Sat. that I couldn't get to before the presentation (two more versions to be given in the next 6 months...)

2. Scan cool stuff that turned up for the dance iconography booklet, esp. the chapter on East Asian dance (the department has consistently brought in dancers-in-residence from a variety of dance dialects since I was here in the 1970s...very grateful for that).

3. Scan and copy other random cool stuff that has shown up as I've been browsing the stacks.

4. Make notes for works in progress from these materials.

5. Start typing them in.

Two new observations have also come to mind:

1. Libraries are dangerous places.

This is where the revolution begins.

2. If you don't know what to write, you're not reading enough.

Read until you have to write.

I'm giving myself 1.5 hours to do the copying/scanning--starting now.

M's - 6 bks

ML's - 7 bks

GV's - 20 bks

Go!

M.

mamselle

In the OSU music and dance library now, with 50 books to scan/copy in the next 3 hours, before going to lunch with a friend (might come back afterwards if I don't get done.)

Wish I could transplant this library to where I live, it's richer and more transparent in some of the materials I need. There are a couple near me that come close, but are surprisingly thin on ethnic dance materials and historic muisc, in some cases.

So:

1. Scan stuff put aside for the continuation of the paper given on Sat. that I couldn't get to before the presentation (two more versions to be given in the next 6 months...) - Started

2. Scan cool stuff that turned up for the dance iconography booklet, esp. the chapter on East Asian dance (the department has consistently brought in dancers-in-residence from a variety of dance dialects since I was here in the 1970s...very grateful for that).

3. Scan and copy other random cool stuff that has shown up as I've been browsing the stacks. - Started

4. Make notes for works in progress from these materials. - Started

5. Start typing them in.

-=-=-=-

M's - 6 bks 5 to go

ML's - 7 bks 5 to go

GV's - 20 bks 14 to go

Clearly I was a bit too optimistic.

On the other hand, it turns out I have several more hours tomorrow since I mis-judged my flight time (it's later than I thought) so all may be well.

M.

mamselle

So:

1. Scan stuff put aside for the continuation of the paper given on Sat. that I couldn't get to before the presentation (two more versions to be given in the next 6 months...) - Started

3. Scan and copy other random cool stuff that has shown up as I've been browsing the stacks. - Started

4. Make notes for works in progress from these materials. - Started

5. Start typing them in.

-=-=-=-

M's - 6 bks 5 to go

ML's - 7 bks 5 to go

GV's - 20 bks 14 to go

But then I found 10 more...

Total is down to 23....

Ongoing...

M.

mamselle

Finally finished them all, just stopped posting.

Still have to save them all in their separate files (about 50 done so far).

Today: a 7-hour plan to be fulfilled:

1) 2-hrs: 13th c. Ppt work

2) 2 hrs: travel planning

3) 1-hr: 17th c. chapter draft text smidgen

4) 2-hrs: meeting minutes

A good conversation with a member of the audience at a presentation last night clarified a choice that has been holding up #2. Working on #1 will help clarify further choices in #2.

I'd rather start with #3, but timing for calls on #2 suggests it can go later.

I'd rather not have to do #4 at all, but until I figure out an alternative, that's a necessity.

OK, ready, set--going after books for #1 now.

M. 

mamselle

2) 2 hrs: travel planning Took more like 3 hours, with some weird stuff to deal with: why does the last train to Lille leave one minute before the last Chunnel gets into Calais? Imponderables like, why, if I tried to book the 15th in my hostel did it show up for the 19th? Etc.

Anyway, the first week is just about done. And I've confirmed with my cousin. And I may have to give up the Chunnel ticket I thought I'd so wisely booked in advance because of the nonsense noted above, and re-book to Lille instead (if only I'd known...).

La vie, c'est comme ca...

3) 1-hr: 17th c. chapter draft text smidgen

A good conversation with a member of the audience at a presentation last night clarified a choice that has been holding up #2. Working on #1 will help clarify further choices in #2.

I'd rather not have to do #4 at all, but until I figure out an alternative, that's a necessity.

M.
[/quote]

mamselle

2) 2 hrs: travel planning Took more like 3 hours, with some weird stuff to deal with: why does the last train to Lille leave one minute before the last Chunnel gets into Calais? Imponderables like, why, if I tried to book the 15th in my hostel did it show up for the 19th? Etc.

Anyway, the first week is just about done. And I've confirmed with my cousin. And I may have to give up the Chunnel ticket I thought I'd so wisely booked in advance because of the nonsense noted above, and re-book to Lille instead (if only I'd known...).

La vie, c'est comme ca...

3) 1-hr: 17th c. chapter draft text smidgen. Later, an hour's research online.

M.

ciao_yall

Oh here it is!

Not much more progress after Barre class.
==========================

• Summarize tax info
  • Finalize steps transferring from one brokerage account to another
  • Continue process of selling off high-cost funds and transfer into ETFs
  • Spanish homework
  • Barre class

Octoprof taught me the Pomodoro method.  You set a timer. Work for 25 minutes, break for 5 minutes, and continue on/off until done.

If I don't know where to start, I look at the clock. The last number tells me which item to do for 25 minutes. So at 10:21 I would work on taxes and keep doing that until whenever.

But first, breakfast and shower.

mamselle

Thanks for re-starting this!

OK, six costumes to make; I won't list all the pieces, but...

chemises: 1 nearly done, 2 started, 3 to make (but may have a couple already, have to look for them.
tunics: 3 to make
breeches/slops: 3 to make, probably
overdresses: three to make
shoes: might have, or have to make
tights: probably have to buy some, not all
headgear: have two already, may have to make four more
jewelry: two nearly done, two on hand, two more to make

Productive buying and sewing day today, very encouraging!

More work of a less-fun nature:
Transcribe minutes: started
Finish blog: 1-2 more sessions should do it
work on other blog/article: hmmm...
Ppt no. 1 for talk no. 1: started
Ppt no. w for talk no. 2: hmmmmm...

Teaching as usual
NP stuff as usual, with a dash of nonsense added.
Apt/etc. : hmmmm.....
other stuff....hmmm....

M......mmmm......