Coronavirus

Started by bacardiandlime, January 30, 2020, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

nebo113

spork

My mother's symptoms are almost completely gone, though she is still suffering from fatigue and some loss of appetite. She said she felt the worst on Sunday and that this was due to shortness of breath. The outbreak at her retirement home has been contained, basically because all residents have been confined to their apartments for the last two weeks with cold meals being delivered to their doors (hot meals were stopped so that potentially infectious kitchen workers could be kept out of the building). The main problem now is residents' declining mental health due to isolation.

People in my brother's household are still symptomatic but none of them are severely ill. His wife, the first one to test positive, has fully recovered and is back to work. But her sister, who is pregnant, is now infected.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

mamselle

Continued good thoughts for you and all your family members, Spork.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on January 07, 2021, 06:32:43 AM
Continued good thoughts for you and all your family members, Spork.

M.

Yes.

Our staff member is now on the mend and released from quarantine to come back to work.  She has a bit of a lingering cough. 

Our assistant pastor at church was quarantined several months ago due to an exposure to an infected family member on a visit.  He didn't contract it then.  He DID contract COVID last month, on another family visit.  Having recovered well from that, he has now been laid low by a stomach bug that hit everybody at a holiday gathering with his wife's family.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

AmLitHist

I finally heard from my friend a few days ago.  She hasn't been hospitalized but has been very sick. She said she thinks she's getting better but sounds like she still feels awful. (She's working with the pulmonologist for her COPD, so she is under care.)

Langue_doc

Quote from: spork on January 07, 2021, 06:22:32 AM
My mother's symptoms are almost completely gone, though she is still suffering from fatigue and some loss of appetite. She said she felt the worst on Sunday and that this was due to shortness of breath. The outbreak at her retirement home has been contained, basically because all residents have been confined to their apartments for the last two weeks with cold meals being delivered to their doors (hot meals were stopped so that potentially infectious kitchen workers could be kept out of the building). The main problem now is residents' declining mental health due to isolation.

People in my brother's household are still symptomatic but none of them are severely ill. His wife, the first one to test positive, has fully recovered and is back to work. But her sister, who is pregnant, is now infected.

Glad to hear that your mother is feeling better. I'm appalled though that seniors are reduced to eating cold meals. Can these meals be warmed up in a microwave? Do these apartments come with microwaves? Providing cold meals to seniors would be considered elder abuse in many developing countries.

spork

Yes. Each apartment has a small kitchen with oven, stove, and microwave. But warming up a sandwich doesn't do much.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

nebo113

Quote from: Langue_doc on January 07, 2021, 09:16:22 AM
Quote from: spork on January 07, 2021, 06:22:32 AM

Glad to hear that your mother is feeling better. I'm appalled though that seniors are reduced to eating cold meals. Can these meals be warmed up in a microwave? Do these apartments come with microwaves? Providing cold meals to seniors would be considered elder abuse in many developing countries.

My mother lives in a similar retirement community, which went into lockdown for about 3 weeks, with food delivered.  Fortunately, hers was not (consciously) cold.  I can more than empathize with Spork's mother and her fellow residents, but, damn, it's a tough call for the administrators (and the profit making companies that own the places).  Mother's apartment has a complete kitchen, including a microwave, but they may no longer have toaster ovens as some residents would re heat food and forget to turn them off.  All meals are provided in the monthly fee.

secundem_artem

Finally some good news.  Based on some activities I volunteered for that place me at higher risk, my priority to get vaccinated was moved to 1A according to the published criteria for my state.  The Uni is running a vaccination clinic staffed by faculty and students.  I got the Moderna vaccine from a student I had in class last year.  My sense of relief is palpable. 
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Cheerful

Quote from: secundem_artem on January 07, 2021, 10:09:28 AM
  I got the Moderna vaccine from a student I had in class last year.

Good for you!  The student part?  I would not like that at all.

secundem_artem

Quote from: Cheerful on January 07, 2021, 10:15:12 AM

Between her coursework and her internship hours, she's probably vaccinated a couple of thousand people.  It's pretty routine for me to receive vaccines from students here at Artem U.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

apl68

Quote from: secundem_artem on January 07, 2021, 11:37:03 AM

Between her coursework and her internship hours, she's probably vaccinated a couple of thousand people.  It's pretty routine for me to receive vaccines from students here at Artem U.

That'll give you an incentive to make sure you do your job right, huh?
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Kron3007

Quote from: secundem_artem on January 07, 2021, 11:37:03 AM

Let's just hope you passed her...

Seriously though, injecting a vaccine is pretty straight forward so I don't see much issue. 

the_geneticist

I'm hearing about more and more students, TAs, and coworkers getting COVID.  What's scary is that some tested positive, but don't have any symptoms (yet).  So many cases and it's still a small enough percentage of the community so we are nowhere near "herd immunity".  It's going to be a long winter.