News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Post your asides here

Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Sometimes people who are outraged are their own problem.

little bongo

Sometimes. And sometimes we can solve the problem with a well-aimed frying pan and a sharp "Snap out of it."

mahagonny

You'll never hit me from there.

downer

You may want to move on, but I'm betting that there's a bunch of people who still want to give their opinions, because that's how they roll.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

polly_mer

Quote from: downer on September 07, 2020, 07:38:45 AM
You may want to move on, but I'm betting that there's a bunch of people who still want to give their opinions, because that's how they roll.

500 quatloos she won't just abandon the thread since she never has yet.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

apl68

You do realize that that past-due vendor invoice for ten cents that you just sent us cost more to mail than it was worth, don't you?  Anyway, sorry for the apparent underpayment.  We'll include it on this month's payment for services, and then we'll all be square.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Parasaurolophus

<unrelated>

I wonder why.
I know it's a genus.

FishProf

Hey look at that, I agree with you again!
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

little bongo

[unrelated]

Amazing. Every word in that sentence is wrong.

AmLitHist

Wow.  That must be some t.v.

little bongo

And then sometimes, someone just Wins the Internet. Congrats, jimbogumbo.

Parasaurolophus

<unrelated>

Does impostor syndrome warrant a self-nomination?
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Moi? Non.

I just figured I'd shake things up a bit.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

little bongo

<unrelated>

So at my school, we get trained in "difficult dialogues"--trying to see the other person's point of view, appreciating that everyone has followed their own paths to figure out what is true, and assuming good intentions from the start. And I'm generally for it.

However, perhaps because of my rapidly advancing years, I lose patience with Bigot Problems. And the reason I lose patience is because Bigot Problems are just so easy to solve.

Stop being a bigot.

See? Problem solved.

Also, I'd suggest the following: dry off behind the ears, gain some mileage, then straighten up and fly right. Again, not so hard.

mahagonny

Quote from: little bongo on September 15, 2020, 06:17:04 AM
<unrelated>

So at my school, we get trained in "difficult dialogues"--trying to see the other person's point of view, appreciating that everyone has followed their own paths to figure out what is true, and assuming good intentions from the start. And I'm generally for it.

However, perhaps because of my rapidly advancing years, I lose patience with Bigot Problems. And the reason I lose patience is because Bigot Problems are just so easy to solve.

Stop being a bigot.

See? Problem solved.

Also, I'd suggest the following: dry off behind the ears, gain some mileage, then straighten up and fly right. Again, not so hard.

Interesting that you characterize the difficult discussion as a problem. And then the discussion, now being a problem, prompts you to offer a solution, which you have ready. Whereas, if the parties just accept that they see things differently, then what was the problem in the first place?
You mention bigotry but not having heard the conversation it's impossible for me to be seeing the bigotry to which you refer. All I have to work with is someone thinks someone else is a bigot, which is as common as pigeons in Central Park.