News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Post your asides here

Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paultuttle

That list of identifiable quirks you created after your family pet died? We do that with people too: "Remember how Aunt Gertrude used to . . . . ?"

And that helps them live on in our memory.

A specific example from my own family: The actress who played the Fat Lady in the first Harry Potter movie looked much like and sounded very nearly identical to my mother's older sister, who had been a seventh-grade English teacher for years.

Somewhat intimidating in her impenetrable pomposity, she always moved and spoke with considerable (self-conscious/deliberate) gravitas. But she became human to me for just about an hour one time during a family reunion when she learned that I was (then) studying to be a high school English teacher--she spoke warmly and enthusiastically about her love of teaching, how fulfilled she felt when her students succeeded, and how gratified she was when they returned and thanked her for being such a wonderful, memorable teacher. (I was quite frankly amazed but welcomed the revelation. I never again saw this side of her.)

These days, I remember what had been even her most irritatingly hoity-toity mannerisms with great fondness, knowing the depth of commitment to, and considerable love of, teaching that those mannerisms had hid.

nescafe

I genuinely can't tell whether that one poster is a troll, a comedic sock managed by another poster, or someone who actually doesn't know better.

My confusion is probably a testament to how good a troll this person is. So well done?

downer

Quote from: nescafe on November 18, 2019, 03:18:34 PM
I genuinely can't tell whether that one poster is a troll, a comedic sock managed by another poster, or someone who actually doesn't know better.

My confusion is probably a testament to how good a troll this person is. So well done?

I can see the amusement for the poster "behind the curtain" but our Cowardly Lion isn't funny.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

FishProf

Those are some pretty nefarious characters you are describing.  Are they real?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Liquidambar

If I started a "dead horse" thread for everyone, could you take all your dead horses there for beating?
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

fast_and_bulbous

Quote from: Liquidambar on November 23, 2019, 08:31:22 AM
If I started a "dead horse" thread for everyone, could you take all your dead horses there for beating?

One man's dead horse is another's righteous crusade.

Soon there won't even be a horse, it'll just be a shallow trench in the ground.
I wake up every morning with a healthy dose of analog delay

ciao_yall

Quote from: fast_and_bulbous on November 23, 2019, 09:43:07 AM
Quote from: Liquidambar on November 23, 2019, 08:31:22 AM

One man's dead horse is another's righteous crusade.

Soon there won't even be a horse, it'll just be a shallow trench in the ground.

That horse has been dead a loooonnnngggg time.

All I see is a greasy spot and remnants of what might have been a mane.

polly_mer

Quote from: downer on November 18, 2019, 05:22:19 PM
Quote from: nescafe on November 18, 2019, 03:18:34 PM

I can see the amusement for the poster "behind the curtain" but our Cowardly Lion isn't funny.

If it's the one I'm thinking, I know too many people who get stuck in the rut to write off as troll.  That's why I continue to beat on that dead horse well past the patience of others.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

nescafe

I'll say this much. Six years on the job market, and it was the year I got a pair of those glasses that I got the job.

So.

archaeo42

WTF motivates you to say sh!t like that?
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

polly_mer

Quote from: archaeo42 on December 12, 2019, 12:56:34 PM
I use up all my filters at work.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

archaeo42

Quote from: polly_mer on December 12, 2019, 06:01:13 PM
Quote from: archaeo42 on December 12, 2019, 12:56:34 PM
I use up all my filters at work.

Not directed at anything you've posted.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

San Joaquin

Random speculation:

Do ideas gel, or crystallize?  Does it depend on your personal chemistry?

downer

There is such a thing as a stupid question.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: downer on December 13, 2019, 09:55:43 AM
There is such a thing as a stupid question.

Are you denying the existence of stupid people?
<ducks & runs>