News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

12 Month Faculty Contract @ Community College

Started by ms. sunshine, August 05, 2019, 07:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ms. sunshine

I have a few questions about how 12 month faculty contracts work at community colleges. At my old school, faculty on a 12 month appointment taught 36 or 39 credits for the year - typically 15 credits for fall and spring, and then 6 or 9 for summer. During the course of the year, they still received time off during breaks (between fall and spring semesters, Thanksgiving break, spring break, two weeks in May between spring and summer, etc.). Is this typical at other CCs?

Another school I'm looking at seems to approach a 12 month faculty contract as a staff position (working 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year with two weeks vacation time) - still teaching 12 credits a semester in fall and spring with 3 credits of administrative release time (think lead faculty, discipline coordinator, advising, etc.). In this scenario, when there are no classes between semester and during spring break, for example, the faculty member would act as a staff member and come in that week and work in the office for 40 hours. If they wanted time off, they would have to use vacation time. Is this common at other CCs?

Since so many schools are moving towards 12 month contracts, I'd like to better understand the time expectations (especially when it's not explicitly stated in the job ad). Thanks!

downer

Is there any reason to think that there's uniform practice, from state to state and even from one campus to another?

Wouldn't you be better off asking the dept chair?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

ciao_yall

Seems it would vary.

Most likely they would expect faculty to teach year-round plus some level of coordination/committee tasks that have to be done by faculty. For example, in California, certain areas are legally considered "faculty purview" and must be done by faculty.

https://www.skylinecollege.edu/academicsenate/about.php

Juvenal

Yes, the answer would vary, probably a lot.  I will only say that the CC I worked at, 30 hours over the the regular semesters, had 10-month contracts, but one could be paid over 12-months to level the otherwise aestival dearth.  Summer session was "overload" if you wanted to do it.  Many did, mostly new faculty; after 1974, not me.
Cranky septuagenarian

ms. sunshine

Is there any reason to think that there's uniform practice, from state to state and even from one campus to another?

No, I don't expect that there's a uniform practice which is why I'm looking for examples for comparison.

Ask the chair? You would think... For the one position I mentioned, the chair is leaning towards a staff schedule, but wants the faculty portion to be flexible (i.e., teach nights or travel to other sites, etc.). Finding a middle ground between faculty work responsibilities and time off while trying to make the position fit with staff schedules and policies is the problem. It's the first year they've offered a 12 month contract, and it seems like the details haven't quite been worked out. While we're discussing the potential issues, I thought I'd try to get some outside opinions on how things work elsewhere.

downer

Are you going to be able to negotiate expectations? Or at least interpret stated expectations by your standards?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Antiphon1

Quote from: ms. sunshine on August 05, 2019, 10:30:05 AM

No, I don't expect that there's a uniform practice which is why I'm looking for examples for comparison.

Ask the chair? You would think... For the one position I mentioned, the chair is leaning towards a staff schedule, but wants the faculty portion to be flexible (i.e., teach nights or travel to other sites, etc.). Finding a middle ground between faculty work responsibilities and time off while trying to make the position fit with staff schedules and policies is the problem. It's the first year they've offered a 12 month contract, and it seems like the details haven't quite been worked out. While we're discussing the potential issues, I thought I'd try to get some outside opinions on how things work elsewhere.

Is this primarily a technical/vocational college rather than a community college with mostly academic transfer class offerings?  From your descriptions I think you may be looking at a vocational college.  At these institutions, the programs are usually on a year round schedule.  My very limited exposure to these types of places are that part of their philosophy involves helping the students get ready for a full time job thus the 40 hour week. 

The only other explanation I can think of is that some states to require all full time state employees to clock 40 hours.  It's a trend in some more industrial areas.  You could ask for a sample contract.  Look at  the portions addressing hours, terms of service and related requirements.  You may also want to look at the legal differences between contract and hourly employees.  I sense what may be a combination of secondary and higher education contracts.  In secondary education, teachers are required to be on campus during specified hours because they are responsible for minor children. 

Again, you'll know more after you see a contract.  Also, find out how much high school teachers are making in the area on a 10 month contract before you sign.  Your contract should reflect the extra two months work.

ms. sunshine

Quote from: downer on August 05, 2019, 10:55:22 AM
Are you going to be able to negotiate expectations? Or at least interpret stated expectations by your standards?

That's what I'm trying to do... It's not looking good though. I can't wrap my head around the idea that from September - Thanksgiving Break, I would be faculty and have the schedule and responsibilities of faculty, then as soon as Thanksgiving Break hits, I revert to staff and have to sit in my office at a desk for 40 hours even though there are no classes. Then, the day after break, I'm back to being faculty again. Until mid-December, then I'm staff. That seems so strange to me.

It is a community college, and it looks like they're going to take the "it's a staff job with faculty teaching responsibilities" approach - all the work of faculty with none of the benefits.

I'm definitely not interested in that. :(

downer

Sounds horrendous to me, but then I have never had or wanted a job where I have to be in an office 40+ hours a week.

Do you have alternative options? Are there other candidates for the job? My impression is that CCs are not very good at flexibility, but maybe if you have some leverage, you can get more of what you want through negotiation.

Seems that that's what's relevant. What goes on at other schools is less relevant.

Isn't it getting down to the wire? When does the job start?

the_geneticist

Maybe ask the current faculty about the staff/faculty expectations.  I'm sure you'll have a LOT of planning/grading/writing/etc. to do and won't be sitting in an office all day.  Can folks work from home on those days?  Are you needed in person for office hours or meetings or committee work?  Or is a "let's all be here to be available just in case we are needed" sort of mindset?  Our staff have holidays where the office is closed and they do not come to campus.