News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Coronavirus

Started by bacardiandlime, January 30, 2020, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Quote from: clean on January 15, 2021, 09:01:37 AM
QuoteI am not in my "home" state and won't be for several more months, and can't get the vaccine where I currently am, as I am not a resident.

My county has/is 'a hub'. The news reports that as the vaccine was purchased by the government there are NO residency restrictions.  The hub is to distribute to anyone, regardless of residence. The news specified that IF a Canadian or a Mexican national came, they would get vaccinated. 

The national news had an article about an elderly couple living near their county's hub that can not seem to get registered, but watches all sorts of out of state license plates go through the location.

There have been complaints in the news about "vaccine tourism" in Florida.  The Governor there says it's mostly "snowbirds" who are technically out-of-state residents but spend the winter in Florida.  If the elderly couple is in a place that gets a lot of winter residents that may be what they're seeing.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

apl68

Alma Mater's faculty were told a couple of days ago that there would be a special vaccination clinic at a local pharmacy for them.  Then they found out that 900 doses had been administered to others at that pharmacy, and there was no vaccine for them.  They seem to be under the impression that 900 somebodies jumped the line in front of them.  I'm more inclined to suspect some miscommunication somewhere.  I'm guessing that they were supposed to get their turn next week, when teachers in the state in general become eligible.

We're going to be hearing lots and lots and LOTS of complaints about line jumping, misunderstandings about who was scheduled to go when, and general allegations of unfairness regarding vaccinations in the weeks and months ahead.  Some of them probably true, some just misunderstandings, and some products of the rumor mill.  It's inevitable when we have a huge, mistake-prone enterprise going on in a nation where most of us are in the habit of feeling unjustly put-upon by those around us.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

clean

CNBC is reporting "There is NO Vaccine Reserve"

The Gov. of Oregon reports, "Last night, I received disturbing news, confirmed to me directly by General Perna of Operation Warp Speed:  States will not be receiving increased shipments of vaccines from the national stockpile next week, because there is no federal reserve of doses"  (Jan 15, 2021)

Further the reporter stated that The Washington Post is reporting today that the government had already transitioned into releasing the second dose. 

The vaccine will be released as it is available from the manufacturer with priority going to those needing the second dose, and then those needing the first dose.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/vaccine-reserve-was-already-exhausted-when-trump-administration-vowed-to-release-it-dashing-hopes-of-expanded-access/ar-BB1cML9W?li=BBorjTa&ocid=Peregrine
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Caracal

Quote from: clean on January 15, 2021, 11:31:44 AM
CNBC is reporting "There is NO Vaccine Reserve"

The Gov. of Oregon reports, "Last night, I received disturbing news, confirmed to me directly by General Perna of Operation Warp Speed:  States will not be receiving increased shipments of vaccines from the national stockpile next week, because there is no federal reserve of doses"  (Jan 15, 2021)

Further the reporter stated that The Washington Post is reporting today that the government had already transitioned into releasing the second dose. 

The vaccine will be released as it is available from the manufacturer with priority going to those needing the second dose, and then those needing the first dose.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/vaccine-reserve-was-already-exhausted-when-trump-administration-vowed-to-release-it-dashing-hopes-of-expanded-access/ar-BB1cML9W?li=BBorjTa&ocid=Peregrine

Worth clarifying that this isn't saying there isn't going to be enough for second doses. Basically, bizarrely before they made this whole announcement, they had already decided that they were sure enough of production that they didn't need to hang on to doses. Fine, but, they didn't actually communicate that to states and clearly there's no coordination here.

apl68

Reminds me of switching to a reserve gas tank only to find that the reserve tank was being quietly used up all along already.

dismalist

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

FishProf

Quote from: apl68 on January 15, 2021, 12:45:41 PM
Reminds me of switching to a reserve gas tank only to find that the reserve tank was being quietly used up all along already.

This is (in part) why we abandoned reserve air in SCUBA tanks years ago.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

kaysixteen

WRT Wallyworld and similar places not enforcing their supposedly clear customer must wear mask policies, it is certainly true that the local WM here in Rusty City emphatically does not enforce this policy, and it is pretty normative for many customers to at least not mask their nose, if not their mouth as well.   Almost everyone has a mask, of course, but if you do not cover up your nose AND mouth, it is essentially a useless necklace.   What are you all seeing where you are, wrt private companies' enforcement of masking policies?

Vkw10

University is on list to get vaccines, but doesn't know when yet. Vaccination process discussed in virtual town hall, with explanation of phases. Q&A about how they're identifying people for 1b, so people with health conditions can get on list. Response was that it's honor system per state because too hard to set up and enforce enforcement system while trying to get people vaccinated quickly.

Never thought state would trust to honor system for anything. Not disapproving, just surprised.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

apl68

My parents got a mysterious phone call that said it was something to do with their vaccination.  I don't know all the details.  Apparently it was some kind of elder-targeting scam.  People with older relatives need to be sure that they are alert to scammers trying to invoke "vaccination" to collect personal information or money.  They're going to be coming out of the woodwork now.

Caracal

Quote from: Vkw10 on January 16, 2021, 12:57:50 AM
University is on list to get vaccines, but doesn't know when yet. Vaccination process discussed in virtual town hall, with explanation of phases. Q&A about how they're identifying people for 1b, so people with health conditions can get on list. Response was that it's honor system per state because too hard to set up and enforce enforcement system while trying to get people vaccinated quickly.

Never thought state would trust to honor system for anything. Not disapproving, just surprised.

That's good to hear. Requiring paper work is just going to slow things down.

Morden

QuoteMy parents got a mysterious phone call that said it was something to do with their vaccination.  I don't know all the details.  Apparently it was some kind of elder-targeting scam.  People with older relatives need to be sure that they are alert to scammers trying to invoke "vaccination" to collect personal information or money.  They're going to be coming out of the woodwork now.
In London, a scammer got money from a 92 year old woman AND injected her with something.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-55577426
I think they found him and charged him with fraud and assault.

histchick

Quote from: kaysixteen on January 15, 2021, 11:52:44 PM
WRT Wallyworld and similar places not enforcing their supposedly clear customer must wear mask policies, it is certainly true that the local WM here in Rusty City emphatically does not enforce this policy, and it is pretty normative for many customers to at least not mask their nose, if not their mouth as well.   Almost everyone has a mask, of course, but if you do not cover up your nose AND mouth, it is essentially a useless necklace.   What are you all seeing where you are, wrt private companies' enforcement of masking policies?
Here in my part of the rural South, we have a citywide mask ordinance that is virtually unenforceable.  My husband and I have done nothing but curbside pickup because even stores with mask policies do not enforce them, and many shoppers are maskless.  Okay, fine, we can deal with that. 

What really got me riled is the experiences I've had at medical appointments.  Not patients (mostly), mind you, but employees.  That's when I totally lost it.  It was only a couple of people, but those couple of people could have caused me or members of my family a lot of unnecessary suffering.  Idiots.

kaysixteen

I assume you have never complained at a retail establishment where mask ordinances were not enforced?   But what happened at the med office, when you 'totally lost it', which I assume includes having complained?

nebo113

histchick and K16........  I, too, live in the rural south and local stores, including Lowe's and Walmart, will not enforce mask wearing.  I have walked out of a number of small, local businesses because of non-compliance.  And I have used my state's online reporting site.  Last spring, I also walked out of a doctor's office because of blatant, deliberate, non compliance......the doc didn't believe in covid.