News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aside

Juvenal

Humid, beclouded, low 70's.  Acceptable.

So far, no need to turn on the A/C.  In some years past, hereabouts, ninety-plus before now.  If I were religious, I'd pray for a "cool summer."  If I remain off my knees and I get a hot one, does that say I'm among the damned?  And all the millions in a hundred or so miles from my front stoop?  Theodicy... a real stumper.

Cranky septuagenarian

mamselle

Cool, comfy...I ate my salad/dinner outside near the rock fountain after the library closed.

Could still rain....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

It rained yesterday.  We're planning a work trip for tomorrow and the suggestion has been to park our cars somewhere covered in case the hail actually comes.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

monarda

It's close to 10:30 PM and it's cooled down to 87F (feels like 97F).  Above 75% humidity. Yuck.
Earlier this afternoon it was 92F (felt like 108!) Only 30 more hours of this heat wave.
Sunday's high is forecast to be below 80, then we'll be rewarded with a glorious, cool week.

waterboy

Hot...Stinking hot...Humid. Did I mention it was stinking hot?
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

Juvenal

Today, tomorrow: nineties and humid.  I laugh at this.  Or is that laughter I hear coming from myself?
Cranky septuagenarian

paultuttle

To quote Robin Williams in Good Morning, Vietnam: "Hot. DAMNED hot."

bioteacher

Quote from: paultuttle on July 20, 2019, 09:46:46 AM
To quote Robin Williams in Good Morning, Vietnam: "Hot. DAMNED hot."

This plus more humid than a laundromat's dryer vent. It's low 90's but we have cloud cover, which has keep it from getting even worse. Heat index is only 103 deg. F.

I am so thankful to have central air. With our small house, the electric bill isn't that bad.

monarda

Yay! The thunderstorms came and the temperature dropped 20 degrees!

Puget

Heat index currently 109 and the same again tomorrow. Very unusual for here (or used to be anyway).

My apartment has central AC but the house I'm buying doesn't so I need to look into portable units and what it would take to install central AC. Good motivation to do that this weekend!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

bioteacher

Puget, if the house has forced air heating, adding central AC might be more cost effective than running several window units. Definitely worth looking into since heat waves are the new normal and when the humidity is that high, staying hydrated and cool with just window fans becomes difficult if not impossible. Our house doesen't veintallate at all. When our AC died a few years ago, even a box fan in my bedroom window wasn't enough to move air. It was over 90 F. in my room well after midnight. In the house i grew up in, in contest, my corner bedroom had two windows and it was possible to get a breeze going pretty easily and spend a not-miserable night by just leaving the windows open and shades up. Older houses were often built to keep the air moving. New ones, not so much.

mamselle

90s?

I don't  know.

No thermometers available to the average person-in-the-street in 1773.....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Puget

Quote from: bioteacher on July 20, 2019, 06:16:02 PM
Puget, if the house has forced air heating, adding central AC might be more cost effective than running several window units. Definitely worth looking into since heat waves are the new normal and when the humidity is that high, staying hydrated and cool with just window fans becomes difficult if not impossible. Our house doesen't veintallate at all. When our AC died a few years ago, even a box fan in my bedroom window wasn't enough to move air. It was over 90 F. in my room well after midnight. In the house i grew up in, in contest, my corner bedroom had two windows and it was possible to get a breeze going pretty easily and spend a not-miserable night by just leaving the windows open and shades up. Older houses were often built to keep the air moving. New ones, not so much.

No forced air unfortunately-- boiler with radiators (which is the norm around here), so putting in central AC is non-trivial.

There are a ton of windows for better and worse (house was built in 1890 pre electricity)-- I love the amount of light, and as you say it will help with cross breezes, but they will need insulating blinds. The bedrooms also have ceiling fans which will help.

I'm really pretty happy at about 78-80 degrees so don't need a ton of cooling, just enough for the hottest days and cooling down the upstairs a bit at night. I looked at portable (vent with a hose out the window instead of sitting in the window themselves) units online today, and they are pretty reasonable and double as dehumidifiers, so I'll probably get a couple of those. I don't relish trying to install and remove window units every year, or blocking my nice windows, so those seem preferable.   
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

hmaria1609

Wicked hot here in the metro Baltimore/DC area.  Stay cool folks!