News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: FishProf on June 24, 2020, 05:29:40 AM
Orestes is still in the Hospital.  However,  the cardiac consult and the surgical intervention consults were both negative.  He's out of his oxygen tent and loving the attention.  I expect he will be home today.

Good news!

OneMoreYear

Quote from: FishProf on June 24, 2020, 05:29:40 AM
Orestes is still in the Hospital.  However,  the cardiac consult and the surgical intervention consults were both negative.  He's out of his oxygen tent and loving the attention.  I expect he will be home today.

Yay! Good news for Orestes and the FishProf family.  Now, Orestes, no more hospital adventures for you. 

mamselle

So glad to hear Orestes' good news--and yours.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

Orestes is coming home.  If I can pry Sir Cuteness away from the Hospital staff..
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

Quote from: FishProf on June 24, 2020, 09:49:25 AM
Orestes is coming home.  If I can pry Sir Cuteness away from the Hospital staff..

Yea!!!

Answered prayers...glad they've fallen in love with him, too.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Larimar

Hooray!

OneMoreYear

Woohoo! I hope that Orestes was successfully pried away from the hospital staff and is now where he is supposed to be, ruling over the FishProf family.

FishProf

The mighty Orestes has returned.  He is doing very well and is more loving/less skittish in his revival.

As for the Thundercats, Nox is pissed, Elektra is confused.

So, all is back to normal.

clean

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: FishProf on June 24, 2020, 02:26:34 PM
The mighty Orestes has returned.  He is doing very well and is more loving/less skittish in his revival.

Glad he's back. Why's Nox pissed?

FishProf

She has never taken to Orestes*.   She seemed almost giddy in her affection over the last few days, as if celebrating his absence.  She really seems put out that he is back.

* She bullied him when he was littler, but he is a Maine Coon and has outgrown her.  Lucky for her, he just wants to play.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: FishProf on June 24, 2020, 02:26:34 PM

Glad that everything is back in situ at the FishProf house. But, poor Nox. Her glee was short-lived.

In OMY cats news, we had a workcrew here for the last couple of days.  Ninja continued to try to introduce herself, so they could bow before her royalness.  Ricochet hid the entire time; I did successfully locate her latest hiding spot--behind the couch in a space so small she could not actually lie down (she's only 7 pounds).  Now that they have left, she has returned to her baseline level of squirreliness and has retreated to her spot in the back bedroom. 

smallcleanrat

Quote from: FishProf on June 24, 2020, 05:18:45 PM
She has never taken to Orestes*.   She seemed almost giddy in her affection over the last few days, as if celebrating his absence.  She really seems put out that he is back.

* She bullied him when he was littler, but he is a Maine Coon and has outgrown her.  Lucky for her, he just wants to play.

Was Nox part of the family before the other two? Does she wish to be an only kitty?

smallcleanrat

In other kitty news, Maestro has recently passed the 3-month mark. He's going in this week for the next round of vaccinations.

He's developing at an alarming rate. It seems every day he gets a little more athletic and a little more cunning. He's exploring places he couldn't reach before, so we are constantly kitty-proofing new areas. He doesn't understand we are trying to keep him alive and in one piece, only that we are ruining his fun; he makes annoyed chuffing noises at us when he sees us at it.

I'm a little intimidated. He seems enormous now compared to when we first brought him home, a goofy-looking, wobbly fuzzball. Now he's handsome, lanky and sleek as well as more and more difficult to pick up and carry away from mischief. And he's only a little over 3 pounds. His vet estimated Maestro would be 10-12 lb when full-grown. It's going to feel like living with a panther.

His biting tapered off for a bit, but with his new strength and agility he seems to have gained confidence to start testing boundaries again. It's getting harder to redirect him with toys. He knows the toys will be there later if he wants them, but hands and feet may not be, so those are always the prime targets. Help?

mamselle

A sharp, short little tap on the nose, with a quick, "No!" can help deter unwanted behavior.

It has to be right after the biting for them to "get it" and make the associations, and substitute the toy anyway, even if he's disdainful of it, to re-direct.

Those days of lithe, sleek, balletic adolescent kitty are sooo cool, though.

And so evanescent...as you're hearing, pretty soon he'll be filling out and plumping up and turning into Little Miss Muffet's Tuffet.

But that's cool, too....just a different kind of cool.

(Vicariously enjoying the growing-up-kitty stages here. My student's two little boycat critters just passed through this stage, it goes so quickly!)

Enjoy him in all seasons.

M.