News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Best Office Purchases

Started by eigen, June 20, 2019, 05:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_geneticist

Tea kettle, gigantic whiteboard, and lava lamp.

wellfleet

Art on the walls, including a large antique quilt that dominates the space. Other than that, Japanese office supplies, particularly very fine point pens (.28 and .3) in reasonable--not garish and not red or black--colors.

I leave my county to go pen shopping, but I live within reasonable travel distance of some really spectacular Japanese stationary stores.
One of the benefits of age is an enhanced ability not to say every stupid thing that crosses your mind. So there's that.

mythbuster

A second monitor for my desktop computer. Once you've gone to dual monitors, you will wonder how you ever survived with only one.

Biologist_

Quote from: mythbuster on July 18, 2019, 10:20:00 AM
A second monitor for my desktop computer. Once you've gone to dual monitors, you will wonder how you ever survived with only one.

I have two external monitors plus the monitor in the laptop. When I work at home, I only have one external monitor plus the one in the laptop.

pgher

Quote from: Biologist_ on July 18, 2019, 03:33:29 PM
Quote from: mythbuster on July 18, 2019, 10:20:00 AM

I have two external monitors plus the monitor in the laptop. When I work at home, I only have one external monitor plus the one in the laptop.

About 15 years ago at my former institution, the department was transitioning from CRTs to LCD monitors. A grad student grabbed (I think) four CRT monitors and hooked them up in his office. Filled two desks, but he said it was absolutely worth it. I "just" have two monitors in my campus office. At home, I don't have as much room, but I have an ultrawide monitor that serves a similar function.

I also have a decent keyboard and mouse. Nothing special--Logitech, midrange, wireless--but so much nicer than the crap that comes with a new computer.

ergative

Quote from: the_geneticist on July 16, 2019, 11:34:29 AM
Tea kettle, gigantic whiteboard, and lava lamp.

Yes. I had to leave behind my beloved lava lamp when I moved to my current country, because the voltage was different. I do regret that. But at least there is no shortage of spare tea kettles everywhere around the building, and I appropriated one for my office. I don't have a gigantic whiteboard, because it clashes with the wall art (see below), but I have a smallish one.

Quote from: wellfleet on July 16, 2019, 12:49:01 PM
Art on the walls, including a large antique quilt that dominates the space. Other than that, Japanese office supplies, particularly very fine point pens (.28 and .3) in reasonable--not garish and not red or black--colors.

I leave my county to go pen shopping, but I live within reasonable travel distance of some really spectacular Japanese stationary stores.

My first year in my office the mounted bookshelves proved inadequate for the books I put on them, and came crashing down, leaving a hideous gash in the wall paint, along with two little holes, corresponding to the exactly two (2) screws, no more, that had been assigned the job of holding the entire bookshelf to the wall. I made a fuss and got some much better shelves installed, but the original gash is still there, so I covered it up with a piece of beautiful batik fabrik. I also have a selection of Japanese furoshiki cloths, and some of my favorite Ella Baron cartoons from the TLS lined up.

I love Japanese office supplies. It's astonishing how well that country does stationery. The paper is exquisite, the pens are reliably good, the ink is gorgeous, and all the other little gadgets are so clever and fun. I would love to visit an actual bricks and mortar Japanese stationery store.

wellfleet

ergative, google kinokuniya USA--there might be one closer than you think.
One of the benefits of age is an enhanced ability not to say every stupid thing that crosses your mind. So there's that.

copykat

Vanilla scented Glade Plug-ins. It makes me smile when I hear people in the hallway say, "It smells like cupcakes." Also, a jar of individually wrapped Lifesaver mints, strategically placed so there's no doubt that guests should help themselves. Everyone wants one, and I get the added benefit of talking to people with minty fresh breath!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: copykat on July 20, 2019, 08:56:46 PM
Vanilla scented Glade Plug-ins. It makes me smile when I hear people in the hallway say, "It smells like cupcakes."

Alas, I'd just sneeze whenever I came within smelling range.

Scented areas and people are one of the banes of my existence. :(
I know it's a genus.

Liquidambar

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 20, 2019, 09:04:25 PM
Vanilla scented Glade Plug-ins. It makes me smile when I hear people in the hallway say, "It smells like cupcakes."

Scented areas and people are one of the banes of my existemce. :(

How do you typically handle that?  Say something?  Avoid all areas with strong scents?  Our latest office staff person is very fond of air fresheners.  The department office reeks of air freshener.  It even escapes into the adjacent hallway.  I merely dislike the smell, but I worry that it could cause medical issues for some.  I haven't said anything since I'm not her supervisor, but sometimes I wonder if I should.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

summers_off

I can't tolerate room fresheners either....they give me a headache.  I don't know if it is just that I don't like the idea of breathing in unnecessary chemicals, or if I really am allergic.   

hmaria1609

I've brought liquid hand soap from Bath & Body Works for our staff restroom.  Last month I stocked up when there was a major sale--plenty to last until fall!

copykat

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 20, 2019, 09:04:25 PM

Scented areas and people are one of the banes of my existemce. :(

That never occurred to me! Maybe that's why nobody comes to my office hours? Guess I'll be stank-free in the new academic year.

bioteacher

Scented stuff = instant headache for me. I abhor when I sit down in a public place and right before the event begins (church, orchestra, you name it) someone who took a shower in perfume/cologne plants themselves next to me. I spend the rest of that time miserable.

Everything in my house is unscented. Shampoo, deodorant, lotion, laundry detergent, etc. If I want the house to smell like chocolate pie, I bake one.

pink_

Toss up between the really awesome ergonomic chair that I found refurbed for 80% off and the dehumidifier which is worth its weight in gold due to the moisture issues caused by working in a really old building with an equally old HVAC system.