News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archaeo42

This is a situation where your buy-in leadership style is really a detriment. We need to make decisions. We aren't going to make everyone happy. Stop thinking we'll have some magical situation where we find a happy medium. It's not going to happen.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

Vkw10

Quote from: archaeo42 on March 31, 2020, 12:55:04 PM
This is a situation where your buy-in leadership style is really a detriment. We need to make decisions. We aren't going to make everyone happy. Stop thinking we'll have some magical situation where we find a happy medium. It's not going to happen.

Related: If you tell us to develop reporting method that works for our unique situations of Thursday, don't require us to all use X's format on Tuesday. I don't care about the report format, but I do care about time I wasted developing format.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

ciao_yall

Vkw10

Contingency planning means planning for possibilities. If we wait until we have firm budget numbers, it's called panic.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

ergative

We're dealing with this in different ways. You want contact and affection and hugs. I want to withdraw into myself and wait it out. Please just let me be alone for a few hours a day and stop touching me.

Anselm

Will you admin critters at least admit that some subjects can't be taught in an online format like ceramics and aviation?
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

archaeo42

No we do not need a meeting to collectively write a response to those questions. WTF are you thinking.

Also, see the draft of responses I sent last week. That apparently you failed to notice. Read that and comment on it.

apl68

Quote from: Anselm on April 02, 2020, 08:40:12 PM
Will you admin critters at least admit that some subjects can't be taught in an online format like ceramics and aviation?

So having students play "Flight Simulator" online isn't considered adequate.  Who knew?
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

archaeo42

Quote from: apl68 on April 03, 2020, 07:33:29 AM

So having students play "Flight Simulator" online isn't considered adequate.  Who knew?

Are you saying Flight of the Navigator lied to us?

Anselm

OK, I was a little careless in my frustration.   Our pilot students use a simulator that is so good that it counts for real flight time with the FAA.   However, that will not work for the aviation maintenance students.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Anselm on April 03, 2020, 07:58:40 AM

OK, I was a little careless in my frustration.   Our pilot students use a simulator that is so good that it counts for real flight time with the FAA.   However, that will not work for the aviation maintenance students.

Wait until you get the Tony Stark virtual workshop. Once they've got that at home, no problem.
It takes so little to be above average.

Stockmann

Higher-ups, get your act together. Re-sit exams had already been delayed and switched to online, why re-schedule them? You've created massive uncertainty because now nobody knows when they'll take place, let alone when next term will take place. What would've made sense would be to formally switch next term to online - courses involving stuff like dissecting corpses would simply not take place next term. Students with no broadband, etc, could be alowed to temporarily withdraw without penalty. Instead, you're delaying everybody's graduation unncessarily and creating massive uncertainty for everyone, not least for those of us on temporary contracts, even more so for new hires. Is it incompetence, is it coddling the dinosaurs who refuse to even consider switching to online even as an emergency, stopgap measure?
Oh, and of course there's no inkling that you're even thinking of what might happen if many instructors become seriously ill, even though our instructors tend to be very experienced. Feckless much?

histlibrarian

Let us close the library.

Stop giving us nonsense reasons as to why the building should remain open and start listening to all of us with our concerns about what this means for staff and student health. Stop ignoring this and start treating this like a bigger deal and acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, the library should actually close and all your "reasons" can be fulfilled with other sites on campus that do not require the library--which needs to be staffed in order to be open--to be open.

archaeo42

Did it not dawn on you that I was the one that was going to have to make those changes? You need to tell me when $h!t like this comes in.

And don't go f*cking with my folder system by adding new folders that you think will make things clearer/easier/etc. You're not helping.

FishProf

I spent a couple of hours doing the online demos so people *could* use this software package if they want.  No one is required to do so, but a lot of people are choosing to.

Your incredibly immature tantrum about academic freedom and being forced to go online (you are, not by me) and  having to use THIS software (you don't, but you can) was really pathetic.

What I want to say: "I didn't understand what you just said, but it should have been 'thank you', so 'you're welcome'."
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.