News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

learning pods

Started by kaysixteen, August 13, 2020, 08:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaysixteen

Random points:

1) Two years ago, I actually spent a fair amount of time in a library researching and then applying for/ signing up for, several online tutor services.    I was 'accepted' into all of them, set up my blurbs on their sites, etc., and got exactly one hit, which was a scam.  The guy in question wanted to hire me to tutor his kid, but insisted I send him my SS#-- this sounded hinky to me so I  emailed the tutor co in question and they told me that it was a scam, this was never the way they did it, and they got rid of the guy.   That obvious bad experience notwithstanding, literally no other hits from any of these services, in two years.   I am not sure what else I could do with these services to increase the chances that I could get a gig, but, again, in my area, there is likely to be little if any business here, and, while of course I could do online tutoring, now that I have the computer and Zoom experience, there are only limited options for this, and much competition, many with loads of experience.

2) I am not a sales guy.   Really, I ain't.  Sue me.  I am doing the best I can, but this idea is  really just a pocket money idea, with no likelihood that it would ever be able to become more than this.  Anyone who looks at my resume can tell what my background is, what my strengths are, but they would have to look at the resume to see it.   But it was hard enough for me to even write the resume according to the (apparent) 21st century expected standards of braggadocio (according to the expensive career counselor I hired 3 years back)-- I did this, but I am never going to like doing this sort of thing.

3) Enough with the classist criticism of my unwillingness to spend money I do not have (which of course is not even unwillingness) in the vague hope that I might get a few bucks' return from that investment.   If I had money to spend like this, I would have gone back to grad school to try to make myself more marketable, but I do not, so I  won't, and all the more so since, at my age, it would likely not be useful anyhow.

Unseen Academical

If you are looking to make pocket money there are easier ways to do that don't require extensive marketing. Textbroker, outschool and alike jump to mind. You won't be making a lot of money, and the companies take a cut of course, but for extra income they might work. Plus you can work for these from the safety of your home without having to worry about potential COVID risks. Just an idea.

Dismal

Around where I live, there is still a market for part-time in-home tutors who will oversee the students zoom school while the parents are working. We have a neighborhood FB page where someone will advertise their availability and a number of people will say they are interested.  Sometimes it is a college student and some of the discussion involves parents specifying that they want someone who is distancing and presumably not going to bars. My friend is paying someone $15,000 for the entire school year to come in three days a week - maybe 9-3 to work with 3 kids (2 in the same class because a neighboring family is in the pod) and the tutor is an otherwise unemployed recent MSW.

kaysixteen

Thanks for the ideas.   I confess I have never heard the terms 'textbroker' and 'outschooler' before-- care to offer specs?

I'd love to do what dismal suggests, but there would have to be a market for it.   I  can do Zoom work remotely with kids anywhere, but around here, no one is going to hire me to work ftf for anything remotely resembling $15k, though I will keep looking.

Unseen Academical

Quote from: kaysixteen on November 26, 2020, 08:57:32 PM
Thanks for the ideas.   I confess I have never heard the terms 'textbroker' and 'outschooler' before-- care to offer specs?

https://www.textbroker.com

https://outschool.com/

There are other companies offering these types of online services, so if you are interested in either, a bit of googling will show you other options as well.