News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Movie Thread

Started by overthejordan, May 17, 2019, 11:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monarda

Reviving this thread- what movies are you watching on Netflix (or whatever other software you use?)

We watched "Last Tango in Halifax" and loved that. We need something new to watch.

mamselle

I just put down an article by Anthony Lane in The New Yorker ("A Bug's Life," pp. 57-62) reviewing a wide range of disaster/epidemic/mad-scientist-loose-among-the-populace films, which I thought could have served as the syllabus of a course on the subject all by itself.

Maybe one of those would do?

;-->

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Vkw10

Not a movie, but I just finished A Discovery of Witches, season 1, which was amazingly faithful to the book. Bought it from Amazon. Might have to subscribe to a streaming service when season 2 is released.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Stockmann

The Invitation. The premise does involve some interesting elements (grief, etc) added on to the standar dinner-party-from-hell subgenre - but the movie then completely wastes them and becomes bog-standard fare, with behavior that makes zero psychological sense by several characters, including the leads. Not really worth watching.

hmaria1609

I watched "Queen Margot" on Kanopy. (Accessible from the library online) It's an adaptation of the eponymous novel by Alexandre Dumas. I haven't read the novel, however, I read and own the dual biography The Rival Queens by Nancy Goldstone.

Adaptation of Jane Austen's Sense & Sensibility (2008)

Quote from: Vkw10 on May 22, 2020, 06:51:50 PM
Not a movie, but I just finished A Discovery of Witches, season 1, which was amazingly faithful to the book. Bought it from Amazon. Might have to subscribe to a streaming service when season 2 is released.
Have you read the rest of the "All Souls" trilogy novels? I've seen copies of the trilogy at the library but haven't read them.

Economizer

ARE MANY STATES allowing new release theaters to open?  Will there be a logjam of new releases coming out at once?

So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Parasaurolophus

Tonight we're watching This is Spinal Tap and Anvil: The Story of Anvil, because my partner has never had the pleasure.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

We've mostly been watching comedies lately due to some severe stress surrounding work (Pitch Perfect 1, 2; Better Off Dead; Groundhog Day).  Last night we watched Serenity, which my spouse had shared with me a few years ago.  We recently watched Firefly, so we rewatched the movie, and it definitely connected more for me after seeing the show. 

clean

QuoteARE MANY STATES allowing new release theaters to open?  Will there be a logjam of new releases coming out at once?

I think that we are legal. I believe that one independent has opened somewhere in the county.

For the most part, the big ones have remained closed. I got a survey from Alamo Drafthouse a few weeks ago. It asked some questions about reopening ... like would we be willing to pay $10 a person in food purchases in addition to admissions?

At present, though, there are no releases to show, so no real reason to rush to reopen. 

I am not going to pay an additional $10 each in food purchases for each movie, and there are no movies to watch anyway.  I am in the high risk group and Im not sure that I want to watch a movie in a mask. 

Under what conditions would you consider returning to a movie?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

spork

Quote from: clean on May 24, 2020, 02:12:20 PM

[. . .] 

Probably none. Haven't had a good theater experience since Despicable Me 2 (2013) and Inside Out (2015) -- nominally children's movies that the infants to pre-teens in the room were entranced by, and which contained enough adult material to keep the parents off their phones. I have no interest in comic book superhero special effects extravaganzas and inevitably a movie made for the big screen and for which I have high hopes, like Blade Runner 2049, lets me down. I can watch a movie in the comfort of my own home and not have to put up with jackasses talking with each other for far less money.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

mamselle

QuoteUnder what conditions would you consider returning to a movie?

After a year has passed with a very low incidence of viral transmission.

Seriously.

Same for church, visits with friends, etc.

I like my life and I like living it.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ciao_yall

When cleaning between showings becomes routine.

saffie

I got a survey from Alamo Drafthouse a few weeks ago. It asked some questions about reopening ... like would we be willing to pay $10 a person in food purchases in addition to admissions?

I received the same, I think. There were also questions about cleaning, distancing (keep empty seat between people), limited menu options. $ amount was higher for NYC area.

I'd consider going back if strict cleaning between screenings and extra space between customers were in place. It would involve a subway trip too though, so that's something else to think about.

Vkw10

Quote from: hmaria1609 on May 23, 2020, 07:08:23 PM
Quote from: Vkw10 on May 22, 2020, 06:51:50 PM
Have you read the rest of the "All Souls" trilogy novels? I've seen copies of the trilogy at the library but haven't read them.

Yes, I have. I bought the first as an audiobook, years ago, for a long car trip, then bought hard copies of each to read. The setting pulled me into the first book, a historian who happens to be a witch studying alchemy texts at the Bodleian? I couldn't resist a fantasy that starts in a library.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

sprout

Honestly, I'd go back to a movie theater before a restaurant.  If masks are required (and enforced) and movies are run at half capacity maximum.  I think it would be easier to institute cleaning between movie showings than between seatings at a restaurant.  And I can watch a movie in a mask, but I can't eat a meal masked up.  To be fair, my local theater upgraded to the big, wide lounger seats with big, wide aisles a few years ago, so there was already some space between patrons pre-covid.