News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

How have hyperlinks changed your writing?

Started by polly_mer, August 16, 2020, 05:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

I'm writing an operating manual that is currently 300 pages long with cross references so I'm doing a lot of hyperlinking.

However, I'm also writing a status report that will be circulated mainly as a PDF and I find myself hyperlinking there as well for the footnotes, citations (e.g., jump to the reference in the bibliography), and sections.

On another thread, wiki-like platforms are being discussed with the assertion that students could just use plain text.  Yet, every wiki-like platform I'm using for project communication has markup, markdown, LaTeX, or other way to embed hyperlinks and attachments.

Have you adapted to hyperlinks and now curse when you can't embed them where they should go?
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mamselle

I've been including them as a courtesy in bibliographies and footnotes just to make complete citations possible.

In some humanities journals, doi's weren't used for awhile, so that was my workaround for that, too.

I've not run into having them blocked; don't know if a journal might remove them if length were an issue in the notes; the long, odd "break-points" can be an issue there.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.