News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Fat People Thread

Started by Morris Zapp, March 18, 2021, 05:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morris Zapp

Anyone else struggling with their weight -- Covid 15 or otherwise?
I've recently started doing Bright Line Eating and have lost 20 pounds since January.
Has anyone else done BLE?  I have managed to eliminate sugar and flour, which I never
thought I could do.
Anybody else doing anything fairly 'hard core' to lose weight?

cathwen

Weight has been a constant struggle for me for decades. 

I gained seven pounds during the pandemic, but have lost them since January.  I am not doing anything extreme—mainly it's the same things I usually eat, but in smaller portions.  I keep carbs on the low side.  I have also cut out alcohol, although I will probably have a glass of wine on my birthday next month.  I allow myself two small pieces of chocolate a day—that helps.  But mainly, it's portion control that works best for me.  I am not temperamentally suited for extreme diets, or anything else. 

But what works, works!  So congratulations, Morris Zapp, on your weight loss and a program that works well for you.

clean

I got married in October. 
Im not saying "once you catch your limit you quit baiting the trap" (meaning that there is no pressure to 'look good")
However, adding another person who can bring home treats is not helping.
Unfortunately, long ago, I learned that my bride is NOT a good accountability partner.  I tell this (true) story to point out that she isnt 'helping'.
I called her because I felt like making a brownie and wanted her to 'talk me down.'  I said, "I feel like making a brownie" and she got all excited and said, "I will bring the Ice Cream!!"

So now that we are married, she is bringing ice cream more often!  She stops for lunch and brings me a milk shake. (And of course, she doesnt want me to 'drink alone', and she doesnt want me to feel left out).   She goes to the grocery store WITH A LIST, and comes home with cookies AND cookies and cream ice cream (neither on the list!).  She is not a skinny woman either and qualified for her Covid Shot in 1b for obesity, not that my state makes you state why you qualify, but that was one of the factors that helped convince her to get the shot when 1b was opened. 

Anyway, I have not lost weight at all. I am cooking for 2 now, more often, and we have not been able to rein in the treats.  IF I bring it up, there is always a "we will start tomorrow"  (and "tomorrow " never comes) Or there is some other reason that she earned a treat or needs a treat.  So Im having willpower issues in part because things keep showing back up in the house that are tempting, IN addition to my own occasional shopping weaknesses. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

histchick

I hear you, Clean.  My husband is much the same as your wife. 

I have struggled with weight issues for most of my life, as has my mother.  I confess that I haven't lost any weight during the pandemic, but I haven't gained any either.  I'm in what are likely the late stages of perimenopause, and have had some totally crazy students this year.  On top of that, I'm having issues with one of my feet (tendinitis and possible plantar fasciitis) and a knee issue.  My doctor thinks I injured myself when exercising, so I'm sort of leery of getting back on the treadmill again, I admit. 

This year, my theory has been portion control, which has worked for me in the past, but I do struggle with emotional eating. 

Vkw10

At my January checkup, I'd gained weight and my AC1 level was in prediabetes range. I'm logging everything I eat and drink, including water. I'm also logging steps, working up to four brisk miles of walking a day. I've also subscribed to a couple of puzzle magazines, because I'm less likely to nibble with a pencil in my hand.

My doctor has an interesting motivation technique. She asked me how much I would weigh the day I retired if I kept going at the rate I did this year. Then if I gained just one pound a year. I didn't like either answer. And diabetes scares  me, so I'll get the weight off.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

evil_physics_witchcraft

I lost about 35 pounds in four months prior to my surgery (unintentionally), which shifted me into a better BMI category, but still not an ideal one. Now that I'm recovering, I plan to continue losing weight (mass) in a healthy way and not because I kept getting sick. SO and I plan to walk, when I'm up to it, around our neighborhood which has a lot of nice wooded areas. We're also looking for healthier meal options (more scratch cooking, using less-refined ingredients, but very low fat).

Faith786

Quote from: Morris Zapp on March 18, 2021, 05:26:23 PM
Anyone else struggling with their weight -- Covid 15 or otherwise?
Anybody else doing anything fairly 'hard core' to lose weight?

I have been gaining and noticed a lot of people gained over the pandemic.
I think it may be some age-related muscle loss.
I am struggling with my weight right now.
I do not recognize my body.
I used to turn heads when I walked by. 
The weight gain has really hurt my ego.
I am desperate to lose but for now I am sticking to my Fitbit and noting down how much water I consume.
I have not counted everything because I have prioritized my work and research, and I think that is exactly where the problem has been.
Eventually I must say NO to work and refocus on myself and my health.
I need this grant approved...

sprout

Spouse and I lost ~25-30 pounds each on WW (formerly Weight Watchers) pre-pandemic.  But we've both gained it all back, with change, since going to work-from-home and not being able to go to in-person meetings or the gym.  With the new year, we started working out at home regularly and planning meals and it went pretty well for a while.  But as the term wore on, I reached the point where I've been fighting stress and depression so badly it feels like all I can do to manage to keep my head above water work-wise. If I start thinking about my weight I just spiral down.

Vkw10

Anyone have strategies for tiny changes?

I've set my Echo Dot to play a song several times a day. When the song starts, I stand up and march or dance about the room. Songs are usually about 3 minutes long, so I can't tell myself that I don't have time for it right now. It's not much exercise, but I'm at the 3 minutes is better than none stage. I have different songs scattered through my day. For example, Queen's Another One Bites the Dust blasts out at 2:15 everyday. Dancing through that one always improves my mood.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

ciao_yall

I do WW. Watching what I eat/drink is really important.

For a while I was taking really long walks and now that gyms are reopening I am back taking exercise classes. Haven't been able to walk as much.

Charlotte

Quote from: Vkw10 on March 23, 2021, 08:09:32 PM

I began drinking a glass of water as soon as I get up in the morning. I also eat at regular times so I added a glass right before lunch and dinner.

On days that I have a lot to do, I use Pomodoro technique and when my timer goes off I get up, do light stretches, and walk around.

I leave for class a little early so I can take the long way and walk a little extra. When class is over, I walk a little extra before returning to my office. If I drive somewhere, I park further away from the door.

I do Yoga With Adriene YouTube videos on the playlist with really short sessions. She has some 5-10 minute ones that are good. I especially like the six minute one for hips after sitting a lot all day.

I began scheduling active hobby trips (hiking, biking, swimming) and putting them in the calendar. This way, I'm less likely to skip it. For example, every Sunday morning I go for a bike ride. Every Wednesday evening I go swimming.

I got a membership to a local botanical garden and try to get over there at least every two weeks to walk. It's a nice variation from walking around the block and I'm enjoying watching spring change the garden.

When watching tv, I do light stretches or use resistance bands/dumbbells to get a light workout.

Nutrition: I began adding a vegetable to every meal and then moved to two veggies. I buy those frozen bags that you can steam in the microwave so it's easy!

I also began cutting my portion sizes. So when I get a serving, I get how much I usually would and then put some back. Or if I'm grabbing three cookies I get two instead.

I also stopped cleaning my plate which may sound odd. I grew up in a family that stressed you had to eat everything on your plate. Now, I practice leaving some and wrapping it up for later. For some reason, this idea that I must clean my plate has been very difficult to break.

I also began trying one new healthy recipe a week. This is how I discovered Buddha Bowls and the wonderful possibilities with that. You can really pack a lot of veggies in those and the endless variations keep it interesting.

I started substituting tzatziki sauce for salad dressing and mayo on sandwiches.

I quit eating after 6pm every day.

I also began drinking herbal tea. Lots of flavoring and no calories!

Sometimes, if we get takeout, I split the meal with spouse. It's better for both of us. I also will add food from home. For example, spouse and I may split a sandwich from a fast food place but I will have a side of salad that I make at home or raw veggies.

I switched up snacks from cookies and things like that to fruit and (carefully portioned out) nuts. I like the mandarin oranges that are easy to peel and also apples which are easily carried to my office. Sometimes I get string cheese.

Those are some of the changes I've recent months. I've lost 18 pounds and feel a lot better! I've slacked off in the last couple weeks but writing all this out reminds me how great I was feeling when I did them all! My plan is to lose twenty more pounds.

Cheerful

I've set my Echo Dot to play a song several times a day. When the song starts, I stand up and march or dance about the room. Songs are usually about 3 minutes long, so I can't tell myself that I don't have time for it right now. It's not much exercise, but I'm at the 3 minutes is better than none stage. I have different songs scattered through my day. For example, Queen's Another One Bites the Dust blasts out at 2:15 everyday. Dancing through that one always improves my mood.

Neat idea, thanks!

sprout

One thing that has been helping me curb snacking a bit is chewing gum.  I checked it out with my dentist, even, and she said to look for sugar-free with xylitol - Orbit, for one example.  I know I tend to eat for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with hunger, but somehow having something in my mouth helps block that let's-just-go-browse-the-kitchen restlessness.

ciao_yall

Quote from: sprout on March 24, 2021, 09:52:58 AM

One thing that has been helping me curb snacking a bit is chewing gum.  I checked it out with my dentist, even, and she said to look for sugar-free with xylitol - Orbit, for one example.  I know I tend to eat for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with hunger, but somehow having something in my mouth helps block that let's-just-go-browse-the-kitchen restlessness.

I drink a glass of ice water and then if I still want a snack, have a piece of fruit or some carrots.

Descartes

Quote from: ciao_yall on March 23, 2021, 08:25:17 PM
I do WW. Watching what I eat/drink is really important.

For a while I was taking really long walks and now that gyms are reopening I am back taking exercise classes. Haven't been able to walk as much.

WW works really, really well.  I've lost 50 lbs and am now at the point that I keep losing even when I eat bad for a day or two.  I did it just by following the points system.