News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Comfort Food Suggestions?

Started by smallcleanrat, November 19, 2020, 06:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallcleanrat

After a visit to urgent care and a dose of prescription anti-nausea meds, for the first time in days I no longer feel like my abdomen has been used as a punching bag.

Tentatively reintroducing regular meals to my routine, but trying to ease into it. Find myself staring into the pantry trying to decide what would be the best recovery fuel.

Anyone willing to share their go-to foods for when they are not feeling well?

WidgetWoman

Chicken noodle soup is my favorite, especially when we have homemade broth in the house (canned/boxed stuff works too, though). I like to add a squeeze of lime juice and cilantro for a change. I'm usually really light on the meat (or sometimes omit entirely), and really go with what I'm feeling up for with veggies and noodles or rice.

Feel better soon!

ohnoes

Tater tots and ginger ale are my miracle drugs.

mythbuster

mamselle

Soda crackers and any light fizzy soda for queasy tummies are good (the crackers use baking soda, a base, for rising, and the CO2 in the soda helps balance an acidic stomach as well...I always keep some in the house.)

Lately, I've discovered raw spinach also settles my tummy, which has gotten more crotchety, lately, too.

If acid-base balance is less of an issue, cheese toast or cheese on crackers is my go-to. (Interthreadulity)

Glad you're feeling more like eating!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: ohnoes on November 19, 2020, 07:18:06 AM
Tater tots and ginger ale are my miracle drugs.

Tater tots are my go to comfort food.  SO scoffs at tater tots, but since they are cheap doesn't argue (just gives me an amused side-eye when he find them in the freezer). Also soft batch chocolate chip cookies and Coke (childhood memories). If I really can't think of something, I tend to have eggs, toast, and fruit, but I realize that eggs may not be good for some stomach issues.

mahagonny

arcturus

I agree with chicken noodle soup and ginger ale and soda crackers as go-to foods when I am not feeling well. I migrate toward tomato-based soups (tomato soup; minestrone; pasta fagioli) as I start to recover, but a basic meat-based broth is the place to start. Soups are good comfort food, as they help with re-hydration as well as providing the basic nutrients you need.

Puget

Stomach issue foods:
Pasta with butter and parmesan
Buttered toast
Brothy soups with noodles (I'm vegetarian so veggie broth rather than chicken)

General comfort foods:
Mac and cheese
Hearty soups and chili
Grilled cheese
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Harlow2

Ginger tea and apples, not at the same time.

Parasaurolophus

Crackers or toast with butter and nutritional yeast. Apple sauce. Dry Rice Krispies/Special K.
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I'm glad you're finally feeling some relief, SCR! :)

For me, when my tum is feeling icky, I go to:

ginger ale
buttered rice/noodles
applesauce/canned peaches
toast
clear broth soup
saltines

apl68

Things that are crunchy and salty.

Sometimes hot chocolate, in cold weather.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

clean

QuoteThings that are crunchy and salty.
NOT

I deal with Meniere's disease.  (an inner ear issue... AKA 'watchmaker's disease')  It is a condition common now with female accountants.  It mostly acts up when one is focusing on a narrow field of view (like a computer screen).

The issue is that when it acts up, you throw up, a lot.  Every time you move, you throw up.  With enough practice, you CAN throw up without moving!

Antivert is the prescription that works best, though Dramamine or Bonine are the OTC equivalents.  (Valium helps too).

The relevant issue:

I have found that fresh baked cookies and chocolate milk are the best thing to eat IF one is nearing an episode of massive nausea.
(You can you the ready to bake ones... that what I get).

Why?  Because milk and  fresh baked cookies taste the least worst when they come back up!

(note that salty foods cause fluid retention which worsens the problems in the inner ear, and should therefore be avoided)

Avoid things that will cause any acid feeling, including peanut butter (and recees cups)

ON a cruise, the advice from a Crab Fisherman was to eat apples.  Same as the cookies... if/when it comes back it is closer to apple sauce, so not terrible.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader