News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

AFTDJ?

Started by pedanticromantic, August 04, 2019, 03:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedanticromantic

1. I'm a tenured prof, will go for full this year--have surpassed requirements for full before I even hit tenure time six or seven years ago.  I hate where I am living, and hate my university but make very good money.

2. A job has opened up at somewhere I'd really like to go (it's in my top 5 choices). BUT It's not in my field (they are asking for a very specific subfield, like underwater basket weaving, and I do weaving of something other than baskets and not underwater). It's also only at assistant prof level, and I know they can't change the hire to more senior, although it may be possible for a shortened tenure clock.

So, if I got the job, I could live in a great place, and work with interesting people in a school I sort of know already from doing a few guest lectures, and like.  BUT I'd cut my salary in half, have to give up tenure, and have to re-jig my knowledge for the new position in order to be able to teach underwater basket weaving. I've just finished a year where I had 4 new preps and was banking on having a breather to catch up on some research after all that stress. I really don't have the energy for any more new preps for a few years.  Having more new preps in a very different field would probably completely wipe me out physically and mentally. That and I'm not really interested in sub-field, although I do work in the broader field.

My main concern is if I applied for the job and got the job, but decided I couldn't stomach starting over, the drastic pay cut, the new subfield etc  I'd then be blowing my future chances for a hire at a more senior level if they thought I'd wasted their time on the search.  I am not what they're looking for, and it would be a stretch to teach what they'd need me to cover. I don't want to burn any bridges there or destroy any good will I've built up through guest lecturing.
help?

wellfleet

That actually sounds like a "do not AFTDJ" to me--I'd be focusing my energies on finding jobs to apply for that fulfill more of my goals.

Alternatively, if you have contacts at that campus, can you casually ask someone how set they are on the specific subfield or if they would be at all interested in an opportunity hire? I think I'd be trying to send a "I'd love to join you if" message rather than applying for a bad fit job. It also takes less energy on your end.
One of the benefits of age is an enhanced ability not to say every stupid thing that crosses your mind. So there's that.

Grinch

Quote from: pedanticromantic on August 04, 2019, 03:48:32 PM

I really don't have the energy for any more new preps for a few years.  Having more new preps in a very different field would probably completely wipe me out physically and mentally. That and I'm not really interested in sub-field, although I do work in the broader field.

Based on the information above, I don't know how happy you would be.

Juvenal

Aside from working/living in a great place and interesting ("Who knows what evil lurks...") people, everything else seems negative.  Even you seem dubious, being very clear-eyed.

Other than the often given (here) advice, "grow where you're planted," which seems you've maybe tried and given up on, well, I'd carefully again check the color of my glasses.  Here's some more trite advice, "measure twice, cut once."  If that makes any sense.

I don't think you'll get much encouragement here from Fora members, although the advice usually falls into the AFTDJ side, but maybe all the minuses you list will shift that.
Cranky septuagenarian

ciao_yall

Quote from: Juvenal on August 05, 2019, 12:16:21 PM
Aside from working/living in a great place and interesting ("Who knows what evil lurks...") people, everything else seems negative.  Even you seem dubious, being very clear-eyed.

Other than the often given (here) advice, "grow where you're planted," which seems you've maybe tried and given up on, well, I'd carefully again check the color of my glasses.  Here's some more trite advice, "measure twice, cut once."  If that makes any sense.

I don't think you'll get much encouragement here from Fora members, although the advice usually falls into the AFTDJ side, but maybe all the minuses you list will shift that.

That's why the thread is called AFTDJ, not TTDJ (as in Take TDJ)

Hibush

The new place's attraction is a better life both at work and outside work. That is a big deal, and worth taking seriously.

Here are a couple thoughts on the two main issues: starting new courses and reduced pay.

Would the new preps be interesting because they are something novel for you and will be the base of a rewarding long-term effort to develop curriculum for enthusiastic, well-prepared students in a subject area that is well supported by department colleagues and institutional administration. 

Would you be able to sustain an interesting and happy lifestyle on the salary they offer? Or would you be struggling in penury and only be able to see the temptations but not participate?

aside

If it ain't right, it's wrong.  For me, the factors you list would mean it was not right.  You're the best judge of whether it would be right for you.  How does the pay cut compare with the cost of living in the new place?

I once took a significant pay cut to move from an administrative position I had been asked to accept but did not enjoy doing to a faculty position at another institution.  It was hard financially, but got me back to doing what I loved at a better place (although I'm back in administration now; sigh).  You would be taking a financial hit and prepping courses in a subfield not your own, which sounds like a rough go to me despite the nicer surroundings.

pedanticromantic

Yeah, I guess I'll keep waiting. It's just been _so_ long being stuck here. I could live with the pay cut for the boost in social life, but the combined workload right now with the pay cut and demotion would probably be too much.

Diogenes

The large salary could fund some great vacations (or a second apartment in a nearby, preferred city.) If you are tenured you could probably get some flexibility for three day weekends to get away more for your sanity. Or squirrel it away to retire early.

larryc

Why do you think that there will ever be a senior-level job in your subfield at this institution? That seems unlikely, but clearly, you have been watching this place closely and you must have your reasons for thinking so. My views are colored by the famine economy of the humanities.

I think you should apply for the job. If you get a long-list interview you can use it to explore the possibilities. A shortened tenure clock, a pending retirement of someone in your real subfield, a need for a next department chair--there are all kinds of things that could be in play to make the position more congenial. Be bold at the early stages and you can both agree that it is not a good fit if it seems that way with no hard feelings.

Good luck.