News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Paralysis Analysis Renewed!

Started by mamselle, June 06, 2019, 01:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octoprof

Today I really must:

Email students a general reminder, ride the bike at least a few minutes, take some photos since it's my last chance here, put dirty clothes in a pile to be laundered, start packing for tomorrow's nutty traveling (taxi, train, foot), do some PT, read a little, write postcards.

Teaching
In Progress
201: daily grading and emails, remind about drop deadline!
571: daily grading and emails
Prep for Fall
412 - Minor changes; Draft a list of what needs to be done
542 - Minor changes; Draft a list of what needs to be done
Prep for Spring
453 - Major overhaul; Draft a list of what needs to be done

Research
Projects
Julian: Draft a to do list for the R&R, Next conference call:7/4 4pm
Samara: Evaluate the data, draft a to do list
Rhoda: Edit pass, journal target, need lit file from R.
Mentoring
Rhonda: Read something from student's folder, make to do list, next call: 7/9 4pm
Isolde: Ask how summer research is going...
Peaches: Ask how summer research is going...

Service/Admin
Plan: Draft a master list of all the crap to be done in early fall [started]
CPE: develop outline for program

Personal
Get back on the PT bandwagon - July: 1, 3
Vaguely start thinking about menu planning for mid-August: drafting list in Excel
Sort doctor appointments - Move late Sept PCP to August? When is dental check up?
Welcome your cephalopod overlord.

octoprof

P.S. It's Thursday so I must also fix my meds for the week.

mamselle

Greetings, Polly and Octo! I hope you're each having fun somewhere!

Today-only list:

PR for tours out by noon
Skirt, chemise, drawers sewn in alternation with
Three short items in need of editing.

Food and sleep as required...still resting here and there, now and again, from the 36-hour moving marathon on M-T with a friend who seems to confuse "pack" with "moving stuff around in the room" and "putting a box or two near the door every few hours."

More later, I've developed a whole list of "Pack and Move are not just 4-letter Words" ideas...maybe I'll start a thread...later...

Food, PR, home to edit and sew.

Tours start Saturday, must be ready and rested!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

Quote from: mamselle on July 04, 2019, 07:18:21 AM
Greetings, Polly and Octo! I hope you're each having fun somewhere!

Greetings, Mamselle!

About 7 o'clock tonight starts the big fun with the community fair that culminates in fireworks.

My today-only list includes packing for a weekend trip to visit friends and play lots of our favorite board games.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

paultuttle

Coming back from 2 weeks out of the office, I need to:

(1) review all my emails

(2) get caught up on 10-12 projects

(3) meet with ~30-40 faculty members regarding their proposals

(4) find out what my benefits truly are (we both need some dentistry)

(5) determine whether I can light a fire under my parents so that they'll make the oh-so-crucial decision to appoint me power of attorney for them

(6) assorted other things, like wishing hard for the world to change back into the less-crazy format it had prior to certain elections

mamselle

Those sound like good goals.

I did two editing things, one more to do; worked several hours on book stuff, and held off doing parts of the new dress until I have the bodice fabric....but bought more of the necessary notions.

Edit item no.3 starting....

.....now.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

octoprof

Yesterday was a bit much...

Today I really must:
Email students a general reminder, ride the bike to the next village, shop for bike parts, remind husband to do laundry, do some PT, read a little, write postcards (possibly buy some postcards).

Teaching
In Progress
201: daily grading and emails
571: daily grading and emails
Prep for Fall
Prep for Spring

Research
Projects
Julian: Draft a to do list for the R&R, Next conference call:7/11 4pm
Mentoring
Rhonda: Read something from student's folder, make to do list, next call: 7/9 4pm [Can we reschedule?].

Service/Admin

Personal
Get back on the PT bandwagon - July: 1, 3, 5, 7, 8
Vaguely start thinking about menu planning for mid-August: drafting list in Excel
Sort doctor appointments - Move late Sept PCP to August? When is dental check up?

octoprof

Still tired from epically long yesterday.

Today I really must:
Email students a general reminder, ride the bike to the next village, shop for bike parts (epic fail), remind husband to do laundry, do some PT, read a little, write postcards (possibly buy some postcards).

Teaching
In Progress
571: daily grading and emails, grade that one problematic exam
Prep for Fall
Prep for Spring

Research
Projects
Mentoring
Rhonda: Read something from student's folder, make to do list, next call: 7/16 4pm

Service/Admin

Personal
Back on the PT bandwagon - July: 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9

mamselle

The Ex. Ass't job I've had working for the Ex. Dir of a NP is [still, to me] looking like it's in jeopardy; our president says not, but I do the books and I don't see as much income as outgo....so I'm still going to stay worried until I see differently. So:

1. Updated resume (EA work) renewed on Linked In, and indeed; - still have to do Monster and all their friends.
       So now I'm getting email referrals to everything under the sun. Sigh. If only a few were within 100 mi. of my home.   
2. Start looking at websites for things I'm interested in, talking to folks, etc. - ongoing
3. Keep working on the research-y stuff - also ongoing - one topic's stuff moving slowly, but it's moving.
4. Start doing close-outs so if I get a nibble and need to hop nimbly over the candlestick to my next job--started, problems...grr..
5. Tours start in 2 weeks Saturday!: new bodice? new handouts? Visit sites w/ongoing construction...grrr--started, coming soon!
6. Play out on Wednesdays? Make a regular thing of it? Might be worthwhile--doesn't bring a lot in, but good exposure--pondering
7. Start looking at my own spreadsheet-like stuff....keep things in balance--not yet.
8. Do my own Tweets for tours....start with article that just went in, schedule as usual, and earlier Op-ed piece. - one done, more to do
9. Updated CV (teaching)- now on my Academia site (but the old one won't go away and I just got three hits on it!)

Today:
NP stuff on the back-burner is starting to be caught up:
      Invitation letters to potential writers for the q6 mo magazine - finish list, send out - Stalled, more to do - still more needed     
      Thank you's for donors, need to get list finalized, get USPS addresses, do letters, send (have to get envelopes ready)

Need back bank info for pre-18 mo. online sources, ask for those--do draft letter today. - Still need this!
      Tweets on previous magazine, just finished, set up 6, send out one q 3 days upcoming - still need to do next
      Check on details of board meeting upcoming, conference associated (or not), etc. - Done, 'Huit clos'...go to TnC after?
      Followup to replies on branding poll, communications lists, etc. - done, still not all received, yet...can't make 'em reply...
      Finish QBks entries - Issues. Reconciliation not possible w/o a) new laptop w/QBks, replc dying old one; b) Bk sends data link
  Figure out way forward: think about job overall, find alternatives? - still thinking about this....now 2 month ago, as this shows)

RR stuff has also been back-burnered, need to catch up on that: Same
       Abstract based on last paper done and sent in on time, received confirmation email, they'll let us know.
       Another venue for a related paper may take it Asked that group's coordinator if they'd entertain an abstract, awaiting reply
       Started the abstract, did a couple drafts, need to collate and start a final file, so it's ready when they say "yes," (of course!)           
Either separate text-related study to go with it or both together
        So, still need to:
           1) Find comparanda     
           2) Org. files, esp those torn apart prepping the most recent abstract

Grocery foraging? Same - Again, funny how that happens: every week it needs to be done again...!!
Sat: Swing dance Sat. night--try to go ! None until after tours finish in August/early Sept.
Collapse!

Longer term planning:
Acc - Students, theory book, own warmups, play out more, practice both kybds
      Give music, theory pages to students to work on.
      Review modes, create teaching pages for (14-yr-old!) student who requested them
      Find instructional songbook for voice student now he's ready for more.
      Revw. 20 Is. Dnc. tunes 'n' dances (bar/bat mitzvah options arise)- mk notebook w/both together.
Bgd - Liked doing the blog...hmmm....another one?
            Could do on Teachers' stones, Doctors' stones, others. - working on ideas, could use to develop text for the book...
       Work on 17th c. Ch. 1 stones/OCBG bk- get pix, print, play "gravestone rummy." Write up results. - 5 7/75 stones done
       Think about new tours on HSqMins, stonecarvers' homesites, religs Art&Arch for NP2 next year.
       Prep tours, ck on linkup with  Summertours website guys, collusion possible? - find them and ask!
             Reply to tour person who emailed me....I usually eschew the ghost tour people...hmmm...
DIcn - Keep on with RR, get back to booklet chapter along with that - Same
      Do separate thing on RR alone?
      Ditto KDnc mat's?
Sns/LtDnc - Write SAS once more, correct chapel name, get pix, forward to editor, and write my section/article. - Same
   Promised short Fr. article inclusion needs more info, N/A to emails: call? Write USPS? Can't go...!
       Look up serieG info on chapitre for calvaire, any bkgd missed? Finish article, send for Fr. edits.
   Promised short standalone article needs liturgical office backup. Go see m'films...when? Backed up!
   Compile promised litdnc worksforward to sympathetic OSPguy soon, before he forgets!
DIcon- No word on poss. article from last month's conference paper, inquire about that...
   Do-- Draft final article from that, get more comparanda done, take the long view, write it up.
   Since none to few in the previous conference gave any critique I'll have to go further afield.
   See about submissions by invitation for their journal: no evidence of that so far. Find out.
    Type up the scraps of text I started to set up to work from, use that to develop it further.
    Remember to alternate between compiling sources and just thinking about the work.
    Remember to print up pix, do "match-up rummy," into different categories.
    Remember to ck with musicians I'll want to teach Renaissance dances at next year's banquet.
NP - Giving up on setup for fall conference, needed to meet co-conveners sooner, get out now--I think ED sees this now.
      Nope: he still wants to play with the big boys; I can only do damage control, but I'm NOT doing all the work we'd have done 
      if they'd gotten back to us 6 mo. ago: It's too late for PR, we have other priorities, he's not well...it's really stupid!
   SMag needs attention: next topic, get this one further along, etc.
   Website changes, ck on followup
   CGs need to take off, how support further?
   Do BStdy on Wshp/Arts - Started
   Develop alt-inc options if NP goes south, as it could...DIN - Yep - see above.
   Do Qbks entries, clean up further, run new reports, do new trial bal. (Tomorrow...) - Need to do another run, fix typos, cells
       The laptop we have QBks on is about to die, I had to take out time to download on a different machine; backup opened OK.
   Start next CC, Twts, Contact friendly colleague, get ideas (call/write again, he ghosted on me)

Overall:
  Apt. needs attention.
  Money decisions to make - pay that big bill that just appeared! DIN (do it now)!
  Two friends moving, need more help; one actively moving now, one more drive might do it. - Did all I can, the rest is up to her.

Well, a few more things crossed off. More to go. C'est la vie!

M.

octoprof

Legs are killing me.

Today I really must:
Email students a general reminder, ride the bike to the next village, shop for bike parts, remind husband to do laundry, do some PT, read a little, write postcards, grade that one problematic exam

Teaching
In Progress
Prep for Fall
Prep for Spring

Research
Projects
Mentoring
Rhonda: What is that last email about? Read something from student's folder, make to do list, next call: 7/16 4pm

Service/Admin

Personal
Back on the PT bandwagon - July: 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 10

polly_mer

Professional

• Contact my co-lead and figure out how we go forward after receiving the disheartening news that we must work in Word using track changes for the editors.
  • Write my next assigned section for the dreaded track-changes paper
  • Notify my co-lead that I'm taking the secretary up on her offer to organize monthly writing group meetings so we go forward
  • Go into work and get that script back up to date to produce results for Monday's meeting.
  • Dig out the data for the next paper and get a draft going.
  • Complete the draft for that paper and send it around for internal comment
  • Address the comments from the code review and get my pull request updated
  • Go visit the relevant people to discuss what to do with the project where the software just isn't ready yet, it's not my task to make it ready, and the clock is ticking to report on progress for this project

Personal

• Go read the documents for today's meeting with the lawyer (no biggie, we decided to be real grown-ups and gets wills/powers of attorney dutifully filed).
  • Sign the documents with the lawyer and get the documents distributed to where they need to go
  • Break out the ancient laptop and continue working on the conversion from the physical card catalog to an electronic data base.  The laptop is so I can sit in the library while I do it in case I have to double check something.
  • Write as many post-it notes as it takes to let go of some of the books as I convert from physical card catalog to electronic data base.  Giving the books away means I don't have to do as much new data entry.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mamselle

Today-only list:
Not necessarily in order:

A. Pack food for rest/day
B. Clear some space in some room somewhere...pick one!
C. Choreograph the day

1. Figure out how to pay bill online that's different from my usual utilities/direct pay setup.
2. Do one more 17th c. grvstn study, now, or tonight at library
3. Edit for friend's book intro (paying gig, this is good...)
4. Students 5-7 PM (collect check for month)
5. Library or wifi cafe, more editing, writing, and/or well-paying
6. Drop off books at library booksale for friend who's moving
7. Practice
8. Print PR pages
9. Reply to interested group re: tour org, PR, etc.- calling in just a bit now...
10. Go over to-do list for NP, prep for mtg tomorrow

octoprof

Rainy day today so we might just chill and do nothing much.

Today I really must:
Email students a general reminder, do some PT, read a little, write postcards, grade that one problematic exam, sew on the thing, prep for CC, 4pm conference call

Teaching
In Progress
Prep for Fall
Prep for Spring

Research
Projects
Mentoring
Rhonda: What is that last email about? Read something from student's folder, make to do list, next call: 7/16 4pm

Service/Admin

Personal
Back on the PT bandwagon - July: 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11

mamselle

Hi, everyone!!

OK, got a few things done yesterday;

Yesterday-only list: Not necessarily in order:

A. Pack food for rest/day
B. Clear some space in some room somewhere...pick one!

C. Choreograph the day - It choreographed itself, not in a bad way, after all was said and done!

1. Figure out how to pay bill online that's different from my usual utilities/direct pay setup.
2. Do one more 17th c. grvstn study, now, or tonight at library - got three started, more to do
3. Edit for friend's book intro (paying gig, this is good...)
4. Students 5-7 PM (collect check for month)
5. Library or wifi cafe, more editing, writing, and/or bill-paying
6. Drop off books at library booksale for friend who's moving
7. Practice
8. Print PR pages
9. Reply to interested group re: tour org, PR, etc.- calling in just a bit now...spoke to them, we will each send stuff
10. Go over to-do list for NP, prep for mtg tomorrow

Now, today, whatever:

Today-only list:
Not necessarily in order:

A. Choreograph the day

1. Figure out how to pay bill online that's different from my usual utilities/direct pay setup. - DIN (Do It Now!!) has to be sent today
2. Do one more 17th c. grvstn study, now, or tonight at library - follow up on the ones I started yesterday
3. Edit for friend's book intro (paying gig, this is good...) - more to do this afternoon
4. Students 6:30-8:30 PM
5. Library or wifi cafe, more editing, writing, and/or well-paying
6. Drop off books at library booksale for friend who's moving - stop home, pick up and go there after teaching
7. Practice
8. Distribute PR pages - after drop off books, same area as library
9. Send stuff to interested group re: tour org, PR, etc.- calling in just a bit now...
10. Go over to-do list for NP, finish one item, send out by 2:30 PM (in one hour, eep!!)

M.

drbrt

18 hours of flying
go see doctor about meds and MMR booster
Stay up till nighttime before going to bed
Meditate at some point to keep my streak on headspace