News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Favorite student emails

Started by ergative, July 03, 2019, 03:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puget

An actual favorite-- senior who graduated in Dec, and who had a really tough final semester with family and health issues, took an incomplete, and squeaked through with a C- in the end, emailed me this today:

QuoteI hope you are doing well. I am so grateful I was able to take your class last semester. Your class has helped me gain a job as a Behavior technician. I really enjoy working with [population]. Being able to take your class introduced me to [topic]. Now I am able to not only work with them but also use the scientific methods I learned in research methods to carry out my own research. Thank you so much for everything.

Made my week!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

darkstarrynight

Quote from: Puget on March 01, 2021, 06:12:34 PM
An actual favorite-- senior who graduated in Dec, and who had a really tough final semester with family and health issues, took an incomplete, and squeaked through with a C- in the end, emailed me this today:

QuoteI hope you are doing well. I am so grateful I was able to take your class last semester. Your class has helped me gain a job as a Behavior technician. I really enjoy working with [population]. Being able to take your class introduced me to [topic]. Now I am able to not only work with them but also use the scientific methods I learned in research methods to carry out my own research. Thank you so much for everything.

Made my week!

Bravo! You have made an impact!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Puget on March 01, 2021, 06:12:34 PM

Made my week!

Cool beans!

Langue_doc

This one just in; subject line: Important

Hi , are you able to see what I posted on the discussion because it's just showing a blank screen

Stu, if you are seeing a blank screen, all you have to do is repost your comments. I cannot grade blank screens nor can I wave a magic wand to make your comments visible.

In addition, didn't you read the directions on email protocols about what to include in your subject line, salutations, and signing off?

Charlotte

Student: You told me I had to wait two days before responding to classmates. You wrote, "post replies over a minimum of two days." So I waited the required two days before replying to classmates. Why didn't I get credit?

How does the statement to post replies over a minimum two days mean to wait two days?

Langue_doc

Quote from: Charlotte on March 04, 2021, 06:27:42 AM
Student: You told me I had to wait two days before responding to classmates. You wrote, "post replies over a minimum of two days." So I waited the required two days before replying to classmates. Why didn't I get credit?

How does the statement to post replies over a minimum two days mean to wait two days?

My students won't get this. So I have to tell them to post their replies by Day/Time. I assign weekly discussions, the first part of which has to be completed by Wednesday, and the second part, response to a classmate, by Friday. The deadlines are usually 9 PM on Wednesdays and 5 PM on Fridays.

Charlotte

Quote from: Langue_doc on March 04, 2021, 09:13:11 AM

My students won't get this. So I have to tell them to post their replies by Day/Time. I assign weekly discussions, the first part of which has to be completed by Wednesday, and the second part, response to a classmate, by Friday. The deadlines are usually 9 PM on Wednesdays and 5 PM on Fridays.

Yes, I tell them to post their initial post by Wednesday, 11:59pm and then three responses to classmates over a minimum two days. I'm having so many confused students that I'm going to have to figure out how to reword it so it's clear. I'm trying to avoid them posting all their replies the night it's due because there is no class discussion when that happens.

I got tired of students complaining about discussions and trying to avoid them so I did an experimental class this semester and took the discussions out, replacing them with short reflection exercises. Halfway through the semester, I asked the class which they prefer: discussions or reflections. All the students have been in a previous class with discussions so I wanted to see what they thought. Most of the students who responded said they prefer discussions. I was surprised but I've made it an option to switch to discussions for the remainder of the class. They still have some time to decide, but so far about half the class wants to change to discussions.

AvidReader

Please respond to at least n different classmates/posts on at least two different days. All responses should be submitted by [day] at [time].

AR.

onehappyunicorn

I had a student send an email with the body of the email typed into the subject line.
They also sent it to another faculty member who has a first name similar to but not exactly like mine. The colleague was kind enough to forward it to me with some amusement.

Puget

Quote from: onehappyunicorn on March 04, 2021, 12:35:57 PM
I had a student send an email with the body of the email typed into the subject line.

One of my senior (in years, not just seniority) colleagues does this regularly. I'm not convinced he really understands the difference between an email and a text message.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Charlotte

Quote from: AvidReader on March 04, 2021, 11:45:26 AM
Please respond to at least n different classmates/posts on at least two different days. All responses should be submitted by [day] at [time].

AR.

Perfect! Thank you! I really need to work on improving/being more concise in my language. I didn't realize how much I needed to work on my writing skills until I began teaching.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Charlotte on March 04, 2021, 04:32:46 PM

AR.

Perfect! Thank you! I really need to work on improving/being more concise in my language. I didn't realize how much I needed to work on my writing skills until I began teaching.

This is the basis of what Murphy, (of "Murphy's Law" fame), meant. If there is a way that it's possible for something to be done wrong, eventually someone will find it. I've been writing lab instructions for over 30 years, and I've gotten better at it, but it's still nowhere close to a given that my instructions will be understood by everyone.
It takes so little to be above average.

FishProf

Quote from: marshwiggle on March 05, 2021, 04:12:26 AM

AR.

This is the basis of what Murphy, (of "Murphy's Law" fame), meant. If there is a way that it's possible for something to be done wrong, eventually someone will find it. I've been writing lab instructions for over 30 years, and I've gotten better at it, but it's still nowhere close to a given that my instructions will be understood by everyone.

When I have a syllabus that doesn't need to be updated to close another "loophole for the stupid" I will have found the Holy Grail and shall retire. 

It doesn't look likely anytime soon.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

AvidReader

AR.

Speaking of loopholes, I realized after I wrote this that it needs the word "total" somewhere so they know they don't need to respond to n each day. I'd add it after classmates/posts. Otherwise, you'll have students emailing you about it!

AR.

WidgetWoman

FishProf:
QuoteWhen I have a syllabus that doesn't need to be updated to close another "loophole for the stupid" I will have found the Holy Grail and shall retire.

It doesn't look likely anytime soon.
is epic. I want to cross stitch that on a pillow.  Do we still have a hall of fame?
(... I am new to quoting in fora. Be kind, please)