Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Who do you want to see indicted first?

Started by secundem_artem, November 13, 2020, 12:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on November 14, 2020, 07:00:37 AM
Quote from: clean on November 14, 2020, 06:42:57 AM
QuoteI appreciate this thread for doing its small part to remind conservatives that our political opponents want us dead, thus justifying any action we can take to stop them.

I concur.  I think that this thread is in poor taste. 

I add a quote from Gomer Pyle, "Shame, Shame, Shame".

What boggles my mind is that, given how frequently the party in power switches, what goes around must inevitably come around, and yet people refuse to consider how it will be when (not if) the shoe is on the other foot.

Or the Mitt is on the other hand.

spork

Many of those indictable have already been indicted/convicted/imprisoned: Roger Stone, Paul Manafort, Michael Cohen, Michael Flynn, Rick Gates, George Papadopolous, and George Nader (who ought to be very interesting to QAnon morons as a serial convicted pedophile, but isn't).

Rudy Giuliani was neck deep in halting aid to Ukraine at Russia's behest, so I would definitely like to see him imprisoned if convicted.

My wife and I recently watched The Trial of the Chicago 7 on Netflix. She isn't originally from the USA and I had to explain to her that Attorney General John Mitchell, who is depicted at the beginning of the film, went to prison, along with many other members of the Nixon Administration. So this kind of thing isn't unheard of in the USA.

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

eigen

Quote from: writingprof on November 14, 2020, 06:26:09 AM
I appreciate this thread for doing its small part to remind conservatives that our political opponents want us dead, thus justifying any action we can take to stop them.

The horror of wanting people who have been protected from prosecution due to positions of political power to be held accountable for their actions in a fair trial. That certainly is the exact same thing as "wanting political opponents dead".
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

Parasaurolophus

I appreciate this thread for doing its small part to remind conservatives that our political opponents want us dead, thus justifying any action we can take to stop them.

Who said that the appropriate punishment for the violation of any law was death at the hands of institutionally-empowered actors? Oh, right. Conservatives, but only about non-white people.

See? Anyone can make their own straw person and play along. Prosecution ≠ death.
I know it's a genus.

secundem_artem

Quote from: clean on November 14, 2020, 06:42:57 AM
QuoteI appreciate this thread for doing its small part to remind conservatives that our political opponents want us dead, thus justifying any action we can take to stop them.

I concur.  I think that this thread is in poor taste. 

I add a quote from Gomer Pyle, "Shame, Shame, Shame".

Oh lighten up Francis.  After 4 years of listening to "Lock her up!  Lock her up!" a small bit of turn around seems like fair play.  And it's not as if I was serious in suggesting Baron Trump (age 14) be pulled from his parents and put in a cage.  I'll leave that kind of stuff to the the MAGA hats all now screaming fraud.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

writingprof

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 14, 2020, 01:06:56 PM
Prosecution ≠ death.

Didn't I read the phrase "up against the wall" earlier in this thread?

dismalist

How do we get people to live together peacefully?

Federalism isn't popular with the left. How about some political cleansing, then?
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jimbogumbo

marshwiggle

Quote from: eigen on November 14, 2020, 12:05:37 PM

The horror of wanting people who have been protected from prosecution due to positions of political power to be held accountable for their actions in a fair trial. That certainly is the exact same thing as "wanting political opponents dead".

Just to clarify: I have no problem with the normal wheels of justice investingating and posecuting lawbreakers; what does disturb me is the idea of any new political regime using the powers of office to kickstart or accelerate the process against their rivals. The whole "Lock her up!" thing four years ago was very disturbing for the same reason. In that case, after the election the mob seemed to lose interest.
It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

Well, Donald decided to play rough, and that's what happens if you play rough.

writingprof

Quote from: jimbogumbo on November 14, 2020, 02:44:56 PM
Quote from: writingprof on November 14, 2020, 02:34:46 PM
Prosecution ≠ death.

Probably. But, what on earth do YOU think it means?

https://www.phrases.com/phrase/up-against-the-wall_45115

I'm confused by your confusion.  "Up against the wall" is where they put you before they shoot you.  How do you not know that?  Then again, a forumite seemed never to have heard of the Berlin Wall earlier this year (was it you?), so nothing should surprise me anymore.

dismalist

QuoteThen again, a forumite seemed never to have heard of the Berlin Wall earlier this year

I'll never forget that. It was the first time, ever, I got knocked off my perch in a political discussion. Just dropped my jaw. [No, it wasn't anyone on this thread so far.]
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

Well, when you're 'progressive' it helps to have villainous hidebound adversaries for the perception that you're processing away from meanness instead of away from what sanity you still have left.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: writingprof on November 14, 2020, 05:32:20 PM
Prosecution ≠ death.

I'm confused by your confusion.  "Up against the wall" is where they put you before they shoot you.  How do you not know that?  Then again, a forumite seemed never to have heard of the Berlin Wall earlier this year (was it you?), so nothing should surprise me anymore.

I know people think that. I should have phrased my question better, using why in place of what and adding that as the conclusion. I'm saying your interpretation is not what was implied in the context of indictments. I am also a big proponent of not having firing squads fire at walls.

marshwiggle

Quote from: jimbogumbo on November 15, 2020, 06:48:22 AM
Quote from: writingprof on November 14, 2020, 05:32:20 PM
Prosecution ≠ death.

I know people think that. I should have phrased my question better, using why in place of what and adding that as the conclusion. I'm saying your interpretation is not what was implied in the context of indictments. I am also a big proponent of not having firing squads fire at walls.

Typically they're firing at people; the walls are just there for the bullets that miss.
It takes so little to be above average.