Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Vaccination nation

Started by downer, December 23, 2020, 07:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

secundem_artem

Quote from: Vkw10 on February 04, 2021, 10:07:21 PM
Quote from: kaysixteen on February 04, 2021, 08:25:25 PM
How many side effects did you experience the day after your first shot?

I haven't had any side effects from first shot, but from what I'm reading the second shot is more likely to have side effects. Like secundem_artem, I've scheduled a very light workload for day after second shot, just in case.

I had zero adverse effects from the first shot.  As to the 2nd one, by evening, my arm started to hurt.  Overnight, I threw a fever of 101 and had some moderate aches and pains.  By noon, most of the discomfort had passed and I was able to attend a scheduled Zoom meeting.  Orange juice and ibuprofen were adequate to control fevers and pain.

As always,  YMMV.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Vkw10

Quote from: secundem_artem on February 05, 2021, 12:30:50 PM
Quote from: Vkw10 on February 04, 2021, 10:07:21 PM
Quote from: kaysixteen on February 04, 2021, 08:25:25 PM
How many side effects did you experience the day after your first shot?

I haven't had any side effects from first shot, but from what I'm reading the second shot is more likely to have side effects. Like secundem_artem, I've scheduled a very light workload for day after second shot, just in case.

I had zero adverse effects from the first shot.  As to the 2nd one, by evening, my arm started to hurt.  Overnight, I threw a fever of 101 and had some moderate aches and pains.  By noon, most of the discomfort had passed and I was able to attend a scheduled Zoom meeting.  Orange juice and ibuprofen were adequate to control fevers and pain.

As always,  YMMV.

Congratulations on getting your second dose and on minimal side effects!
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

apl68

My parents are now finally scheduled to be vaccinated within the next week.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

RatGuy

Received my first dose of Moderna on Sunday. It was administered through the university. I was told that they are prioritizing instructors currently teaching F2F courses, and that the state had recently switched university instructors into an earlier category (K12 teachers were already in this category). My paperwork had a "college instructor" checkbox written in pen, reflecting that recent change.

clean

My city registered people for the 1000 doses available tomorrow in 10 minutes! 
I got in to register just inside the 10 minutes, but it took over 5 minutes to fill in the forms!  So some must be either faster than I or have forms that fill the info a lot faster!

Oh well.... maybe another time!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

apl68

Quote from: clean on February 08, 2021, 10:13:48 AM
I got in to register just inside the 10 minutes, but it took over 5 minutes to fill in the forms!  So some must be either faster than I or have forms that fill the info a lot faster!

Reminds me of the time I tried signing up for a back country backpacking permit at the Grand Canyon.  I tried within two or three days of the opening of the registration window, and it was already too late for the season.  Oh well, I ended up enjoying my trip to Mesa Verde instead.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

dismalist

I twice timed the nurse at CVS giving me the flu shot. Each time she took two minutes to prepare and administer the dose and nine minutes to fill out the paperwork. And these are things she does repeatedly, so she must be pretty fast.

I've registered for a Corona vaccine. They'll call me -- whenever.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Harlow2

I put every bit of info including emergency phone numbers, insurance numbers and so 9n, in a Word doc so I could quickly copy and paste into the form on the website. I was able to fill out the form in under a minute. Ymmv, of course depending on the form

clean

I GOT THE SHOT TODAY!!

As I wrote, my submission indicated that they there was a problem and asked me to resubmit.  After resubmitting, I got an error message, so I was pretty sure I was not registered.  I was supposed to get a "QR Code" in response to my final submission.  As I got the error code, I got NO QR Code.  However, last night, I got a text message that I was scheduled for todays vaccine drive!  All I had to do was write the password in big letters on a paper so that they would let me into the arena area, and bring my QR CODE !!!!   BASTARDS!!!! 

This morning I called the health department to see IF I was really in (see below for more drama).  After 20 minutes on hold, I was told I was on the list and the lady told me what to write in big letters on another paper to substitute for the QR Code. 

So I got there early (with my bride, who got her shot almost a month ago).  Fortunately, I didnt listen to my bride's directions so I did not get lost!  I thought she knew where we were going as she was there under a month ago!  After getting lined up (lots of cars in a row, 5 rows wide), someone came up and asked how many were getting vaccinated and got my substitute QR information.  We were instructed to turn on the emergency flashers to note we were registered.  After 20 minutes or so in line, someone came back and confirmed that I was the sole person getting vaccinated, but it looked like they were willing to vaccinate my bride IF she didnt have a shot already (contrary to the instructions I was sent).  So it looks like there were some extra doses available today!

We waited 30 minutes, maybe forty.  Once the line started moving toward the vaccination line, I was the second car in that line. (They were lining cars up at least 3 rows wide.   There were 4 people in the car in front of me, but there were several vaccinators for each line, so as soon as the car was in park, someone appeared at the window and in less than a minute I was injected and waiting on the car in front of me to move to the 15 minute wait area! 

We parked and waited to be released, but because it was foggy when we left the house, I turned on my lights.  It wasnt foggy when we got there, but the lights stayed on.  The lights were on during the 30-40 minute wait, but the car started and ran another 5 minutes tops to get in line for the vaccination, and then we were in line less than 20 minutes waiting to be released.  SO when it was time to leave, my car would not start!!!

I got their attention, told them the problem, they called on the walkie talkies and started getting the cars around me.  Before the end of the line had passed me by a helper came with a battery, told me to stay in the car, opened the hood, hooked up the battery and got me started and on the way! 

So they were VERY organized.  IF we had plenty of doses, I could see them doing several thousand shots a day.  (3000 were scheduled for today)  IF we had the doses, I could easily see 10,000 shots a day if they stayed open 8 to 8 or so. 

Last week's Drama:
Last week the city did an experiment on a downtown site. They wanted to do 500 doses.  Registration opened and 2000 were over-scheduled!!  They did 1000 of those last Friday by carving out some of last week's allocation and another 1000 were with me there today. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Sun_Worshiper

Got my second shot about two hours ago. So far I'm feeling fine, but last time I had some soreness in my arm for a few days, so expecting that might happen again. Either way, I'm glad to be vaccinated. Unfortunately, my wife is not, so doesn't change much in my day to day life, but at least I'm unlikely to catch the virus.

mahagonny

I might be able to get a shot next month. I can get ahead of others in line because of asthma. No one has it has tough as me, you know.

pgher

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on February 09, 2021, 06:21:58 PM
Got my second shot about two hours ago. So far I'm feeling fine, but last time I had some soreness in my arm for a few days, so expecting that might happen again. Either way, I'm glad to be vaccinated. Unfortunately, my wife is not, so doesn't change much in my day to day life, but at least I'm unlikely to catch the virus.

I'm in the opposite position. My wife gets her second shot this weekend, but I probably won't get vaccinated for months yet. Still, I'm glad she'll be protected. She has some health conditions that would make it particularly bad for her.

Charlotte

Spouse and I got our first shot today. I'm feeling very grateful and hopeful!

pgher

Something occurred to me today. K-12 teachers in my state are in the next tier to be vaccinated, but college faculty are in the tier after that. Given how big each tier is, and how slow everything is going, I suppose it's possible I won't be on the list until May. What's the point in vaccinating a college professor in May?

downer

Quote from: pgher on February 11, 2021, 03:09:47 PM
Something occurred to me today. K-12 teachers in my state are in the next tier to be vaccinated, but college faculty are in the tier after that. Given how big each tier is, and how slow everything is going, I suppose it's possible I won't be on the list until May. What's the point in vaccinating a college professor in May?

So you can travel to exotic places in the summer.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis