News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Coronavirus

Started by bacardiandlime, January 30, 2020, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mythbuster

Mr. Buster works in a biomedical research lab with an MD PhD student. We regularly wonder how she got in, as she exhibits some of the worst aspects of the a privileged, self-adsorbed life. So she went home for Thanksgiving. Home being a deep red state that essentially denies COVID is happening. She did get tested before she left (free through work), but just rolled her eyes when Mr. Buster asked if any of her family was getting tested as well. She's the type who would think only those "other people" would catch it.

Well, now she's in mandatory 14 day quarantine because her brother and his kids have tested positive after developing symptoms! I hope the brother and kids are ok, but l can only hope that the future MD learns something from this. Not holding my breath on that one. The rest of the lab just giggled when they heard this turn of events.

the_geneticist

If I had a nice sewing machine and a silk printing workshop, I'd be making snarky custom masks with saying like:
"Viruses. Don't. Get. Bored."
"If you think a mask is uncomfortable, you'll really hate a ventilator"
"It goes OVER your nose"
"If you can read this, you're standing too close"
"Better safe than dead"

Any other ideas for sayings?

smallcleanrat

Quote from: mythbuster on December 02, 2020, 10:27:07 AM
Mr. Buster works in a biomedical research lab with an MD PhD student. We regularly wonder how she got in, as she exhibits some of the worst aspects of the a privileged, self-adsorbed life. So she went home for Thanksgiving. Home being a deep red state that essentially denies COVID is happening. She did get tested before she left (free through work), but just rolled her eyes when Mr. Buster asked if any of her family was getting tested as well. She's the type who would think only those "other people" would catch it.

Now I'm curious to read other examples.

Is she the type who does well in classes and exams, but *only* in classes and exams?

Langue_doc

This is a very moving article on how people in the NYC area coped with the pandemic when it was at its worst. Those were the days of people dying alone in hospitals because of the quarantines and the "drive-by funerals". These are also the faces of NYC, the faces that one sees in schools, colleges, the subway, everywhere.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/03/nyregion/coronavirus-new-york.html

spork

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

apl68

Had a staff meeting today about the pandemic.  We're agreed that we will stay open, but will make some further adjustments to maintain a safe environment.  It's still a fluid situation out there.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Langue_doc

hmaria1609

Quote from: apl68 on December 04, 2020, 10:55:15 AM
Had a staff meeting today about the pandemic.  We're agreed that we will stay open, but will make some further adjustments to maintain a safe environment.  It's still a fluid situation out there.
We've made an adjustment to our operating hours to the public as of Monday, opening an hour earlier and closing an hour earlier.

the_geneticist

My county is back to "shelter in place" orders.  Stay home at all times except for essential trips.  All restaurants are to-go only, stores have a limited capacity, and indoor gatherings are not allowed.

I'm curious to see what's still on the shelves at the grocery store.

Caracal

Quote from: spork on December 03, 2020, 02:12:35 PM
SARS-CoV-2 likely in the USA in late November/early December 2019.

Obviously I can't evaluate this, but some virologists I follow on Twitter were very skeptical of this study. The problem, apparently, is that some of their coronaviruses can create antibodies which can't always be distinguished from Covid 19 and there's a good chance they are just picking those up. They also pointed out that if it was really that widespread in the US, you would have seen higher death and hospitalization rates-but there was no sign of that.

Caracal

Quote from: the_geneticist on December 07, 2020, 11:04:39 AM
My county is back to "shelter in place" orders.  Stay home at all times except for essential trips.  All restaurants are to-go only, stores have a limited capacity, and indoor gatherings are not allowed.

I'm curious to see what's still on the shelves at the grocery store.

I wish we could drop that terminology. Obviously there's no actual order to stay at home-stores are open and you can get food to go at restaurant. It's just bad messaging. It isn't important that people stay at home-it is important that they avoid going places and doing things that are risky.

hmaria1609

From WTOP Radio online--Why Mayor Bowser hasn't yet issued a stay-home order for DC:
https://wtop.com/coronavirus/2020/12/dc-coronavirus-update-december-7/
There are breaks and ads so keep scrolling down the page to read the article.

hmaria1609

Gov. Hogan's announcement about covid-19 vaccine rollout for MD:
https://wtop.com/coronavirus/2020/12/maryland-coronavirus-update-december-8/
From WTOP Radio online (12/8/20)

AmLitHist

An adjunct colleague (who's also a dear friend) texted this morning to say her husband had a positive rapid test and was going for another to confirm.  She's in her 70s, with serious health issues, and has taught F2F all fall.  And now this.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I went to a doctor's appointment today and had blood work done next door. In the blood place, one guy took off his mask to drink water and left it off. Just the two of us in the waiting room. About 30 seconds later, they called me back. I didn't want to start anything, but the whole thing really freaked me out.