News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Post your asides here

Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

little bongo

Hmm. Hard to know where to begin with this--lack of coherence impedes meaning, and I'm not sure how we landed in Central Park. Also, I was responding to some transphobia on the DIRE question thread. Nevertheless...

1) I believe the purpose of this thread in particular is just what it says--an "aside." If my aside in this case solves a problem or two, I'm happy to oblige.
2) You and I have actually said the exact same thing (if I'm understanding you correctly, which I might not be, because of the coherence thing)--if we do acknowledge that people see things differently (that is, we stop being bigots), then there is indeed no more problem. So maybe I have solved a problem--yay, me.

As long as nobody asked, here's something else I can solve--or rather, I could solve it if I could arrange for everybody on earth to go back in time and have my 3rd grade teacher. You see, when I was in 3rd grade, I was called out by the teacher for doing something or other. And I protested that so-and-so was doing it, too, and something worse besides.

I was shot down with appropriate speed and alacrity--"We're not talking about so-and-so, are we? We're talking about YOU, Mr. Bongo."

Well, it's Dr. Bongo, now, and we've all passed a lot of water since then. But that lesson stuck with me and apparently very few other people that I come across in the news. When you've done something wrong, you are accountable. For that particular subject, we're not talking about anybody else.  This insight has many, many applications that I won't go into here, but one thing to consider--before you write, or say, "What about this...." just think: were we talking about "this"? I'll bet we weren't.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

aside

[unrelated]

Now that's not blatantly racist, is it?

ergative

FishProf

That's not an argument.  That is just blatant hostility.  You've been doing that a lot lately.  Are you OK?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

downer

The poster spends a lot more time writing about the problem here than it would take just to deal with the problem.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Cheerful

Quote from: downer on September 25, 2020, 06:11:35 AM
The poster spends a lot more time writing about the problem here than it would take just to deal with the problem.

Perhaps the fora community has done about all it can to help this person.  Maybe we are enabling/making things worse by continuing to respond and having a new round of the same conversation every few weeks.

It's sad to see someone so miserable/struggling and not finding a way forward after getting so much empathetic advice.

Therapy seems like the next best step for this person.

downer

Quote from: Cheerful on September 25, 2020, 07:12:04 AM

Perhaps the fora community has done about all it can to help this person.  Maybe we are enabling/making things worse by continuing to respond and having a new round of the same conversation every few weeks.

It's sad to see someone so miserable/struggling and not finding a way forward after getting so much empathetic advice.

I agree with you but I wasn't referring to that poster.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

ciao_yall

Quote from: downer on September 25, 2020, 07:21:00 AM
Quote from: Cheerful on September 25, 2020, 07:12:04 AM

I agree with you but I wasn't referring to that poster.

There are several who resemble that remark.

FishProf

Not liking the answer and not knowing the answer are not the same thing. 

Also, how much you like the advice has no bearing on its soundness.

FishProf

What an unfortunate juxtaposition of posts.  Disturbing image.

RatGuy

"Pish posh" is a thing I'm trying out.

little bongo

<unrelated>

H. Sebastian Chr-st on a f-cking bicycle, were we even discussing those two???? What is the f-cking title of the f-cking forum?????

Hm, maybe this should have been a vent.

aside

[unrelated]

A stale doughnut is a concept with which I am not familiar.

mamselle

Quote from: RatGuy on September 28, 2020, 07:56:00 AM
"Pish posh" is a thing I'm trying out.

My favorite use is in the title of a children's book, "Pish, Posh Said Hieronymus Bosch"

https://www.amazon.com/Nancy-Willard-Pish-Hieronymus-Bosch/dp/B000WQP804#reader_B000WQP804

I've read it to classes and sent it as gifts to friends' children...it's gorgeous, hilarious, and one of my treasures.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.