News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Coronavirus

Started by bacardiandlime, January 30, 2020, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

histchick

Quote from: nebo113 on January 18, 2021, 05:30:34 AM
histchick and K16........  I, too, live in the rural south and local stores, including Lowe's and Walmart, will not enforce mask wearing.  I have walked out of a number of small, local businesses because of non-compliance.  And I have used my state's online reporting site.  Last spring, I also walked out of a doctor's office because of blatant, deliberate, non compliance......the doc didn't believe in covid.
Since the pandemic started, we have only shopped curbside, because we knew that many (most?) of our neighbors would not wear masks, and that local businesses would not enforce.  In that sense, then, we did not complain to Walmart or Kroger, because they provided a relatively efficient alternative for shoppers like us who did not want to go inside. 

At the dentist a few weeks ago, I came out of the exam and sat down to finish some paperwork when I saw that one of the front desk workers was not wearing a mask.  Given how good the office procedure has been (you have to call before entering the building, masks are required, etc.) I was surprised to see this.  A colleague of theirs died due to COVID-19 complications just a few weeks before.  I complained to the employee working at the front door on my way out.  My husband had an appointment two days later, so he talked to to the dentist about it, and got the sense that this employee might not be working there any longer. 

The doctor's office is another issue.  I like my doctor all right, but the rest of the setup is another issue entirely.  Masks are required, but the waiting rooms are crammed with folks, and there's no good way to distance.  The nurse who gave us our flu shots took off her mask while speaking with us in a small, enclosed room, and we just got the hell out of there. 

The issue for both of us is that this is a really small place, and the mask issue is extremely political.  Add that to the fact that my husband is well known in the community, and it gets a bit dicey for us.  The last name is uncommon so even if I say or do something, it will get connected back to him. That could harm the campus.  So, we just stay home unless it's medically necessary for us to go out. 

nebo, if I had experienced the same issue with my doctor (not believing in COVID), I would have not gone back.  I don't know what else I would have done.  I sympathize with the managers of local businesses who want to enforce policies but are afraid of violence.   

mamselle

I'm sorry and angry to hear about so many inconsiderate, idiotic people who won't take simple precautions that would keep themselves healthy, as well as others.

P.C. means "polite and considerate" to my mind.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

We have about 95% of our groceries delivered. I may head out once a month to the food store (in the early morning) to stock up on things that we cannot have delivered, or are just too expensive to be delivered.

The last few times I went to the food store early in the morning (8-9am), everyone was masked. Later in the day the masks come off.

I don't understand the whole 'masks are tyranny' bs.

dismalist

Here in Northern Virginia mask wearing is well nigh universal. Only my barber is systematically non-compliant!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

apl68

Quote from: nebo113 on January 18, 2021, 05:30:34 AM
histchick and K16........  I, too, live in the rural south and local stores, including Lowe's and Walmart, will not enforce mask wearing.  I have walked out of a number of small, local businesses because of non-compliance.  And I have used my state's online reporting site.  Last spring, I also walked out of a doctor's office because of blatant, deliberate, non compliance......the doc didn't believe in covid.

I live in another rural southern area (rural enough to be an hour from the nearest Lowe's), and I see a lot of spotty mask wearing.  However, retail and other public service staff are mostly wearing masks.  Our local doctors are very much behind it.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

apl68

Meeting with the Mayor tomorrow about setting up proper social distancing, etc. protocols for the next City Council meeting.  Looks like we'll have to specially disinfect the public restrooms, shut down normal library business an hour before closing time, and provide a portable microphone setup so that everybody present can hear.  We can't move the built-in lectern mike from the library Community Room where they normally hold their meetings.

It also looks like I'll be obligated to stay there myself for however long it takes to complete the meeting.  I hate having to sit through Council meetings!  I keep up with what happens in them, but the actual experience of being there for the whole thing is a drag.

AvidReader

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on January 18, 2021, 10:52:14 AM
The last few times I went to the food store early in the morning (8-9am), everyone was masked. Later in the day the masks come off.

This has been my experience in grocery stores and Walmart here also (semi-rural southern US). Going early in the morning is significantly better than going any time after 10.

Lowe's is awful all day, though. I don't think anyone who shops at our local store has even heard of the pandemic.

AR.

mamselle

Quote from: apl68 on January 20, 2021, 10:07:14 AM
Meeting with the Mayor tomorrow about setting up proper social distancing, etc. protocols for the next City Council meeting.  Looks like we'll have to specially disinfect the public restrooms, shut down normal library business an hour before closing time, and provide a portable microphone setup so that everybody present can hear.  We can't move the built-in lectern mike from the library Community Room where they normally hold their meetings.

It also looks like I'll be obligated to stay there myself for however long it takes to complete the meeting.  I hate having to sit through Council meetings!  I keep up with what happens in them, but the actual experience of being there for the whole thing is a drag.

I've sat through board meetings like that. Be glad you don't have to do a tape transcription after the meeting, listening to the whole torturous thing again.

And weren't these the clowns who wouldn't mask up? I'd make signs denying access without a face covering, just for your own protection!

Call out for dinner, too, if you'd otherwise go home to eat. That's asking a lot.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on January 20, 2021, 05:01:32 PM
Quote from: apl68 on January 20, 2021, 10:07:14 AM

I've sat through board meetings like that. Be glad you don't have to do a tape transcription after the meeting, listening to the whole torturous thing again.

And weren't these the clowns who wouldn't mask up? I'd make signs denying access without a face covering, just for your own protection!

Call out for dinner, too, if you'd otherwise go home to eat. That's asking a lot.

M.

I think you're misunderstanding the Mayor.  She has been taking the COVID emergency very seriously since assuming office in the middle of it last year.  Last month she was facing an awkward, essential year-end budget meeting with a lot of moving parts.  I think she felt overwhelmed enough without also trying any sudden dramatic changes in the venue.  I don't agree with that judgement call on her part, but I think I understand why she made it. 

Anyway last month they got away with it.  This month she doesn't intend to take any chances.  The meeting they're planning for next week is going to be very by-the-guidelines--distancing, masks, health quizzes before anybody is let in, people guided to socially distanced seats, and public restrooms sprayed both before and after the event.  We tested the old portable mike system yesterday to make sure it still works.  It ought to be a very safe meeting. 

Still wish I didn't have to be there through the whole thing.  If I'd thought about it in time, I could have written up my annual Librarian's Report to the Council and gotten it on the meeting agenda.  Two birds with one stone.

mamselle

Oh, good. Glad to be wrong.

Stay safe.

M.

hmaria1609

Gov. Hogan wants to have hybrid learning for MD's public schools by March 1st:
https://wtop.com/coronavirus/2021/01/maryland-coronavirus-update-january-21/
From WTOP Radio online (1/21/21)

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on January 21, 2021, 07:39:36 AM
Oh, good. Glad to be wrong.

Stay safe.

M.

It's refreshing to hear somebody on this board who's glad to be wrong when there's a good reason for it.  Wish more posters had such a generous attitude. 

I can think of quite a few occasions when I've been glad to be wrong.  Here recently I've had some people (not on this board) whom I've been pleasantly surprised to learn that I had misjudged.

Cheerful

Current chatter is about better masks and wearing two masks.

Why can't the US manufacture a massive supply of N95s in the US?

clean

Why can't the US manufacture a massive supply of N95s in the US?

I bet we can, but not for a price that can compete with Asia. 

60 minutes had a show where a company in TX offered to produce the masks in quantity, but wanted the government to guarantee a minimum quantity. The government would not commit to the quantity, and that made the investment in the machines too risky.  So it CAN be done, but not without some assurances to the firms sticking out their necks.

AND N95s! 
Those are now one of the biggest group of fakes out there now!  I was given some that a coworker got from Costco.  No way that they are real!  I am not able to find the link this moment, but an N95 mask has certain qualities (including the placement of the straps).

So IF you see one, buyer be ware!! 

(I have p95 mask that I wear for most uses. I got it 2 years or so ago when I was doing wood work and yard work.  comparing that 3M product to the one from costco?  No comparison!) 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

writingprof

Why is "China virus" racist when "Brazil variant," currently including in a Washington Post headline, is not?  I'm (kind of) seriously asking.