News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Best Office Purchases

Started by eigen, June 20, 2019, 05:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eigen

Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

Liquidambar

I started a new thread to discuss office door cartoons, since it's important enough to have its own thread.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

rhetoricae

We've just had a major renovation, so right now my office is pretty stark, but in my previous space I had a few little luxuries that I'm hoping to "reinstall."

I keep several plants in my office and have an LED grow-light to keep them healthy (we have no windows in any of the faculty offices in our building). These give me a reason to take a break & look at something nice & green, and also make the space nicer. The grow-light made things seem cozier & more atmospheric, and also caused folks to drop in to ask questions about the purplish light, plants, etc.

I had a floor lamp and a desk lamp - I have chronic migraine, so I can't always tolerate overhead fluorescents. These lights (along with the plant light) made life bearable on the tricky days. I also keep an electric kettle, because there are those days when I need copious amounts of caffeine. (This is either tea or coffee made w/my Aeropress.)

Lastly - my door had a  window in it, and I found that when I really needed to get some time un-disturbed, the window made that next to impossible. So I tacked up some sheets of pretty origami paper to cover the window; looked lovely, ensured my ability to pretend not to exist and actually get things done.

the_geneticist

Quote from: rhetoricae on August 21, 2019, 09:48:48 AM
We've just had a major renovation, so right now my office is pretty stark, but in my previous space I had a few little luxuries that I'm hoping to "reinstall."

I keep several plants in my office and have an LED grow-light to keep them healthy (we have no windows in any of the faculty offices in our building). These give me a reason to take a break & look at something nice & green, and also make the space nicer. The grow-light made things seem cozier & more atmospheric, and also caused folks to drop in to ask questions about the purplish light, plants, etc.

I had a floor lamp and a desk lamp - I have chronic migraine, so I can't always tolerate overhead fluorescents. These lights (along with the plant light) made life bearable on the tricky days. I also keep an electric kettle, because there are those days when I need copious amounts of caffeine. (This is either tea or coffee made w/my Aeropress.)

Lastly - my door had a  window in it, and I found that when I really needed to get some time un-disturbed, the window made that next to impossible. So I tacked up some sheets of pretty origami paper to cover the window; looked lovely, ensured my ability to pretend not to exist and actually get things done.

I also support the covering up of the office window!  My last workplace renovated our offices (yay!), but they ended up smaller (boo) and the designer insisted that the walls facing the hallway had to be frosted glass so we appeared more "available" and the office doors had HUGE glass windows (not so yay).  My colleagues that liked to bike to work & change in their office were VERY upset at the lack of privacy.  It was impossible to pretend to not exist and made it obvious if you were in your office or not.

Hibush

Quote from: the_geneticist on August 21, 2019, 02:46:58 PM
the designer insisted that the walls facing the hallway had to be frosted glass so we appeared more "available" and the office doors had HUGE glass windows (not so yay).  My colleagues that liked to bike to work & change in their office were VERY upset at the lack of privacy.  It was impossible to pretend to not exist and made it obvious if you were in your office or not.

We have a buildig where the hallway wall and doors are clear glass for faculty offices. The overexposure means that nobody every works in their office, so it has not had the effect of making faculty seem more available.

They are happy to meet you there for a chat if you email them. Since nobody else is around, you have decent privacy for a conversation.

euro_trash

Cheap picture frames. I've got photos of all my family and kids and vacations all over.
spork in 2014: "It's a woe-is-me echo chamber."

niceday in 2011: "Euro_trash is blinded by his love for Endnote"

I'm kind of a hippy, love nature and my kids, and am still a believer: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3n4BPPaaoKc

Aster

bio-nonymous

I just started here, and my office is small--no loveseats or lounge chairs in here! BUT, I did have to use some start-ups funds to get a good adjustable high-back big and tall leather office chair with an excellent adjustable lumber support. It makes my life better--I love my chair! The old chair was surplussed by the department (even they didn't want it around, "...just give that old chair to the new guy...")

notmycircus

Cork board for photos and procedures.