News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Paralysis Analysis Renewed!

Started by mamselle, June 06, 2019, 01:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddington_bear

Good luck on the closing, Puget!

Ugh. I think I'm opposed to making lists.   Not all of these have a clear deadline (which might be part of the problem) but I'm hoping that writing them down will somehow encourage me to complete them.

Personal
*make car appt
*go to CA for Thanksgiving?
*make appt for pup

Academic
*register for conference
*make hotel res for conference
*finish 240 syll

Puget

Thanks Paddington!
Ticking off some stuff and adding more. . . isn't that the way of the world.
House

• Go to bank and wire all the money to closing attorney (gulp) Sent and received
  • Contact utility companies to switch them to me: power, gas, sewer/water (city) Done
  • Follow up with plumber to accept estimate and schedule work. [Left a message]
  • Follow up with third floor place re: estimate. Choose between the 3 companies and schedule work. [Got 3rd estimate. Want to go with him if he responds to my questions today].
  • Get details on schedule for Friday, assemble things I need to bring [1 PM!]
  • call tub refinishing places for estimates
  • have apartment 90% packed up before I leave for trip on the 5th

Work

• DP review
  • JAD review
  • Feedback on grads preregistration draft
  • Feedback on incoming MA student thesis ideas
  • Feedback on RAs poster draft
[/quote]
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Puget

House

• Go to bank and wire all the money to closing attorney (gulp) Sent and received
  • Contact utility companies to switch them to me: power, gas, sewer/water (city) Done
  • Follow up with plumber to accept estimate and schedule work. [Left a message]
  • Follow up with third floor place re: estimate. Choose between the 3 companies and schedule work.
  • Get details on schedule for Friday, assemble things I need to bring Closed!
  • contact tub refinishing places for estimates
  • have apartment 90% packed up before I leave for trip on the 5th (Making good progress)
  • Find a plumber to tighten down toilet
  • Keys and payment for floor guy
  • Pictures of tub for estimate

Work

• DP review
  • JAD review
  • Feedback on grad #1's preregistration draft
  • Feedback on RAs poster draft
  • Feedback on grad #3's results draft
  • Feedback on grad #2's results draft
[/list]
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."

mamselle

Whoa, Octo! That's pretty mean! Not fair, ill-considered....I could think of a lot of other words (and I bet you can and have already...)

Puget, yea for the house sale! Even with all the nonsense details, it is sooooo much of a relief to have it off your list (we sold our family house last year and oh, my, the level of detail (and my younger brother, who has an RE license in the state it was located in, was point person...but still....)

There are still two plots of desert soil in New Mexico that will go for taxes at some point, but we don't know when. And we signed over two others near Buckeye Lake in OH that were not properly conveyed to our dad in 1969 from our grandfather...and going back through all the books, we could see how they'd bought the parcel (there were 8 sub-plots, I think) from a county-wide fire sale in the 1940s....that had resulted from similar issues earlier in the 1900s.

I think I have discovered a new unknown (but surely not unnatural) love for early deed books (I've worked in book #2 of the MA archives...1640s)...maybe it goes with my already-deeply entrenched addiction to 13th c. manuscripts.

Anyway...I think l stay away from this listing stuff as long as I'm getting stuff done, then when I hit a snag or get becalmed, I come back.

So: Today:

Church
Lunch at wifi cafe
Plan December trip (UK/Fr/BE)
   1. Towns to visit each day
   2. Libraries, hours and closings at the end of December (some only close 12/25 and 1/1, others, both weeks...sort 'em out!!)
   3. Lodgings - Half worked out, more to do
   4. Friends to visit (some are also lodgings...)
   5. Travel options (which help straighten out quandries, some trips work better in one dir. than the other) - more to book.

Sent passel of previous writings to a friend who will look at them and tell em if there's a book in them or not (maybe?)

Yet to do, tonight or all day tomorrow (no students on Mondays at the moment, yea!)
A. BGdBk: 10 more gravestones; start thinking how to organize the 17th c. chapter (which will go for all the chapters, so...hmmm...).
B. Editing for a friend's much-delayed book first section (paid): two first segments done; 10 more mini-segments in this section)
C. Apt. needs attention. Maybe 1/4 of one room? (Bargaining with the cleaning and clearing genies)
D. Mvt wm-ups,
E. Prep food for the week
F. Review NP job needs, figure out what can and what can't be done by me, or others, or anyone
G. Plan students' new music needs (good that they're getting through their pieces but then I have to figure out what to give them next!)
H. Prep tours for Sat, try to get more PR out earlier, including Tweets and talk with PR agent who wants to work with me...hmmm...)
I. Remember that long list back a few pages? Find, re-evaluate, and think more long term with it in mind. Do It Now (DIN). Hmmmm..

Lots of hmmmmsss.....

Hmmmm....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Puget

Thanks Mamselle. Still so much to do before I move in on the 17th, but getting there bit by bit.
Cleaning up and updating the list.

House

• have apartment 90% packed up before I leave for trip on the 5th (Making good progress)
  • Check and signed estimate for sewer/water guy- leave on counter at house
  • Make sure auto-pay got set up successfully for mortgage, mail check if not

Work

• Grant power analysis
[/list]

Puget

House

• have apartment 90% packed up before I leave for trip on the 5th (About down to the things I still really need out)
  • Check and signed estimate for sewer/water guy- leave on counter at house
  • Make sure auto-pay got set up successfully for mortgage, mail check if not
  • Trim the bushes out front and mow if necessary before I leave for trip so it doesn't look terrible for neighbors

Work

• Grant power analysis
  • Grant gender diff section
[/list]

mamselle

You're welcome, Puget!

All good thoughts to others!

Not going to copy and cross-off yet, but today's needs are mired in a mini-depression, I think, over the discovery that the editing I started doing the other day unearthed some serious plagiarism, and I'm going to have to confront the writer with it. (I went to check a footnote, and realized I'd found the "pony" for the text-that-seemed-off-in-voice-for-this-writer...grrr). Infuriating....discouraging...yucky....grr...

When I'm angry, I can turn it inward on myself until it puts me in a kind of lassitude-like depression...and I have stuff to do today that can't wait around for me to get out of the dumps about this.

So...
1. Go set up PR for tomorrow's tours
2. Home, prep and clean necessary items,
3. Make dinner.
4. Check out of the 21st c. until tomorrow at 7 PM.
5. Do three more gravestone studies
6. Early to bed, and to rise... erc.
7. Scintillating, enjoyable, brilliant tours based on my own research, given in my own words[]/i..a-hem...
8. Decide if lugging an instrument to a jam session across town would be fun, or onerous--depends on tour demands...and would break my my "no more than two different centuries in a given day" rule for historical sanity...
9. Start new bodice, now that the lovely new fabric has arrived...soft all-cotton jacobean print...yummm...
10. Decide and do on all the other listed stuff after church on Sunday.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nucleo

Greetings, all!  Mind if I join?

Gah!  So much to do that if I wrote out the whole list, it would overwhelm me.  So I think that I will write just a few tasks and go from there.

Course I am handing off

• email S re homework and readings

• course outline
  • chapter 6 test bank
  • chapter 17 homework

misc

• install KVM switch

polly_mer

Quote from: polly_mer on July 19, 2019, 05:04:02 AM

• Conference call on the track-changes project
  • Visit to financial planner to continue wrapping up the lawyer documents
  • Progress on the project I haven't even mentioned here that needs to be wrapped up soon
  • Personal library work unpacking and cataloging

I have only about 100 index cards left and zero boxes at the house (still several dozen boxes 3 hours away that we'll retrieve slowly).
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

octoprof

How's it going, Puget, mamselle, nucleo, and Polly?

I started a new job with lots of new tasks and ill defined policies and procedures so I've been drowning for the past six weeks or so. Why do these positions have no manual or instructions or something? It's so exhausting to figure out every new thing anew every day. I feel so stupid.

This too shall pass, no?
Welcome your cephalopod overlord.

mamselle

I worked as an EA for an office where all the policy notebooks had to built from the ground up.

It was sort-of interesting in the sense that we built something useful for the institute, but then the overseeing group decided to change all their programs, and the person I was supporting left (they basically did him out of a job) so I don't know what happened after that.

Institutional memory vacillates between amnesia and Altzheimers', I sometimes think.

Good luck!

And--here's a life raft to help out with not drowning...hmm....well....sort of. (Where's conjugate when you need a type-figure-drawer?)

------------------------
      (                               )
        ------------------------
          ------------------------
M.

octoprof

Quote from: mamselle on September 23, 2019, 05:15:15 PM
Institutional memory vacillates between amnesia and Altzheimers', I sometimes think.

This. And other people in the same job across the university just say useful stuff like "Wing it!" and "You'll figure it out!" HELLO? You have been doing the parallel job for 10 years, perhaps you might have some knowledge to share? No? Can't be bothered? Well, thanks.

Sorry, i'm extra tired and über grumpy tonight.

octoprof

mamselle

Thanks for asking.

It's good to see you here.

I'm going into chapel now, then have six setups for an upcoming board meeting to put into place.

Then...editing the newsletter one last time before it goes to the printer, and run a brief 25-piece mail merge and print it.

Then...if it stops raining, going to the town next door to start plotting the tour I will be discussing Friday and giving the 19th. (If it's raining, stay in the library and plan my paper for 11/2 in OH and the related research in EU...and the UK, if there still is one, in December.)

Tonight, monastery service at 5.30, then the local library to finish a study I can only do there (local history sources)

Tomorrow, my usual students are off (Yom Kippur) so I'll do either one of the things I couldn't do above, then go to check out options for a Wild Pizza Search the first night of the upcoming conference, and the Dessert Scavenger Hunt the last night. (Area has many of both....it's important to get them right...)

I will have to sample the goods, of course....am bringing a friend to help.

Teaching, meetings, and more tour prep on Thursday and Friday...have to print handouts.

And then home.

You?

M.
M.

mamselle

Thanks for asking.

It's good to see you here.

I'm going into chapel now, then have six setups for an upcoming board meeting to put into place.

Then...editing the newsletter one last time before it goes to the printer, and run a brief 25-piece mail merge and print it.

Then...if it stops raining, going to the town next door to start plotting the tour I will be discussing Friday and giving the 19th. (If it's raining, stay in the library and plan my paper for 11/2 in OH and the related research in EU...and the UK, if there still is one, in December.)

Tonight, monastery service at 5.30, then the local library to finish a study I can only do there (local history sources)

Tomorrow, my usual students are off (Yom Kippur) so I'll do either one of the things I couldn't do above, then go to check out options for a Wild Pizza Search the first night of the upcoming conference, and the Dessert Scavenger Hunt the last night. (Area has many of both....it's important to get them right...)

I will have to sample the goods, of course....am bringing a friend to help.

Teaching, meetings, and more tour prep on Thursday and Friday...have to print handouts.

And then home.

You?

M.