News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneMoreYear

My Friday afternoon class began yesterday's class by students showing off their kittens and puppies. My two cats declined to participate in the furry fun, as neither enjoy being picked up.  Ninja will occasionally walk across the computer keyboard or lay across my notes as I'm attempting to teach. Ricochet steadfastly ignores the proceedings.
Does anyone else have a cat who spends almost their entire day in one place? When the stay-at-home order started, Ricochet was spending about 95% of her time lounging on the family room loveseat. For the last couple of weeks, she has decided that her new home is on a pile of cloth grocery bags we had thrown in front of the door with the initial intention of putting them back in the car.  As she appears so happy on her bags, we have left them there for her to nest in.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Eldest evil cat had two procedures today, which involved the removal of teeth and two masses. He is stoned out of his mind right now and I feel terrible for him. All we can do is wait for him to recover.

mamselle

Oh, dear....were the masses already biopsied, or are you awaiting those results as well?

Poor kitty, please administer additional scritches (if he'll tolerate them) on my behalf when he awakens.

All good thoughts for all of you...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on June 03, 2020, 03:33:14 PM
Oh, dear....were the masses already biopsied, or are you awaiting those results as well?

Poor kitty, please administer additional scritches (if he's tolerate them) on my behalf when he awakens.

All good thoughts for all of you...

M.

Thanks Mamselle.

Things have been 'tense' over here. Biopsy is going out today and we should hear within a week. He is already stalking Youngest evil cat even though he's wearing a cone-of-shame. Meanwhile, she has retreated under the couch (while growling incessantly).

Larimar

Poor kitty. Fingers crossed for him here too.

AmLitHist

Jake is discovering the joys of gardening.  ALHS dug two deep holes by the front porch, then went around back to get the new hostas to set in. He had to wait for the kitten to come out of the hole.  Then, he had to contend with Jake digging out the dirt he was using to fill in the holes, as fast as he could shovel it in.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Actually, I should have said 'Elder' evil cat, as he is the one who had the procedure. Eldest evil cat didn't have it.

It's still tense around here. Youngest evil cat is still incredibly wary of Elder. Much growling, tail bristling and staring on her part. Elder evil cat couldn't care less.

Unfortunately, he looks like Dr. Frankenstein's cat with the jagged stitching on his side. He does have a very good appetite though.

I'm not sure if I can take 2 weeks of Youngest evil cat's shit though. She attacked him last night- right in the face... possibly where he had his tooth extractions, but he was pretty stoned yesterday so...

Elder evil cat meanders along though, while bumping into things with his cone-of-shame. Sometimes we have to free him from spots, so the downstairs now looks like a crazy obstacle course with boxes all over the place blocking alcoves, etc. 

Fun on the bun!

OneMoreYear

I'm so sorry to hear about poor baby evil cat. I hope he feels better soon.

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 04, 2020, 10:07:16 AM

I'm not sure if I can take 2 weeks of Youngest evil cat's shit though. She attacked him last night- right in the face... possibly where he had his tooth extractions, but he was pretty stoned yesterday so...

Last year we had to take Ninja to the emergency vet for breathing problems.  When we brought her home, Ricochet, whose usual reaction to any change is to run and hide, completely lost her shit and attached Ninja, growling, hissing, and biting. We had to lock her in bathroom for most of the day. We think it was possibly the smell of the vet/medication, and after Ninja had given herself several baths, Ricochet seemed to recognize her again.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: OneMoreYear on June 04, 2020, 10:37:00 AM

Last year we had to take Ninja to the emergency vet for breathing problems.  When we brought her home, Ricochet, whose usual reaction to any change is to run and hide, completely lost her shit and attached Ninja, growling, hissing, and biting. We had to lock her in bathroom for most of the day. We think it was possibly the smell of the vet/medication, and after Ninja had given herself several baths, Ricochet seemed to recognize her again.

We figured as much. I think it's nonrecognition aggression. Unfortunately, he can't really clean himself at this point due to the cone and stitches.

Puget

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 04, 2020, 12:45:53 PM
Quote from: OneMoreYear on June 04, 2020, 10:37:00 AM

We figured as much. I think it's nonrecognition aggression. Unfortunately, he can't really clean himself at this point due to the cone and stitches.

Hoping for the best for you both with the biopsy  results and reconciliation among the cats!

Yes this seems to be very common. My pair of sibs, who are usually best buds, both spent time hissing and swatting at each other after their respective spay and neuter vet visits. When panther boy came home, little calico spent about a day simultaneously hissing at him and grooming him, which was very confusing to everyone involved. It's like her tiny cat brain just couldn't reconcile unfamiliar smell with familiar sight and launched two behavioral patterns at once!  After she'd gotten enough of her own scent back on him all was well in the world again.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

Yes, separating them for everybody's own good for a couple days will probably ease out the aggressions.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Elder Evil Cat must be feeling better (or the anesthesia finally wore off). He's been rolling and loving on me hard!

mamselle

Awww.....good for all of you.

Did he yowl a lot coming out of the anaesthesia?

They sometimes write the most endearing operas...

M.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on June 04, 2020, 06:03:30 PM

M.

He was very quiet yesterday, but still affectionate. Today, he was more vocal and even more affectionate. Right now, he is lying next to me in bed with his cone o' shame pushed up against my left arm. Actually, he's almost pushing me out of the bed. Did I mention that when he was younger that he used to spoon me?

the_geneticist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 04, 2020, 08:55:25 PM
Quote from: mamselle on June 04, 2020, 06:03:30 PM

M.

He was very quiet yesterday, but still affectionate. Today, he was more vocal and even more affectionate. Right now, he is lying next to me in bed with his cone o' shame pushed up against my left arm. Actually, he's almost pushing me out of the bed. Did I mention that when he was younger that he used to spoon me?

Aww, what a sweet kitty!  Hopefully the cone of shame can come off soon.