News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Yep, we deglaze pans while cooking, and I looked it up, too! Sometimes I am sure something is a word, only to find out it is not or that I have spelled it incorrectly.  But that one seemed pretty obvious.  I noticed while posting earlier that deglaze and deglazed both get red lines under them, so maybe they aren't considered to be official words? Though so geez also got the red line.  And if they can have all sorts of stuff like fanfic, which also gets the red line, I would think a common-enough term like deglaze could be included.   I just now looked at various relevant Twitter accounts and see that we were not the only ones unhappy with that omission and that deglaze is in Merriam-Webster.  Sam Ezersky replied and indicated that deglaze and deglazed would be included in the future.

As for dizzied, I got so used to adding "d" or "ed" to words that were in the list without them that I fell into the trap of not thinking about words not in the list that could be if they were changed and that was added.  Usually I'm better about that because I have fallen into that trap before and learned from it, but I guess I just didn't get there yesterday.

Langue_doc

Parasaurolophus, welcome to the club.

Not recognizing deglaze, especially this time of the year when people are thinking about making gravy, is a cardinal sin.

Langue_doc

I missed helve yesterday. I don't see myself telling someone to hold the helve of their hammer or to be careful when holding the helve of their ax or hatchet!

ab_grp

We missed helve, too. And halva and halvah.  And it took a rather stupid amount of time for us to get the pangram, given that we were sitting on the front patio, drinking coffee, facing our Chevy Avalanche.  I realized that after I had found the pangram, and spouse did not get it until later in the day.  Oh well!

I managed to get to QB today after being stuck on a final 5-letter word.  Today's seemed a bit easier to me.  At least there didn't seem to be any really esoteric words included.

Parasaurolophus

Six short of genius today, and haven't found the pangram yet.

Perhaps when I do find it, it'll unleash a torrent of other words and I can get QB. I can't be too far off.
I know it's a genus.

reener06

Yesterday the damn pangram took forever and then just showed my gender biases.

Today I got it as the first word. Must've been the 'x' or something. But short of getting queen bee and I got little sleep last night so I'm satisfied with being a genius. Of sorts.

ab_grp

I had some trouble with the pangram yesterday, too.  I got noble and ennoble, then finally noblemen.  Luckily the light bulb clicked on! But they are so inconsistent about when they include both men and women.   The final word I got was melee.  I get too hung up on more typical letter combos.

It took a bit to get the (?) pangram today, but I made it to about 17 points short of QB.  Now I am stuck again.

Langue_doc

I made it to QB yesterday. I got the pangram early on, as I remembered previous puzzles that allowed compounds containing men and women. As for today, I got stuck on 49 points this morning. I'll have to tackle the rest later.

Langue_doc

Short and easy one today; made it to QB!

Parasaurolophus

Yes, very easy today. But since my skills have been deteriorating, it's a welcome reset!
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Man! I came here thinking everyone would be saying how hard today's is.  Congrats to both of you! For whatever reason, this one is taking me a while.  I am at 60 points, but the last bit is escaping me, so I will do some other things and hope the coffee kicks in.  Today's crossword was also made by the Spelling Bee guy, and that was also a bear, even for a Saturday puzzle. 

Parasaurolophus

Well, if it's any consolation, I'm still 33 short of genius today! =p
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

The y makes it difficult to find words. Think of a couple of slangy expressions, email, and noise.

Not sure if these are American rather than North American expressions; the y doesn't have to be at the end.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc