News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Vaccination nation

Started by downer, December 23, 2020, 07:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlotte

Quote from: pgher on February 11, 2021, 03:09:47 PM
Something occurred to me today. K-12 teachers in my state are in the next tier to be vaccinated, but college faculty are in the tier after that. Given how big each tier is, and how slow everything is going, I suppose it's possible I won't be on the list until May. What's the point in vaccinating a college professor in May?

Does your college not have summer classes?

clean

Quotewhat's the point in vaccinating a college professor in May?

So that they can get both doses and build up immunity by the start of Fall! 

AS most universities seem to NEED students on campus to pay the bills for the parking lots, dorms, food service, health center....   administration is looking to minimize the use of online classes.  Vaccinating faculty (and staff) are sure ways to make sure that the other bills are paid.  Vaccinated faculty dont have as much to complain about if required to return to face to face classes!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

apl68

The local Wal-Mart is supposed to start offering the vaccine today.  This will give us two vaccination locations in town.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

apl68

And Wal-Mart is now suggesting that people who need help signing up for their vaccinations come to us for it.  Which we're glad to do.  We've already had to walk one through the process today.    Seems to be a pretty ordinary online form.  Those things can be awfully confusing to people who aren't used to using them, though.

So we're now helping people to get vaccinated, but can't get it ourselves.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

apl68

My parents both got their first shots yesterday.  No reaction beyond some arm soreness.

Charlotte

Quote from: apl68 on February 14, 2021, 08:33:35 AM
My parents both got their first shots yesterday.  No reaction beyond some arm soreness.

Good news! I've heard those who are older tend to have fewer symptoms from the vaccine. More experienced immune system maybe?

spork

Quote from: Charlotte on February 15, 2021, 04:45:46 AM

Good news! I've heard those who are older tend to have fewer symptoms from the vaccine. More experienced immune system maybe?

Weaker immune system. Ability to generate an immune response decreases with age.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

sinenomine

My sister, 68, got walloped with symptoms after the second shot, while her husband, 81, had none whatsoever.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

apl68

Concerned that the snow is going to slow vaccinations in affected areas.  It's really going to be a problem for people who are scheduled for their second doses.

Charlotte

Quote from: spork on February 15, 2021, 04:59:25 AM
Quote from: Charlotte on February 15, 2021, 04:45:46 AM

Weaker immune system. Ability to generate an immune response decreases with age.

Ah, interesting. Thanks! I was just a little off base. 😉

Charlotte

Quote from: apl68 on February 15, 2021, 06:05:42 AM
Concerned that the snow is going to slow vaccinations in affected areas.  It's really going to be a problem for people who are scheduled for their second doses.

Scheduled vaccinations around here are canceled for a minimum two days. I'm not sure how they are going to handle rescheduling.

paultuttle

My parents are getting their second vaccinations Wednesday.

I'm hopeful that this will protect them from the variants running wild through the United States. We've been VERY careful--masks/gloves/face shields in their house when bringing them their biweekly groceries, wiping down their groceries with Clorox wipes prior to bringing them in the house (sole exception: fresh produce), and so forth.

Parasaurolophus

At this point, Canada has purchased 402 million vaccine doses, for a population of ~37 million.

So far, 1.8 million doses have been delivered.
I know it's a genus.

Vkw10

Quote from: Charlotte on February 15, 2021, 06:29:06 AM
Quote from: apl68 on February 15, 2021, 06:05:42 AM

Scheduled vaccinations around here are canceled for a minimum two days. I'm not sure how they are going to handle rescheduling.

My county moved the 2nd doses scheduled for Monday and Tuesday of this week to Thursday of next week. My 2nd dose is still scheduled for Monday the 22nd. Crossing my fingers, because county has done a pretty good job so far.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

spork

I find it ironic that if I was obese and a cigarette smoker, I'd now be eligible for vaccination in some states. But since I make an effort to keep myself as healthy as possible given that I have a chronic immunological disorder, I'm not eligible.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.