News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Breakfast Thread

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, July 10, 2020, 09:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Breakfast al fresco (or "with Al Fresco" from the book I'm reading) sounds really nice. 

I'm being a good girl and having a (first?) breakfast of a bowl of oatmeal with local honey.

Liquidambar

Quote from: ab_grp on July 13, 2020, 08:25:13 AM
Breakfast al fresco (or "with Al Fresco" from the book I'm reading) sounds really nice.

I hope my friends will think so too.  I had no luck buying patio furniture this morning.  Everything is fancy and heavy.  I really just want the cheapo lightweight plastic kind because I anticipate regularly carrying it between front and side porches.  (One has shade, and the other has a roof in case of rain.)
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

ab_grp

That sounds just like our house! We have two sets of furniture, so we don't have to move it, but it's meager.  Each patio area has a love seat and a coffee table.  The one with the roof, which is facing east and impossible to use for half the morning but is the favorite, also has two side chairs.  I would like to have more of a dining set, but I don't think we have enough room.  We got our furniture from Home Depot, and it's mostly metal and/or glass (one table top).  We also have some sturdy folding plastic chairs from Sam's that we take from place to place as needed.  Have you considered a folding table? That might be pretty portable.  I think it can feel so decadent to eat outside! I hope you have better luck with your furniture search.

Liquidambar

Thanks, ab_grp.  I have one more local store to check, but maybe I can order online if necessary.  None of the folding tables I saw online stood out to me (the one I liked had bad reviews), but I should try another search.  As you say, it would be good for portability.  Hopefully I can get this sorted tomorrow.  I'm excited to eat outside!
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

Puget

That Old Cape Magic?
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

ab_grp

Quote from: Puget on July 13, 2020, 06:42:12 PM

That Old Cape Magic?

Correcto!

secundem_artem

Quote from: ab_grp on July 14, 2020, 08:32:57 AM

That Old Cape Magic?

Correcto!

Breakfast with Al Fresco sounds great.  I had dinner once with Sam Manella and that was just terrible.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

ab_grp

Quote from: secundem_artem on July 14, 2020, 10:23:15 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on July 14, 2020, 08:32:57 AM

That Old Cape Magic?

Correcto!

Breakfast with Al Fresco sounds great.  I had dinner once with Sam Manella and that was just terrible.

That took me a second... hahaha! Sorry if you did, in fact, have a date with Sam.

Liquidambar

Fresh peaches continue to be abundant in the stores, so I continue to breakfast on oatmeal with peaches and pecans.  This morning's tea:  Adagio Draught of Peace (another of my Harry Potter themed teas).  It's a black tea flavored with apricot and vanilla.  It also has marigold petals to make it look pretty.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Liquidambar on July 16, 2020, 08:17:05 AM
Fresh peaches continue to be abundant in the stores, so I continue to breakfast on oatmeal with peaches and pecans.  This morning's tea:  Adagio Draught of Peace (another of my Harry Potter themed teas).  It's a black tea flavored with apricot and vanilla.  It also has marigold petals to make it look pretty.

Sounds so good!

ab_grp

A really good fresh peach is divine!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Beverage = Darjeeling tea + 1 tsp. sugar

Main = 1/2 cup of oatmeal + 1 tsp. sugar + a pinch of cinnamon

Been feeling 'ooky' so, I'm going bland.

ab_grp

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 16, 2020, 10:11:09 AM

I hope you get to feeling better and less ooky.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: ab_grp on July 16, 2020, 10:13:39 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 16, 2020, 10:11:09 AM

I hope you get to feeling better and less ooky.

Thanks. I am taking a step in the right direction.

Liquidambar

This morning I supplemented my oatmeal with a scrambled egg so I could make it through gym class without getting hungry.  (The scrambled egg was separate, not mixed with the oatmeal.)

I have new teas!  This morning's tea:  August Know by Heart ("White tea with orange blossom, almond and honey").  It smelled amazing, but the flavor wasn't as strong as that led me to expect.  Maybe I'll steep it longer next time.  I was able to taste the honey flavor, though.

Yesterday morning's tea:  August Cabaret ("Malty black tea with chocolate and dark cherry").  It was okay, but I have other fruit-and-chocolate teas that I like better because they have a more complexed, balanced flavor.  In particular, I prefer August Breathless ("Silky black tea with white chocolate and brandied prune notes") and Adagio Veritaserum (chocolate raspberry black tea).  Those both contain hazelnut, which I think helps a lot with the flavor.  Still, I'll try adding cream and sugar to the Cabaret next time to see if that improves it.