News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishProf

That could very well be the dumbest policy decision in the history of the University.  NO field trips?  So, having 10 students, socially distanced, in the great outdoors is not OK, but 3 hours in a limited air circulation room is a practice that passes muster?

Who decided this?  The Three Stooges?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

science.expat

Quote from: FishProf on August 13, 2020, 09:20:28 AM
That could very well be the dumbest policy decision in the history of the University.  NO field trips?  So, having 10 students, socially distanced, in the great outdoors is not OK, but 3 hours in a limited air circulation room is a practice that passes muster?

Wow! We've managed to keep field trips although the conditions have varied as government restrictions change.

apl68

Quote from: science.expat on August 13, 2020, 07:37:41 PM

Wow! We've managed to keep field trips although the conditions have varied as government restrictions change.

That "as government restrictions change" may have something to do with the other school's decision to cancel field trips.  With all the other shifting sands of policy they have to deal with, they may have decided to simplify by eliminating the field trip issue altogether.  Maybe shortsighted, but I can kind of understand the thinking there, if that's it.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

FishProf

Quote from: apl68 on August 14, 2020, 07:44:09 AM
Quote from: science.expat on August 13, 2020, 07:37:41 PM

That "as government restrictions change" may have something to do with the other school's decision to cancel field trips.  With all the other shifting sands of policy they have to deal with, they may have decided to simplify by eliminating the field trip issue altogether.  Maybe shortsighted, but I can kind of understand the thinking there, if that's it.

As a State School, we already have to follow the State Policies (what is recommended for privates is required for us) and the sites we would visit (Audubon sanctuaries and the like) are also following the guidelines, or in some cases, not even open to general public but will allow us.

Blanket policy decisions are typically both too broad and too narrow.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

apl68

Quote from: FishProf on August 14, 2020, 08:08:26 AM

Blanket policy decisions are typically both too broad and too narrow.

Never thought about it quite that way, but that's a really good way of putting it.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Vkw10

There's a slight difference between a 12% and a 15% budget cut. In our case, it's about $500,000. I don't have that much in non-salary budget. Either you deliberately lied to faculty this morning when you said "no furloughs and no layoffs" or you're an idiot who can't read a budget. Since the budget with your notes about deficit and the summons to a meeting on RIF policy came before the faculty meeting, I conclude that you deliberately lied to our faculty.

Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Liquidambar

I don't know why I bothered to look up the methodology for the thing you linked on Facebook and post my expert opinion on it.  You might reply this time because I found a different source with a better methodology that agrees with your conclusion.  Maybe.  However, you completely ignored me last time when I typed a page of detailed analysis that disagreed with you.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

sinenomine

Listing admincritters' credentials with highest degrees of "ABD" or "graduate coursework" is disingenuous, and just reinforces how poorly qualified they are for their jobs.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

bio-nonymous

Can you whining crybabies just do your work without complaining and emailing me constantly for clarification!!!!!!!!!! You are supposed to be grown adults...with college degrees! Why is this such a mystery to you?

Economizer

I really wish that, if I were not so afraid to comment, that a good part of popular dissent at present is a result of groups that wish to make major problems, like dealing with countering the Coronavirus 19, worse. What are the motives for doing such? I am not clear on that but I sure they will emerge. I would go on to say that thousands upon thousands, and possibly millions will be damaged, disadvantaged, injured, and killed by these amazingly powerful groups of villain's actions! SO, ENOUGH NOT SAID.
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Vkw10

My current IRB request has just been approved! I hypothesize that there is a positive correlation between the number of times a faculty member requests travel, supplies, and equipment after being told that the department budget for travel, supplies, and equipment was reduced 90% this year and the number of times that faculty member has had a significant personal finance issue (eviction for nonpayment of rent, foreclosure, bankruptcy, appearance on the state list of top 500 tax debtors, etc.). You've all just become part of my longitudinal study.

polly_mer

There's a state list of top 500 tax debtors?  How much does number 499 owe?
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Vkw10

Quote from: polly_mer on August 18, 2020, 02:37:16 PM

Which state? Individual or corporate? I've been known to have students review and discuss use of these lists as an incentive to pay taxes. Here's the CA, SC, and WI lists, if you want to explore.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/about-ftb/newsroom/top-500-past-due-balances/index.html

https://dor.sc.gov/top250

https://www.revenue.wi.gov/Pages/Delqlist/topten.aspx

polly_mer

Quote from: Vkw10 on August 18, 2020, 03:21:19 PM
Quote from: polly_mer on August 18, 2020, 02:37:16 PM

Which state? Individual or corporate? I've been known to have students review and discuss use of these lists as an incentive to pay taxes. Here's the CA, SC, and WI lists, if you want to explore.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/about-ftb/newsroom/top-500-past-due-balances/index.html

https://dor.sc.gov/top250

https://www.revenue.wi.gov/Pages/Delqlist/topten.aspx

Gross generalization is $100k as the lower bound.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

alto_stratus

Ahhh! Someone please take these plastic drawer thingies. There's no good space for them in my new place, and I am tired of rolling them out of the way.