How much does "face time" matter in today's digital world?

Started by AJ_Katz, July 24, 2019, 09:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kron3007

Quote from: marshwiggle on July 25, 2019, 06:31:43 AM
Quote from: Kron3007 on July 24, 2019, 05:49:19 PM
On the flip side, I also put in a lot of face time now as my students need regular guidance and support.  Some faculty delegate this to technicians and postdocs, but for now I am heavy on students, light on staff, so it falls on me.  That being said, I think I will remain pretty involved as I have seen delegating too much have bad results and it is my job.

Quote from: polly_mer on July 25, 2019, 05:52:51 AM
The three people working exactly in your area are probably less useful for that broad job search than the people one regularly chats with over the photocopier or waiting for the microwave in the break room.

Both of these illustrate the point that it's the informal nature of face-to-face meetings that doesn't really work electronically.  Teaching in a lab, I notice (and point out to TAs) that if you walk around, students will ask questions that they wouldn't even if you were standing at the side of the room and not busy.

When I was a grad student, my supervisor was a Dean, but still tried to have lunch with the research group frequently. That was good, but one of my recommendations for potential grad students would be to find a supervisor who spends significant time in the lab. The kind of "Oh, by the way...." conversations you'll have in person are not going to happen (or not nearly as much) electronically.

Yes, I walk through the lab at least daily, often more,and most of my student meetings are informal spur of the moment chats.  I really need to see what they are doing and look at heir samples to give the best advice and I also need to take breaks from my computer screen so it seems like a good practice.  In my field, visual observation is important, so it is important to have an experiences eye on the ground.

This also gives me a pretty good idea of which students are putting in time and which ones are not.  I can tell you, that this has a pretty strong relationship with productivity.

nescafe

I'm in the humanities (history), but I am convinced that as a grad student I was remembered for internal funding, posh work assignments, and other opportunities because I was at the office almost daily. I now encourage my grad students to put in face time similarly; there is no need for a 9-5 work schedule, but popping in for 1-2 hours 4 to 5 times a week keeps you from falling off the department's radar. Obviously, there are external constraints for some students (job or family-related), but there are ways to establish a presence without being in all the time.

I'm an AP now and try to stick to a 4 day work week, with one half-day in there. My dept colleagues seem to come in considerably less frequently, depending on rank, but I still find that the untenured scholars who aren't observably present draw comment (fair or unfair).

Kron3007

Back to the OP, I actually think you could make the argument that face time, or at least the need to deliberately make the effort for it, is even more important in the digital era where it is so easy to avoid real interaction. 

For example, I used to question the value of conferences given that technology could allow online meetings and deliver the information just as well as live presentations at a fraction of the cost/energy/etc.  While I think that is true, with experience I have realized that the information and presentations at conferences is somewhat secondary and their real value is networking/face time.  When I applied for tenure, it was people that I had met at conferences or other in person events that were used.  Every time I submit a grant application or paper I am asked to suggest reviewers.  Without a doubt, it is best to use reviewers that you have met in person and can put a face to the name (unless you are that abbrasive...). 

It's kind of like all the studies that even with social media and our ability to communicate, youth generally feel more isolated these days.   

AJ_Katz

Quote from: Kron3007 on July 26, 2019, 09:52:31 AM
Back to the OP, I actually think you could make the argument that face time, or at least the need to deliberately make the effort for it, is even more important in the digital era where it is so easy to avoid real interaction. 

For example, I used to question the value of conferences given that technology could allow online meetings and deliver the information just as well as live presentations at a fraction of the cost/energy/etc.  While I think that is true, with experience I have realized that the information and presentations at conferences is somewhat secondary and their real value is networking/face time.  When I applied for tenure, it was people that I had met at conferences or other in person events that were used.  Every time I submit a grant application or paper I am asked to suggest reviewers.  Without a doubt, it is best to use reviewers that you have met in person and can put a face to the name (unless you are that abbrasive...). 

It's kind of like all the studies that even with social media and our ability to communicate, youth generally feel more isolated these days.   

Right...  except the fact that most of our faculty and even the department head are not around really contradicts that message, which is where I face this internal conflict.

Kron3007

Quote from: AJ_Katz on July 26, 2019, 10:22:15 AM
Quote from: Kron3007 on July 26, 2019, 09:52:31 AM

Right...  except the fact that most of our faculty and even the department head are not around really contradicts that message, which is where I face this internal conflict.

That does make it harder, I suppose my department is a little different as many people are present (not all).  However, I dont think this means it is less important, just that you have to work harder to make it happen.  For example, you could be strategic about which committee work you do to get face time with people who approve T&P decisions, decide which departmental grants move forward, who is nominated for awards, etc.     

glowdart

Quote from: Antiphon1 on July 25, 2019, 08:58:26 AM
Cueing up "You Gotta Have Friends"

You should have a work buddy in every building/major office on campus.  These persons needn't be your best friends or even a people you'd necessarily socialize with off campus.  These are the go to connections who keep you in the know and put in a discrete word at the right time.  They also help build the institutional memory and/or shortcuts allowing us to avoid unnecessary blocks at exactly the wrong time.  For instance, you may have flaked on an important deadline.  Your friend in that office can expedite a solution thus avoiding a delay or work stoppage. Please remember, though, these relationships are reciprocal.  Your will be called on to return the favor.  Do it.  And smile.  Your turn will come if you patiently cultivate those relationships.

At my campus, this is one big reason why face time matters.

Come review time, if you're never on campus and you're not incredibly productive in research, then it can become a problem. You're perceived as not contributing and, honestly, it is really hard to make an argument for a borderline tenure case when no one knows you. I've seen this happen — when the Provost grabs me after a meeting and asks what I think & if there's a way to frame the case, it's not good if my answer is "I just don't know" because I've had maybe three banal chats with you in seven years.

And, our admin is increasingly angry about people who aren't on campus because they are perceived (and in some cases, actually) not pulling their weight. In these days when we're all afraid of making the classes and retaining those students, FaceTime that leads to informal & formal mentoring is seen as vitally important.

On the other hand, you have to protect your time. It's a balance of being there to build relationships that you will need and getting your work done. Connect, protect, and be mindful of appearances. Be at the main events, shake the right hands, pop in during the summer once a week, empty your blasted mailbox during the semester, talk to people, don't skip office hours, etc.

Caracal

Quote from: nescafe on July 26, 2019, 02:03:25 AM
I'm in the humanities (history), but I am convinced that as a grad student I was remembered for internal funding, posh work assignments, and other opportunities because I was at the office almost daily. I now encourage my grad students to put in face time similarly; there is no need for a 9-5 work schedule, but popping in for 1-2 hours 4 to 5 times a week keeps you from falling off the department's radar. Obviously, there are external constraints for some students (job or family-related), but there are ways to establish a presence without being in all the time.

I generally agree. Being around in a vague sense keeps you connected in a bunch of helpful ways. As a grad student, I formed a lot of relationships with other students just because we all worked in the same places. Some of these people became good friends, but just being on comfortable, friendly terms with people gave me lots of institutional and professional knowledge.

Ditto for work relationships. As I mentioned somewhere else, just having an office as an adjunct has mattered a great deal because I get to know people and in the process of chit chat and grumbling about students I've learned some useful things about University and department culture.

ciao_yall

A lot.

Because nothing is funnier than all the conferences all about the Digital World where everyone gets together and schmoozes about the end of Traditional Education and the Rise of Online Learning and the Death of the Sophocles-Style Classroom.

Over coffee, donuts and cocktails.

In big hotels, with nametags, passing business cards around.

polly_mer

Quote from: ciao_yall on July 27, 2019, 08:14:08 AM
A lot.

Because nothing is funnier than all the conferences all about the Digital World where everyone gets together and schmoozes about the end of Traditional Education and the Rise of Online Learning and the Death of the Sophocles-Style Classroom.

Over coffee, donuts and cocktails.

In big hotels, with nametags, passing business cards around.

HOF!
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

jdiaz62

I think that facetime can be an incredibly great thing in education, but being an online education student, I believe it can be seen in different ways. In my time in school, I was able to skype, conference in, and screencast, which has helped in the overall learning process. I have also utilized many different kinds of apps, which has helped me connect with my classmates and have built many connections. I wonder if anyone has had a different experience and thoughts on this topic.

backatit

I team fully online, and go in for department meetings and my university committee meetings, but otherwise don't go in. I do take on high-profile assignments for my department, which I think helps, and I work hard to establish a collegial presence. I do a LOT of conferencing with my students (I use zoom currently as well as the course conferencing software), and I think that helps establish my presence in my online classes. At least my students say that :D. I'm actually teaching students who will be working a lot in this type of environment, so it does fit well for me.

newprofwife

If work can be done from home and you are still productive, there is no need to spend 40-80 hours in an office. However, there is some need to be in the office like for meetings, classes, committee work, campus events, etc.

My husband is super productive and he works from home about 2-3 days. Also, working from home means that you might do your best work at 5am or midnight or on the weekends. You don't get this flexibility when you are forced to work the traditional 8-5 pm schedule.

Face time should be reserved for complex and emergency situations.

I have a traditional staff job on campus. Most of my work with staff is done via email. Technically, I could work from home since I rarely talk even on the phone. I've been here for years and some of my best work is done with staff that I collaborate with via online.

There are aspects of my job that must be done in person like student meetings. However, there are long stretches when students are not on campus.

We are moving more in the direction of remote/online work. Students also love interacting this way.

I can't wait to see if 5-15 years from now, most of my work can be done from home or remotely. There are days when I don't even talk to my co-workers in person. We just email so I don't see the point of continuing to work in the office if we are not even interacting face to face and we have all this technology.               

mamselle

Reviving for context.

Nine months ago, this was an active, albeit non-emergent concern.

Now...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

I have more scheduled meetings with some people because we'll never catch up in the halls.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

AJ_Katz

Our university is now closed, except for essential personnel.  Nearly all work is now remote.  I continue to have 1-hr weekly meeting with all of my graduate students, now via Zoom, and fear that many will not make as much progress.  I have also had a difficult time transitioning to online-only work.  Spending 15 hrs week in Zoom meetings is taking a toll on my ability to sit at the computer to get emails sent and writing done.  I also miss getting the chance to interact with people during periods of time when I need to take screen breaks.  Walking around my backyard is far less productive use of my screen breaks compared to just stopping by people's offices and the lab to see how their work is doing.