News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Coronavirus

Started by bacardiandlime, January 30, 2020, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallcleanrat

How is everybody dealing with the effects of all the extra screen-time necessary to do so many things remotely?

Even with forcing myself to take breaks, there are days I have to be on Zoom pretty much all day. Been getting migraines 3-4 days out of every week. I'm often icing my head between meetings.

When I can get away with it, I turn my gaze towards the wall to get a break from the screen but this only does so much.

Anyone else been noticing things like eyestrain and headaches? Any suggestions for remedies?

ciao_yall

Up until they shut down our yoga studios I found class a few days a week pretty helpful.

Now I'm just doing light weight lifting and a few stretches (cat/cow, cobra, updog).

evil_physics_witchcraft

I have a funeral to attend tomorrow and SO's cousin is positive. This cousin came into contact with other people on SO's side who will attend this funeral.

I am terrified. I have health issues and a potential surgery in the next week. Part of me wants to stay home and have SO sleep in another room when he gets back from it.

smallcleanrat

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on December 01, 2020, 08:51:50 PM
I have a funeral to attend tomorrow and SO's cousin is positive. This cousin came into contact with other people on SO's side who will attend this funeral.

I am terrified. I have health issues and a potential surgery in the next week. Part of me wants to stay home and have SO sleep in another room when he gets back from it.

Sounds more than reasonable. Would anyone really be offended if you decided not to attend (for very valid reasons)?

Sorry you're going through this evil_physics_witchcraft. Please stay well.

Langue_doc

Couldn't you just stay home? Tell them that your are following your physician's orders.

Your SO should quarantine for the requisite number of days. SO should be advocating on your behalf, explaining to others why you are unable to attend.

evil_physics_witchcraft

We're thinking of going to the visitation for 5-10 minutes, paying our respects and then leaving (while wearing masks and social distancing).

Edit: Or, we may just go to the burial (outside vs. inside).

spork

Quote from: smallcleanrat on December 01, 2020, 04:55:10 PM

[. . .]

Anyone else been noticing things like eyestrain and headaches? Any suggestions for remedies?

I have four suggestions.

I have a pair of prescription eyeglasses with focal length set to computer screen distance (farther away than is the case with traditional reading glasses). I love them.

Headaches might have a neuromuscular origin.  Physical movement of your head, neck, shoulders, etc. will help alleviate the strain of keeping your head essentially frozen in place for long periods of time. I have a standing desk converter so I'm standing quite often while at the computer; I'm more physically mobile in that posture. I also take breaks to get out of the chair for yoga and physical therapy-type exercises. Even just three minutes every hour does wonders.

Display settings and room lighting affect eye strain.  My work-issued machine is an HP Elitebook laptop with an HD screen (1920 X 1080). It produces a very mediocre image, with glare and washed-out colors no matter how I change the settings. I connect it to a Dell external monitor; same resolution but better image. Better still is my ASUS Chromebook, which is also the same resolution but the display is much better engineered and produces a superior image even though it's got the smallest screen.

I don't know what your work situation is, but the majority of meetings in the corporate and academic worlds are not productive. One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was "If it's important that I attend the meeting then put me on the agenda." I personally do far more of my best creative thinking when walking or running outdoors than in meetings listening to people recite information that could have been distributed by email. So I say "no" to many meetings.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

apl68

A staff member whose daughter attends our nearest four-year college had told me that they planned to go virtual only after Thanksgiving.  Now she tells me that the school gave them less than 48 hours' notice that they'll be back on campus after all.  That doesn't seem like a good idea right now.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Caracal

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on December 01, 2020, 09:26:34 PM
We're thinking of going to the visitation for 5-10 minutes, paying our respects and then leaving (while wearing masks and social distancing).

Yeah that seems like the best plan.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Caracal on December 02, 2020, 07:08:21 AM

More family members are exhibiting symptoms. We basically said f*ck it and didn't go.

smallcleanrat

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on December 02, 2020, 09:26:26 AM

More family members are exhibiting symptoms. We basically said f*ck it and didn't go.

Sounds like the smartest choice.

OneMoreYear

That seems like the best plan. Do you need a retroactive doctor's note?

To Whom it May Concern:
evil_physics_witchcraft and SO are excused from attending a funeral during a pandemic.
Dr. OMY

namazu

Wise choice!  I wish your family members a speedy and complete recovery (and hope they don't spread it to too many other people).

Langue_doc

When I saw your post last night, I was reminded of the way funerals were handled during April and May. There was no viewing as the funeral homes were overwhelmed, and there were restrictions on the number of people who could go to the cemetery for the burial service. Even these people had to watch the burial from their cars because of the regulations in effect during those weeks/months.  Here most everyone knows at least one person who died of COVID, so we are extra careful about following the protocols.

I've found it useful to invoke my physician when people are trying to persuade me to socialize. All I have to say is that I'm following my physician's recommendations.

Stay safe, EPW. I hope your health-related issues will be resolved soon.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the people here who listen to me and let me vent.

Love the idea of a retroactive doc's note!