News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Post your asides here

Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

I'm concerned about having work in the fall, and the president of the college is referring to 'Black Lives Matter' in his communications with us  as though it should be assumed we are all aligned with this particular identity politics movement. So yes, I am a bit worried about how I can fit in in these new turbulent times. Fortunately I'm not on campus so I'm not pressured to have a 'Black Lives Matter' sticker on the office door, for instance. but that kind of situation may be coming.
From the Black Lives Matter webpage, "What We Believe"

"We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and "villages" that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable."

Not gonna endorse this type of thing. The dissolution of the family has been one of the worst setbacks.

FishProf

Avoiding a derail.

I too have radio silence in an entirely online course.  With <1 week to go, 3 students have done Zero work, made no contact, and have not dropped.

It's a good thing I don't round up.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

polly_mer

<unrelated>

When the bottom falls out and it's actually your life that's affected, I will laugh in your face if you are dumb enough to post anything along the lines of "How could I have possibly known?"

I'll feel bad for the people who just got unlucky and were unable to get out of a bad situation once they realized, but not you with your hands over your ears singing so loudly to drown out any actual advice and knowledge.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

arcturus

<unrelated>

I must be getting old and grumpy. The combination of positivity and naivete grates like fingernails on a chalkboard.  Can't we just go back to beating the dead horses again?

Edited to add: Please note that no actual equines were damaged in this or in any other posting referenced herein.

mamselle

Related to the above.

I saw that cloud forming, but a bit of fresh air can help clear the negative naivete, too.

Not that we have any of that...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

How is that different from saying "I think"?

mamselle

^Unrelated..

"Hey, it's just a phrase. Why get all bent outta shape about it?

We don't mean anything unkind, you know; we're just kiddin' around.

Can't you take a joke?"

(Otherwise known as "gander sauce")
M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

I read that as "quiet as a MOOSE". 

I thought "now that is excellent antiphrasis".   Nope.  Just poor reading.

apl68

If somebody at work brings garden-fresh tomatoes to share, and you decide to put one in your book bag to take home for salads, be sure to remember that you put it in the bag when you get home.  Otherwise you may not find it again until a week or two later.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

FishProf

The same goes for blackberries in your trunk.  Always double check after shopping.

ab_grp

Another item not to leave buried at the bottom of your work bag for several weeks: banana.

mamselle

Unrelated to the above:

Contrarians gonna be contrary.

M.

FishProf

Quote from: mamselle on July 09, 2020, 10:35:40 AM
Unrelated to the above:

M.

We are NOT!

mamselle

Quote from: FishProf on July 09, 2020, 01:49:43 PM
Quote from: mamselle on July 09, 2020, 10:35:40 AM
Unrelated to the above:

M.

We are NOT!

Thanks, I needed that chuckle.

M.

FishProf