News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Post your asides here

Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Time to put on my Resting Bitch Face. I wish I could do this on Canvas.

mahagonny

At the time Kamala Harris was 29 and easily well above average in attractiveness; Willie Brown was 60 and average looking. if the sex was recreational rather than transactional, then I've been missing a lot of opportunities that I needn't be missing.

marshwiggle

Quote from: mahagonny on November 11, 2020, 10:47:54 AM
At the time Kamala Harris was 29 and easily well above average in attractiveness; Willie Brown was 60 and average looking. if the sex was recreational rather than transactional, then I've been missing a lot of opportunities that I needn't be missing.

Epic response!
It takes so little to be above average.

polly_mer

<unrelated>

Hmm, if you intentionally opt out of knowing, then that would explain a lot about why you don't know and can't understand why "everyone" else knows.

Of course, what do I know?  I have a great job that supports my family using my graduate education instead of being a poster child outcome against which many blue-collar parents warn.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

jimbogumbo

<unrelated>

You are troll. Nothing more, nothing less.

FishProf

[Unrelated?]

I'm guessing that seemed profound when you typed it, but it just looks petulant and obtuse.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mahagonny

Doggone it, i can't figure this out. I call you a racist, and where's my good will? Don't I get credit for caring about everyone?

polly_mer

<unrelated and relevant to so many threads recently>

Choosing a path through life based on one's own values, risk perception, and willingness to make trade-offs makes sense.  SPADFY is true and many things exist in the world.

However, some paths will not get to the stated goal from all start points.  Riding a horse from San Francisco to Honolulu doesn't work; that horse needs a boat or a plane or something under it.  One can technically swim from San Francisco to Honolulu, but that's not a plan that's going to work for most people.  Digging a hole to China is an expression, not a plan that will get one from San Francisco to Honolulu in any reasonable period of time.

Insisting that one wants to get to Honolulu from San Francisco and then vehemently insisting that one is trying really hard on that horse, with a swimsuit, or in the hole with a shovel is, well, let's call it misguided effort.  That path cannot work to get the goal set.  That's why it hasn't worked and why the same questions keep coming up hoping for a different answer.

If the goal is to get to Honolulu from San Francisco, then a different path is needed. 

If the goal is really enjoy horseback riding, swimming, or digging as one goes, then pick a different destination or enjoy tooling around San Francisco.

Physical reality is a thing with definite limits, even in the quantum regime where the rules are different.  The rules still exist and one can only do things within the rules.

Social reality has different limits, the rules are different in different places, and the rules can be changed with group effort.  However, while one might be able to occasionally get away with going the wrong way on a one-way street, that's mostly in the middle of the night in a deserted street with no one watching.  That doesn't happen in the center lane of a four-lane street downtown during midday traffic for very long.  At best, it's a traffic jam; more likely, that's a tragedy that just keeps unfolding.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mahagonny

^ related

Can't tell who you're intending to lecture, but your message is one more reiteration. If the social reality you refer to is here, I answer:
on a pseudonymous forum, you don't need to get along with the herd. If you're expressing something that you think is missing, or overlooked, you don't need to convince anyone if you've decided that expressing it is enough.

little bongo

[unrelated]

I'm guessing your students don't learn about hyperbole.

OneMoreYear

[unrelated and probably too snarky, but I'm going to be grading late enough that I can post to the Friday Haiku thread]

Yup, the first thing I do when I'm planning a class is to figure out how to rip off my students. Doesn't everyone do that?               

apl68

Quote from: little bongo on November 16, 2020, 07:54:58 AM
[unrelated]

If I've told you once I've told you a thousand times about that hyperbole thing!
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

little bongo

Quote from: apl68 on November 20, 2020, 07:29:58 AM
Quote from: little bongo on November 16, 2020, 07:54:58 AM
[unrelated]

If I've told you once I've told you a thousand times about that hyperbole thing!

Definitely the smile of the week.

San Joaquin

<unrelated>

We have some past examples of the nonproductivity of posting a question only to argue with any and all good faith answers.

FishProf

It must be hard to be the victim of so much violence.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.