News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The best predatorial journal come-ons

Started by Scout, June 14, 2019, 04:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scout

We all get them; let's post them!

This one was a new tactic, at least for me (I underlined my favorite bits).

"Dear Dr. Scout,

I am Lexy J. Miller, Editorial assistant from Siam Publishing Group Ltd. contacting you with the reference from our editorial department. Basing on your outstanding contribution to the scientific community, we would like to write a book for you.

Researchers like you are adding so much value to the scientific community, yet you are not getting enough exposure. No matter how many papers you publish in famous journals, you will be still unknown to common people. To solve this problem, we came up with this unique solution.

With our book writing service, we will write your research contributions in common man's language. We will also include all your published papers into this book in a way that a common man can understand it. And then, we will publish your book with our publishing group. Before, publication, we will send the draft to you for scientific accuracy, once you approve our draft, we then proceed for publication. You will get all the rights of your book, and all the sales generated from your book will be credited to you.

Your book will then be listed on famous websites like Amazon, eBay, Good Reads, and many other popular book websites. As a result, you will get good credit and people will recognize your hard work and your scientific contributions.

Last but not least, after the publication of your book, it will be published in Google News, Yahoo, and other major news channels. What more can you ask for?

All we need is your book writing contract, and you will get all the rights for your book.

Will be waiting to hear from you.

Best Regards,"

Spammy McSpammer

polly_mer

Whoa, Scout!

That message is a thing of beauty.  I have clearly been missing a trick by not publishing my book in Google News, a major news channel.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Scout

Quote from: polly_mer on June 14, 2019, 04:10:25 AM
Whoa, Scout!

That message is a thing of beauty.  I have clearly been missing a trick by not publishing my book in Google News, a major news channel.

I mean, I'd be doing the common man such a service!

ETA: my sister, who is also a faculty member, suggested this title:

Title - The Papers of the Very Esteemed, Most Famous in World and Often Very Busy Dr. Scout written in Lay Language so that Nobody will be Left Out

aside

Quote from: Scout on June 14, 2019, 04:24:24 AM
Quote from: polly_mer on June 14, 2019, 04:10:25 AM
Whoa, Scout!

They totally should use Fanfare for the Common Man as their soundtrack.

polly_mer

Title - The Papers of the Very Esteemed, Most Famous in World and Often Very Busy Dr. Scout written in Lay Language so that Nobody will be Left Out

HOF!
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mythbuster

Wow. I can't beat that. But I did have one offer that that included in the signature line the address.  It was (no kidding) a street about 2 blocks from where I grew up. I can assure you that this is entirely a residential neighborhood, and NOT an office building. Confirmed for me that most of these are run off of someone's laptop.

OOH, maybe we should all start our own. Blue Rhino Publishing! Who has the most prestigious sounding address?

Scout

Quote from: polly_mer on June 14, 2019, 04:49:17 AM

HOF!

Cool!

Scout

Quote from: mythbuster on June 14, 2019, 08:57:27 AM
Wow. I can't beat that. But I did have one offer that that included in the signature line the address.  It was (no kidding) a street about 2 blocks from where I grew up. I can assure you that this is entirely a residential neighborhood, and NOT an office building. Confirmed for me that most of these are run off of someone's laptop.

OOH, maybe we should all start our own. Blue Rhino Publishing! Who has the most prestigious sounding address?

I am 100% behind your prestigious and esteemed idea.

Either that or come-on bingo boards.

sugaree

I don't recall the journal or the exact wording of this message that I get about once/month. The "journal" simply loves my valuable research on "X" and invites me to send an article, etc.

X =  a published book review of someone else's book

ergative

Quote from: sugaree on June 16, 2019, 12:21:46 PM
I don't recall the journal or the exact wording of this message that I get about once/month. The "journal" simply loves my valuable research on "X" and invites me to send an article, etc.

X =  a published book review of someone else's book

Well, clearly they don't love your work as much as they love mine; I am constantly begged to join the editorial board!

backatit

I'm going to forward this to my colleagues in Scientific and Technical Communication. I can see a whole new career field for them!

saramago

My own favorite: I was invited to send "a research paper on any topic, in any format, and at any stage". 

citrine

Quote from: saramago on June 19, 2019, 04:01:56 PM
My own favorite: I was invited to send "a research paper on any topic, in any format, and at any stage".

I'd be so tempted to send a single word written on a napkin in crayon.

aside

Quote from: citrine on June 20, 2019, 07:27:41 AM
Quote from: saramago on June 19, 2019, 04:01:56 PM

I'd be so tempted to send a single word written on a napkin in crayon.

Yes, or using letters cut from various magazines.

Biologist_

Most of these emails go to my spam folder so I'm not willing to click on them to see past the subject header and first few words.

I get some amusement from the subject headers, but now I feel like I might be missing out on the best parts.