News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

2019 summer/fall: Starting the new job cohort

Started by polly_mer, May 23, 2019, 09:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pepsi_alum

I will be starting a new teaching job in August at a Big R1. It's an NTT line, but one with hard funding, clearly-defined teaching and service responsibilities, and opportunity for promotion through the NTT ranks. I'm hoping to stay long-term, because I'm getting tired of moving every few years. My workload is distributed in such a way that I may have time to do some research (something that wasn't practical at my old job), although it isn't required under the terms of my appointment.

Parasaurolophus

I should find out for sure next week, but it sounds like my "full time" job might look (and pay) a lot more like quarter-time, at least this fall. Sigh.

I mean, I wouldn't necessarily mind the break. It would allow me to complete a bunch of research projects that have been left hanging because I'm teaching all summer. But if I can't count on work, then I need to find something else to help me pay the rent until I can count on work. Luckily, I have a good chance at an online-based admin role for the regional division of our big association, and it would probably pay enough that I could cover rent and food for my mostly fallow semester, but... this non-sessional position sure is starting to look a lot like a sessional position. It'll be a different story if I have a full load in the winter and summer, but if I'm down to quarter-time in the fall, then I worry about the feasibility of obtaining those full loads later.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 05, 2019, 11:08:33 AM
this non-sessional position sure is starting to look a lot like a sessional position. It'll be a different story if I have a full load in the winter and summer, but if I'm down to quarter-time in the fall, then I worry about the feasibility of obtaining those full loads later.

I would go to my mentors and ask point blank whether this is normal or a one-time blip.

I would then seek out people in similar positions to ask whether this is normal or a one-time blip to help triangulate information.

I would also be polishing up my CV and be back on the market because this doesn't bode well even if it's possibly just a one-time blip for the first time.  I remember being told that a non-TT position tended to be a place where people start and the last three people were converted to TT.  However, a new chair and new priorities meant my one-time blip because the new norm for that position.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

tuxedo_cat

Quote from: pepsi_alum on July 03, 2019, 11:58:50 AM
I will be starting a new teaching job in August at a Big R1. It's an NTT line, but one with hard funding, clearly-defined teaching and service responsibilities, and opportunity for promotion through the NTT ranks. I'm hoping to stay long-term, because I'm getting tired of moving every few years. My workload is distributed in such a way that I may have time to do some research (something that wasn't practical at my old job), although it isn't required under the terms of my appointment.

Ah, I'm in a very similar boat, starting this fall!  Applying for a stable NTT position (multi-year contracts) wasn't even on my radar, but it looks like in my discipline, some programs are recognizing the benefits of converting Lecturer positions to NTT lines with a promotional track. 

I will say that I am bit wary of how the culture of hierarchy will work out in this program––mostly I'm going to keep my radar up about signals that I should "stay in my lane." For example, I have a decent track-record with both internal and external grant applications (in the humanities), but I'm not sure if that will be something I am "supposed" to be doing in the new position.  I guess I'll follow the fora's wisdom about starting a new position and spend most of my first year listening a lot and keeping my mouth shut.

KafkasCat

I'm poking my head out from under all the moving boxes and cats to say hi. Leaving tomorrow for new institution, classes start in two weeks. Everything has been going as wrong as possible - move in date for new house shifted, reimbursements stuck in the system, documents held up in the ether. So far, I've been too exhausted and stressed out to get excited about my new tt-position, but I hope it kicks in once I'm there. After my PhD at an Ivy and teaching at super-fancy SLAC, I am really excited about working with the students at the new institution, who haven't had the same kinds of opportunities as most of my previous students.

bhiennsona

Popping in to say that I'm settling in. I still need to bring all of my textbooks and assorted stuff to my office, but my plan is to do that this weekend.

mamselle

Good to hear peoples' moving-ahead stories!

Best good wishes as the next stages of life unfold.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

bibliothecula

If the paperwork ever comes through, I'll be a VAP this academic year. I'm excited about working with students again.

polly_mer

Quote from: bibliothecula on August 06, 2019, 11:22:33 AM
If the paperwork ever comes through, I'll be a VAP this academic year. I'm excited about working with students again.

That's so good to hear!
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

bhiennsona

Congratulations!

I had a funny thing happen to me last weekend. I was moving boxes into my office with my family and the elevator broke down between floors. It took the Campus police and FD almost an hour to get the elevator lowered near a floor and to get the door open so that they could get all of us out. Thankfully I have all my textbooks and other stuff in my office now and it just needs the things I want to add to personalize it. Hope everyone else is transitioning better than me!

tuxedo_cat

Quote from: bibliothecula on August 06, 2019, 11:22:33 AM

Congrats!  That's great news : )

Quote from: KafkasCat on August 01, 2019, 05:00:27 AM
I'm poking my head out from under all the moving boxes and cats to say hi. Leaving tomorrow for new institution, classes start in two weeks. Everything has been going as wrong as possible - move in date for new house shifted, reimbursements stuck in the system, documents held up in the ether. So far, I've been too exhausted and stressed out to get excited about my new tt-position, but I hope it kicks in once I'm there. After my PhD at an Ivy and teaching at super-fancy SLAC, I am really excited about working with the students at the new institution, who haven't had the same kinds of opportunities as most of my previous students.

Good luck, KafkasCat!  I hope you find the teaching experiences at your new job gratifying.  And my benchmark for a "successful" move is if nobody dies or is grievously injured.  That's only partly a joke: there was one move I did which involved driving a 14-foot UHaul and towing my little Honda Civic.  I really did think I and the cats might die in some horrible accident on the highway.  That move was complete hell for other reasons -- ohhh, I'm now remembering that I did kill Bambi on that trip.  I think that's when I set the new benchmark for moves in this way.

pepsi_alum

Quote from: bhiennsona on August 08, 2019, 08:57:14 AM
Congratulations!

I had a funny thing happen to me last weekend. I was moving boxes into my office with my family and the elevator broke down between floors. It took the Campus police and FD almost an hour to get the elevator lowered near a floor and to get the door open so that they could get all of us out. Thankfully I have all my textbooks and other stuff in my office now and it just needs the things I want to add to personalize it. Hope everyone else is transitioning better than me!

Yikes! Being stuck in an elevator is one of my irrational fears. I'm glad the police and FD were able to get you out safely.

I'm now in NewCity and preparing to start going into campus next week. So far, so good. There was a paperwork mix-up with my first paycheck (direct deposit didn't go through and I have to go to some office on Monday to get the paper version of the check),  but I'm confident it will get solved on Monday without much additional drama.

KafkasCat

Quoteohhh, I'm now remembering that I did kill Bambi on that trip

Wow, tuxedo_cat, that is truly terrifying. Another victim of academia...

I'm glad to say that everyone here made it ok to New Town. Although we did have a scary moment when we thought that the geckos hadn't... a little water brought them back, though. All cats are out and about, exploring the new environment (safely indoors, they were not made for life in the wild/with cars), and so far, I really like the new institution and love the new colleagues.

bhiennsona

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I'm settling into my groove with classes and getting my research program started. Everything is a bit different than I imagined with the time commitments for committees, classes and mentoring students in research. But I'm managing to keep ahead with everything.