News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Look! A bird!

Started by professor_pat, May 31, 2019, 11:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

A very insistent cardinal keeps singing, for the last three days now, just outside my window.

Since I occasionally "talk" with them (they will answer a reasonably similar whistled call to their own for several iterations) I wonder if he misses me?

(Very bright red, so it's definitely a "he"; the females are brownish).

Also, at 5 AM....just as I was dropping off to sleep....the morning chorus started up.

It was nice music to fall asleep to.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

While gathering trash
I hear fluttering above
Birds in the branches
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Thursday's_Child

First hummer yesterday!

Catherder

Mother mourning dove has been sitting in her nest continually for three days now.  Once or twice a day she gets relief from her mate who takes her place in the nest.

According to the Cornell site, that probably means two eggs due to hatch in about 10 days.

mamselle

Are they still billing and coping?

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on March 25, 2020, 07:42:33 AM
A very insistent cardinal keeps singing, for the last three days now, just outside my window.

Since I occasionally "talk" with them (they will answer a reasonably similar whistled call to their own for several iterations) I wonder if he misses me?

(Very bright red, so it's definitely a "he"; the females are brownish).

Also, at 5 AM....just as I was dropping off to sleep....the morning chorus started up.

It was nice music to fall asleep to.

M.

Mamselle:

Have you used the Auduban bird app? It has a TON of bird calls on it which I play for the birds to hear. I've had several cardinals, titmice and Carolina wrens fly near me to see who was making all the noise!

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on March 29, 2020, 08:28:51 AM
Mamselle:

Have you used the Auduban bird app? It has a TON of bird calls on it which I play for the birds to hear. I've had several cardinals, titmice and Carolina wrens fly near me to see who was making all the noise!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! 

Yes, I know I'm yelling, but please stop doing that.  It makes them think there's a challenger in their territory, can cause them to leave nests unprotected, and generally adds stress and disruption to their daily lives.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on March 29, 2020, 08:33:05 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on March 29, 2020, 08:28:51 AM
Mamselle:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! 

Yes, I know I'm yelling, but please stop doing that.  It makes them think there's a challenger in their territory, can cause them to leave nests unprotected, and generally adds stress and disruption to their daily lives.

Yikes! I didn't know. I did find an article about it.

https://www.audubon.org/news/how-use-birdcall-apps

Catherder

A few years ago I played a Cornell recording of loons at a pair on the lake in front of me. They took off immediately and it was two years before a loon returned to my part of the lake.  As E-P-W says, often these recordings are aggressive.

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on March 27, 2020, 04:25:31 PM

M.

That was supposed to be "cooing," not "coping"! I'm sooo tired of the aggressive spell-correct on this phone (and yes, I've tried to turn it off!)

I didn't realize my "bird-conversations" were upsetting to the birds. They usually only last a little while (5 might. max) as I'm walking down the street. I don't really want their tree, I thought I was just saying "hi!"

But I'll have a re-think about that.

M.

Catherder

Quote from: mamselle on March 29, 2020, 11:36:29 AM

M.

That was supposed to be "cooing," not "coping"! I'm sooo tired of the aggressive spell-correct on this phone (and yes, I've tried to turn it off!)

I didn't realize my "bird-conversations" were upsetting to the birds. They usually only last a little while (5 might. max) as I'm walking down the street. I don't really want their tree, I thought I was just saying "hi!"

M.

The she-dove is coping--sitting now in a cold rain for hours. The he-dove is awol.  So no more canoodling.

mamselle

Awww....hope he's just gone out for food.

M.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: mamselle on March 29, 2020, 11:36:29 AM

M.

M.

Mamselle, how do they behave when you 'talk back' to them?  If they're flying at or toward you then you're probably upsetting them.  If they just answer with another normal-sounding song, then there's a good chance they are saying something like "nice try!" because the true tonal complexity of many of their calls is probably too much for human abilities.

nebo113

Mamselle.....Thank you for your very civil response to our concerns.  And I absolutely mean that!  I'm soooooo tired of people who tell me to f*ck off when I do a gentle, tactful pushback....on other boards, of course.

mamselle

You're welcome.

We're all, always, learning.

M.