News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Posting While Plastered, revival

Started by dismalist, April 27, 2020, 01:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

A thread with this title was an integral part of the old fora. Maybe it can be revived.

Of course, it's a tad early in the day to actually post while plastered in this timezone. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

ab_grp

Hooray! I was just thinking of reviving this thread last night.  I don't really have any exciting imbibing to discuss.  Mostly it's been wine recently.  There is a local winery that we bought a couple cases from that we keep for special occasions, and we have a couple other good bottles, including some my cousin bought me when I got my PhD that I hope have not gone bad.  I am not good at celebrating like that because I want to save the bottles, and then sometimes it's too late, and that's dumb.   I think I have a bottle of champagne from when I got a promotion 6 (?) years ago? Or one before that? Yikes.  I guess it's sad not to ever think the circumstance warrants the good wine.  I did drink a lot of what my cousin got me (> 6 years ago!), and they were wonderful, but there are still a few left.  They probably haven't been stored right, either.  I just wrote and deleted a bit about writing and deleting a post on the venting thread about past grad school and current career trauma.  I will not sully this thread with that melancholia! 

Aside from the red wines, we had some Laphroaig to toast my dad last weekend.  I missed that stuff. 

I was thinking about our supply lately.  We have some hard liquor, though neither of us drink it much.  I think the last time we had some rye was a very raucous and irresponsible night of Cards Against Humanity a couple Thanksgiving Eves ago with husband's bff and bff's wife that did not leave us feeling up for cooking and company the following day.  And we have some Czech liquors that I stay away from.  Bits of rum and stuff.  Mostly just wine and expired beer.

What's everyone else drinking these days?

onthefringe

penicillin cocktails. which turn out to still be fine when you substitute bourbon for the scotch, and ginger liquer (I prefer stirrings) for half of the honey/ginger simple syrup, and bottled lemon juice for fresh squeezed.

(all my quarantine food is like this — "amazing steak recipe, except I didn't have steak and subbed in flour and sugar and butter... wait, maybe I made a cake?")

wareagle

In spite of the fact that spring is exceedingly slow to arrive in the extreme northland, I have embraced gin and tonic and dared the weather to comply. 
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

onthefringe

Quote from: ab_grp on April 27, 2020, 03:47:16 PM

Aside from the red wines, we had some Laphroaig to toast my dad last weekend.  I missed that stuff. 

Glad you toasted your dad, but I'll admit that I just don't enjoy the peaty Scotches. I keep trying them because they seem like something I should like, but I never do. I feel the same way about goat cheese. But I thoroughly enjoyed the bottle of MacAllan 12 I dug put of the cupboard last week.

archaeo42

We finished off a bottle of tequila that had been left here over the summer. Our local taco place has been selling their margarita mix as part of their take out options so it was easy to do.

The brewery down the street from us does online orders so we've been putting those in every 7-10 days. We get a mix of cans (4 packs) and crowlers (32oz) from what they have on tap. They've been brewing new stuff so it's been a nice rotation.

We haven't really touched our bourbon and whiskey but we're nearly out of our mixing bourbon anyway.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

ab_grp

Quote from: onthefringe on April 27, 2020, 07:05:02 PM
Quote from: ab_grp on April 27, 2020, 03:47:16 PM

Glad you toasted your dad, but I'll admit that I just don't enjoy the peaty Scotches. I keep trying them because they seem like something I should like, but I never do. I feel the same way about goat cheese. But I thoroughly enjoyed the bottle of MacAllan 12 I dug put of the cupboard last week.

I'm with you.   I was never into any sort of scotch until a few years ago.  A few colleagues and I went to trivia night and won the whole shebang and decided we would get a drink of something more expensive than our Blue Moons or what have you.  The gang leader convinced us to have Laphroaig.  I thought it tasted like (trying to remember the list...) Ben Gay, burning rubber, and something else.  I think I even had ice in it.  Some still bring up "what did we drink that night, again?!" But at some later date the opportunity arose again and I kind of wanted to try it again.  My spouse later introduced me to Ardbeg, which I also like.  And a group of colleagues went out to celebrate one's impending wedding at a whiskey bar, and that led to getting to try quite a few varietals, some of which I liked better than others.  In any case, I wouldn't say it's top of the list for me, but it's got something that keeps me coming back now and again.   I wouldn't be surprised if it has something that alters brain chemistry like some sort of alien parasite.  I also like goat cheese once in a while but would not say it's a favorite. 

larryc

My wife is an actual cocktail historian (it says so on her business card and Vistaprint has a rigorous peer-review process) so our drinks game is exceptional. Tonight she practiced a couple of prohibition era cocktails, a Three Mile Limit and something I can't remember. After that I had some bourbon and fired up a wonderful documentary I'd been meaning to watch: Rumble: The Indians Who Rocked the World. Salud!

bacardiandlime

Quote from: onthefringe on April 27, 2020, 06:35:19 PM
(all my quarantine food is like this — "amazing steak recipe, except I didn't have steak and subbed in flour and sugar and butter... wait, maybe I made a cake?")

Perhaps we get our groceries from the same place. Yesterday's delivery was a whole bunch of stuff they'd subbed in for things I'd ordered (including beef instead of turkey), so my meal planning for 3 weeks is all "what can I make with this now?"

Quote from: larryc on April 28, 2020, 10:07:23 PM
Tonight she practiced a couple of prohibition era cocktails, a Three Mile Limit

I have to look this up....

dismalist

I looked up the drink "Three Mile Limit":  1 oz White Rum; 0.5 oz Lemon Juice; 0.5 oz Grenadine; 0.5 oz Cognac.

Anybody know or care to guess why a drink would have such a name?
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

onthefringe

Quote from: dismalist on April 29, 2020, 12:18:17 PM
I looked up the drink "Three Mile Limit":  1 oz White Rum; 0.5 oz Lemon Juice; 0.5 oz Grenadine; 0.5 oz Cognac.

I'm guessing something to do with international waters, but I don't think I get it.

dismalist

Quote from: onthefringe on April 29, 2020, 12:31:05 PM

I'm guessing something to do with international waters, but I don't think I get it.

Absolutely! Ocean going ships carrying booze legally would come up to the three mile limit and wait there for fleets of smaller vessels which would pick up the booze and smuggle it to shore. The only cocktail I know whose name honors a market process! :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

ab_grp

Quote from: dismalist on April 29, 2020, 12:37:27 PM

Absolutely! Ocean going ships carrying booze legally would come up to the three mile limit and wait there for fleets of smaller vessels which would pick up the booze and smuggle it to shore. The only cocktail I know whose name honors a market process! :-)

This is a very educational thread.  I'm glad that it has finally returned.

onthefringe

Quote from: ab_grp on April 29, 2020, 03:28:32 PM

And now google tells me eventually the US extended their to twelve miles, leading to the creation of the twelve mile cocktail

Is bourbon and limeade a thing? I haven't made it to the grocery store in two weeks and am grasping at straws. Maybe just bourbon on the rocks?

Cats will run out of food in four days, which should push me into motion soon...

dr_codex

Quote from: onthefringe on April 29, 2020, 05:10:35 PM
Quote from: ab_grp on April 29, 2020, 03:28:32 PM

And now google tells me eventually the US extended their to twelve miles, leading to the creation of the twelve mile cocktail

Is bourbon and limeade a thing? I haven't made it to the grocery store in two weeks and am grasping at straws. Maybe just bourbon on the rocks?

Cats will run out of food in four days, which should push me into motion soon...

The three mile limit was once known as the "cannon shot rule". Before modern laws of the sea were drafted up in the 20th century, it was generally agreed that a nation's sovereignty extended only as far as it could demonstrate (hypothetical) military control. About 3 miles.

There's a reason why cruise lines like Norwegian will throw in unlimited booze for almost nothing. It's basically cheaper than water when you're out in international waters. And probably safer, in most quantities.

I've been trying to watch my intake, but self-quarantining with small children has prompted some imbibing. (My littlest one, who can barely write, filled out a prescription for my spouse, ordering 5 glasses of water a day, and no wine for a week. She seemed saddened but not surprised to see a bottle on the dinner table.)

As a compromise, I've been drinking Bloody Mary's. For the vitamins. And because we have a local pickle guy who makes delicious mix, and will do curbside pickup.
back to the books.