News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Something I just realized

Started by pedanticromantic, July 20, 2019, 08:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedanticromantic

Me at start of semester: "ah! Don't ask me to do something for you, it's the start of semester! I'm busy!"
Me in middle of semester: "ah! Don't ask me to do something for you, it's the middle of semester! I'm busy!"
Me at end of semester: "ah! Don't ask me to do something for you, it's the end of semester! I'm busy!"

Me in summer: "ah! Don't ask me to do something for you, it's summer! I'm busy!"

polly_mer

Quote from: pedanticromantic on July 20, 2019, 08:13:09 AM
Me at start of semester: "ah! Don't ask me to do something for you, it's the start of semester! I'm busy!"
Me in middle of semester: "ah! Don't ask me to do something for you, it's the middle of semester! I'm busy!"
Me at end of semester: "ah! Don't ask me to do something for you, it's the end of semester! I'm busy!"

Me in summer: "ah! Don't ask me to do something for you, it's summer! I'm busy!"

So, so true that I put it in the Posting Hall of Fame!
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

pedanticromantic

Thanks...I realized that anytime someone contacts me I think "don't they know not to contact faculty at _start_  or _middle_ or _end_ of semester to ask for something?" and then realized there is NO good time to contact me to ask me to do something for you.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't manage this insane workload. I've been getting better at saying "no" as I get older, but I'm also asked to do a whole lot more stuff as I get older, so whereas as an assistant prof I said "yes" to 90% of requests, I now say "no" to 90% of requests, but I'm still busier than I was then. 

mleok

It has never really occurred to me, but you're certainly right that there never seems to be a good time to add to the workload, since we're all so overloaded at any time of the year.

mamselle

Once the first third of a necklace is designed, the rest will make itself.

Or you can start with the earrings.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.