Our Hero: History Professor Censored For Criticizing Athletic Spending

Started by spork, February 06, 2023, 05:50:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spork

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Langue_doc

In the Cancelling Dr. Seuss thread on February 3:

QuoteThe Spokesman Review: Eastern Washington University professor questions university's move to block him after critical tweets

An Eastern Washington University professor was blocked by his employer on social media for nearly a year after making critical statements about the school.

History professor Larry Cebula said he believes he was blocked by the official EWU Twitter account for criticizing the school's Athletics Department spending, which he says comes at the cost of academic programs.

University officials say Cebula was blocked last spring after making statements the school considered defamatory. As an example, David Meany, director of Communications and Media Relations, pointed to a May tweet.
[/url]

Hibush

It sounds as if the university's PR teams' Twitter account blocked the professors Twitter account so that people following the PR account would not be linked to the professors complaints about the school. I don't see anything about him not being able to tweet. He just wouldn't be able to follow the PR account when logged in under that one Twitter account. Where is the censorship? 

I think it is reasonable for a marketing or PR Twitter account to block other Twitter accounts that are saying bad things about them. It doesn't hinder the critics' ability to promulgate their ideas.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Hibush on February 06, 2023, 09:26:29 AM
It sounds as if the university's PR teams' Twitter account blocked the professors Twitter account so that people following the PR account would not be linked to the professors complaints about the school. I don't see anything about him not being able to tweet. He just wouldn't be able to follow the PR account when logged in under that one Twitter account. Where is the censorship? 

Thanks for clarifying that. Not being on Twitter myself, I couldn't figure out in what way the institution "blocking" his account would matter.

I think it is reasonable for a marketing or PR Twitter account to block other Twitter accounts that are saying bad things about them. It doesn't hinder the critics' ability to promulgate their ideas.

Absolutely. This one is a big nothing-burger.
It takes so little to be above average.

Cheerful

From article:
QuoteThe "dumpster fire" descriptor, as well as an image accompanying the tweet of a dumpster on fire being carried away by a flood, had raised red flags for the school's social media team, Meany wrote.

"A tweet like that is disparaging to Eastern, especially since future students can easily search what's happening at Eastern by using the #EWU hashtag," Meany said.

Lesson:  Don't tweet that hilarious Dumpster-on-Fire-Being-Carried-Away-by-a-Flood meme because Meany thinks that's just mean.

Hibush

Quote from: Cheerful on February 06, 2023, 09:49:49 AM
From article:
QuoteThe "dumpster fire" descriptor, as well as an image accompanying the tweet of a dumpster on fire being carried away by a flood, had raised red flags for the school's social media team, Meany wrote.

"A tweet like that is disparaging to Eastern, especially since future students can easily search what's happening at Eastern by using the #EWU hashtag," Meany said.

Lesson:  Don't tweet that hilarious Dumpster-on-Fire-Being-Carried-Away-by-a-Flood meme because Meany thinks that's just mean.

You have captured the administration's plea in a tweet-length statement. Well done.

larryc

Hey I know that guy!

Yeah it's a tempest in a teapot, what I've heard described as a "nontroversy." It does show the power of Athletics at this and so many schools. Had I been criticizing the food at the cafeteria (which leaves much to be desired, my friends) I'd never have been blocked.

Hibush

Quote from: larryc on February 16, 2023, 09:56:21 PM
Hey I know that guy!

Yeah it's a tempest in a teapot, what I've heard described as a "nontroversy." It does show the power of Athletics at this and so many schools. Had I been criticizing the food at the cafeteria (which leaves much to be desired, my friends) I'd never have been blocked.

Larry!  You can post freely here about athletic spending or any other misdeeds without fear of being blocked.