News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Vaccination nation

Started by downer, December 23, 2020, 07:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Quote from: mythbuster on February 23, 2021, 12:16:30 PM
In Florida, no plan as to who gets the vaccine next after the seniors. DeSantis must think that only the over 65 set ever votes.
https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2021/02/23/who-gets-vaccinated-next-floridas-the-only-state-that-doesnt-tell-you/

Or maybe he figured that, since Florida has so many retirees in residence, it wouldn't take that long to vaccinate everybody else once they're done.

Our state has already vaccinated health care workers and first responders.  Currently priority is for those over 65.  Teachers are also supposed to be getting vaccination clinics at work as vaccine becomes available.  Talk about city workers getting it has so far only been speculation.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

pink_

My dad got his first shot yesterday, and my mom gets her second this weekend. They are both 80.

Meanwhile, I'm hearing that 1b, which includes educators at both k-12 & university levels, should open in up in Mid-March. I'm getting very impatient.

Cheerful

I favor first responders, health care workers, and those 65+ vaccinated before others. I have elderly loved ones still anxiously waiting for their turn.  The whole "rollout" is chaos.  Different interest groups fighting to be included.

J & J vaccine looks set for approval.  Will people embrace it?  In Europe, there's resistance to AstraZeneca vaccine in favor of Pfizer.  S. Africa is donating a million doses of AstraZeneca to other countries that aren't so affected by the S. Africa variant.

Starting to think governments should have just ordered all companies to manufacture the Pfizer and Moderna.  Patents and other proprietary issues, yes, but didn't they get around such things for manufacturing emergency items during WW II?

Complex because J & J is reportedly, possibly more effective versus new variants than Pfizer, Moderna.   Yet overall effectiveness of J & J doesn't sound great.  But are Pfizer and Moderna rates exaggerated, given variants?

Trust is also an issue.  Whom can the public trust? Formerly a huge fan, I no longer trust Fauci and wish he'd shut up for a long while.

clean

I think that the J&J vaccine is a little less effective, but there are some major advantages.

It requires only one dose and does not require the ultra cold storage.

This will make it superior in many areas, especially 'fly over country'.  It will not require 2 trips to get fully vaccinated, and wont require specialized equipment.  The 2 trip issue can be a big issue, but the storage issues are also a huge factor! 

My second dose is 2 weeks away (I hope!! )  I am not and would not 'vaccine shop' trying to figure out which one has the best results as I fear that the virus will change anyway to reduce the efficacy of all of them! 

I would not be surprised to find that we add this to the annual flu shot regime. 

Hopefully, Soon!! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Cheerful

Quote from: clean on February 24, 2021, 08:45:15 AM
It requires only one dose and does not require the ultra cold storage.

Pfizer is seeking approval to store the vaccine at higher temps.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-pfizer-idUSKBN2AJ1CJ

Economizer

I am approaching the date of the administration of my 2nd Covid 19 vaccination. After that deed is done, what, relationship wise, then? As I have no steady and, if and when the when opportunity arises, I once again become romantcally/sexually active is there a suggested timeline for resumption of specific facets of physical relations (i.e. no kissing on the first date or perhaps "french kissin'' "?  Awww.., y'all know at what I'm trying to get! Note that I am a male heterosexual who might be "riding down the trail to his last rodeo", so to write. Recommendations might be different that would  be offered to other bunches.

To simplify my concern, I ask: Am I immediately protected from transmission by others to me after the completion of innoculations. If not, when? My inquiry arises as I am considering operating, for profit, hugging booths.

So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

clean

When does a 'for profit hugging booth' become 'prostitution' in your state?  I suspect that in the reddest states, you would be prosecuted for prostitution, long before  violating mask requirements?

On the serious side, I think that the best thing to say about the vaccination, is that IF you DO get sick, you will not be seriously sick. However, and Im not positive, but I think that you might be more likely to be an asymptomatic carrier  IF you do get sick. So mask wearing is still a good precaution! 

From what I think i heard about the Johnson and Johnson vaccine, the effectiveness is closer to 70% (while the others are supposed to be in the 90s), but 0% of the J&J vaccinated people required hospitalization.

Also, the vaccination takes a few weeks to fully 'kick in' after the second dose.  So after your first shot, you should still want to be in the rectory/nunnery for at least 6 weeks. 

As for the 'getting close to others', there is something on the news about  a "hugging wall"

https://www.aarp.org/home-family/friends-family/info-2020/hugging-wall.html

This may be what is going to be required for people until after their first anniversary in the future!  (it is good for COVID and  all STDs i think!)
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Puget

Quote from: clean on February 27, 2021, 11:36:09 AM
However, and Im not positive, but I think that you might be more likely to be an asymptomatic carrier  IF you do get sick.

Fortunately, this is not true-- there is now good evidence that vaccines substantially reduce transmission, not just illness. This was always very likely to be the case, because they stop the virus from replicating and thus decrease viral load even if you are infected, but now there is actual data from multiple countries on this.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

apl68

Just learned that 24,000 doses of the new single-dose vaccine from Johnson & Johnson are supposed to be in the state by the end of the week.  That'll help.

Ruralguy

You might be in my state, but may state has similar news, but so do a lot of states, which was kind of the point in trying to lock in more vaccines. There will still be room for Novavax and AZN/Oxford, especially considering that we will be late in vaccinating kids, and probably boosters will be needed at some point.

Anselm

Would it help herd immunity if we just paid people to take the vaccine?  The most hardcore antivaxx people will likely break down if offered cold hard cash.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

apl68

Quote from: Anselm on March 02, 2021, 11:35:14 AM
Would it help herd immunity if we just paid people to take the vaccine?  The most hardcore antivaxx people will likely break down if offered cold hard cash.

Maybe that needs to be in the stimulus bill.

downer

How much $$ are we talking?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

dismalist

Quote from: apl68 on March 02, 2021, 12:56:01 PM

Maybe that needs to be in the stimulus bill.

Yes, and it's a good idea, well worth one hell of a lot of money. We have to beware, however, that when money is on offer for a vaccination, it pays us to claim we are antivaxxers.

Therefore, we'd have to pay everybody. And still a good idea.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Anselm

Quote from: downer on March 02, 2021, 02:16:55 PM

How much $$ are we talking?

$500

That is much cheaper than a few weeks in the ICU on a ventilator.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.