Previous topic - Next topic

Kron3007

Quote from: Puget on April 09, 2021, 12:57:07 PM
Quote from: Faith786 on April 09, 2021, 12:21:42 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on April 09, 2021, 09:56:55 AM
Quote from: Faith786 on April 09, 2021, 07:20:59 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on April 06, 2021, 11:07:50 AM
Dang! I would think so!

Another tip. I also record everything that I eat to keep track and see if anything is 'rejected' by my body.

That's a great tip!
Btw, I hit 13,000 steps each day this week, and on one day, I hit 15,000 steps. I hope I can keep it up!!
No weight loss happening yet, though, because it's too early. 
1 pound of fat lost = 35,000 calories burned, apparently

I thought it was 3,500 calories (approximately- based on body type, etc.).

My bad...you're absolutely right...[hitting my forehead with my palm...doink!]

You can both be right, since the "calories" we refer to for food are actually kilocalories.

Dosnt that make both of them wrong?

smallcleanrat

Dang! I would think so!

Another tip. I also record everything that I eat to keep track and see if anything is 'rejected' by my body.

That's a great tip!
Btw, I hit 13,000 steps each day this week, and on one day, I hit 15,000 steps. I hope I can keep it up!!

You can both be right, since the "calories" we refer to for food are actually kilocalories.

If the actual number is 3,500 kilocalories than the number of calories is 3,500,000, no?

Puget

Quote from: smallcleanrat on April 09, 2021, 02:43:21 PM
Dang! I would think so!

That's a great tip!

If the actual number is 3,500 kilocalories than the number of calories is 3,500,000, no?

Yes, you are right! Wasn't attending properly to the number of 0s.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

Dang! I would think so!

That's a great tip!

Ooooo, good point! Maybe we should just use joules instead?

FishProf

3500 Calories (big C) = 3500 Kilocalories = 3,500,000 calories (small c) = 14,644 ​KJ

Most Salient Fact: I burned 36 (~ish) calories typing this out.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

AJ_Katz

Quote from: Kron3007 on April 09, 2021, 08:50:03 AM
Since then, I have dropped about 35 pounds and have shifted from an "obese" BMI to simply overweight.     

Congrats on the weight loss!  I agree with you about those BMI charts being off.  Here's an overview of BMI's and what might be optimal for longevity, which includes the following:

Quote from: excerpt
What's the optimal BMI? The largest studies in the United States and around the world found that having a normal body mass index, a BMI from 20 to 25, is associated with the longest lifespan. Put all the best available studies with the longest follow-up together, and that can be narrowed down even further to a BMI of 20 to 22.  ...  But, even within a normal BMI, the risk of developing chronic diseases, such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and several types of cancer starts to rise towards the upper end, even starting as low as a BMI of 21."

So although I'm within ~4 lbs of the healthy weight category (BMI <25), it's an additional 30 lbs to get to a BMI of 20.  Trying not to focus on that second part....

AJ_Katz

Question – has anyone else experienced that losing weight / being on a calorie deficit gives you "brain fog" that makes it hard to focus with certain tasks, like writing?  If so, have any tips for working through it or getting over it?

Kron3007

Quote from: AJ_Katz on April 12, 2021, 03:04:00 PM
Quote from: Kron3007 on April 09, 2021, 08:50:03 AM
Since then, I have dropped about 35 pounds and have shifted from an "obese" BMI to simply overweight.     

Congrats on the weight loss!  I agree with you about those BMI charts being off.  Here's an overview of BMI's and what might be optimal for longevity, which includes the following:

Quote from: excerpt
What's the optimal BMI? The largest studies in the United States and around the world found that having a normal body mass index, a BMI from 20 to 25, is associated with the longest lifespan. Put all the best available studies with the longest follow-up together, and that can be narrowed down even further to a BMI of 20 to 22.  ...  But, even within a normal BMI, the risk of developing chronic diseases, such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and several types of cancer starts to rise towards the upper end, even starting as low as a BMI of 21."

So although I'm within ~4 lbs of the healthy weight category (BMI <25), it's an additional 30 lbs to get to a BMI of 20.  Trying not to focus on that second part....

Thanks.  I am still about 20 lbs off of a BMI of 25, but I still question the whole thing.  I used to work out a lot and was quite lean at that weight.  I'm sure I have lost muscle mass, but my ideal weight would still put me at a high BMI since I hope to get back to the gym when I can. 

Either way, I am happy even if I never reach my ultimate goal.  I don't mind imperfection, but didn't like where I was headed.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: AJ_Katz on April 12, 2021, 03:07:11 PM
Question – has anyone else experienced that losing weight / being on a calorie deficit gives you "brain fog" that makes it hard to focus with certain tasks, like writing?  If so, have any tips for working through it or getting over it?

Yes, and I wonder if it's related to cutting carbs. Not sure how to deal with it other than not completely cutting carbs. Space them out and see how many you need to not be 'out of it.' Titrate.

AJ_Katz

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on April 12, 2021, 03:23:36 PM

Yes, and I wonder if it's related to cutting carbs. Not sure how to deal with it other than not completely cutting carbs. Space them out and see how many you need to not be 'out of it.' Titrate.

Good to know I'm not alone with it.  I'm on a high carb diet (approx 80:10:10 carbs:prot:fat) and still experiencing it.  I'm thinking about trying to eat more of my calories during the day and having a spartan dinner at night. 

spork

Again, my problem is the opposite of the topic of this thread, but changing one's caloric intake or burn rate can have all sorts of effects on the human body, including cognitive function. A simple example: post-prandial stupor.

When I get home from a run longer than six miles, the first thing I do when I get through the door is starting munching a banana. If I wait more than 30 minutes to ingest food, my energy level and ability to concentrate is sub-par for the rest of the day. I also drink some protein shake made with soy milk before showering. This does a much better at keeping me functional than, for example, a couple of donuts that will cause my blood sugar to spike and then crash.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

clean

QuoteQuestion – has anyone else experienced that losing weight / being on a calorie deficit gives you "brain fog" that makes it hard to focus with certain tasks, like writing?  If so, have any tips for working through it or getting over it?
Yes, your brain is a big energy hog.  Perhaps on days that you need to concentrate, make sure that you have a good meal. You can cut back later in the day, after the research work is done.

I had a friend that went on to PhD program, and she reported that she was trying to lose weight, but was having problems concentrating.  Weight loss, at least significant ones, can wait a while!

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Vkw10

Quote from: clean on April 12, 2021, 05:30:02 PM
QuoteQuestion – has anyone else experienced that losing weight / being on a calorie deficit gives you "brain fog" that makes it hard to focus with certain tasks, like writing?  If so, have any tips for working through it or getting over it?
Yes, your brain is a big energy hog.  Perhaps on days that you need to concentrate, make sure that you have a good meal. You can cut back later in the day, after the research work is done.

I had a friend that went on to PhD program, and she reported that she was trying to lose weight, but was having problems concentrating.  Weight loss, at least significant ones, can wait a while!

I've found that focusing on a weekly calorie deficit more than a daily one helps. A goal of 3500 calories deficit a week might mean calorie deficits of 500 calories on three days, 800 calories on two days, and 200 calories on two days. Today was a meeting and data collection day, so I planned an 800 calorie deficit. A little brain fog is a good thing some days.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

spork

To possibly clarify my previous comment: I think trying to avoid volatility in blood sugar levels by, for example, eating small amounts of whole foods at regular intervals, instead of occasionally eating very large meals or snacking on highly-processed carbohydrates and refined sugars, helps keep cognitive function consistent throughout the day.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

polly_mer

Quote from: spork on April 13, 2021, 11:30:10 AM
To possibly clarify my previous comment: I think trying to avoid volatility in blood sugar levels by, for example, eating small amounts of whole foods at regular intervals, instead of occasionally eating very large meals or snacking on highly-processed carbohydrates and refined sugars, helps keep cognitive function consistent throughout the day.

I've encountered that assertion in many places.  That doesn't seem to matter nearly as much as having sufficient food that I can think.

I definitely notice being hungrier when I have been doing a lot of thinking and then come up for air than when I have a lower cognitive load.

I do get brain fog if I'm not eating enough.  I don't keep track of calories, but it's noticeable to me when I'm low on fuel.  I can't live on junk food, but I don't experience a crash by having some quick sugar to stave off the 1500 slow time when thinking is hard.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!