News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Preparing for Coronavirus?

Started by Cheerful, February 25, 2020, 09:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

Quote from: spork on March 19, 2020, 03:41:02 AM
I'm out of leaf bags and canned pumpkin! No more yard work or pies!!!

Why rake or blow leaves?  Just mow them.  That's good for the grass.

spork

Quote from: nebo113 on March 19, 2020, 05:54:54 AM
Quote from: spork on March 19, 2020, 03:41:02 AM
I'm out of leaf bags and canned pumpkin! No more yard work or pies!!!

Why rake or blow leaves?  Just mow them.  That's good for the grass.

I don't have a lawn. I ripped it out in favor of ornamental shrubs and flowers.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

apl68

First day of limited library service went well.  We had a trickle of patrons during the day, picking up materials at the door or coming in to use the computers for essential work.  We also answered various questions by phone or online, and sent at least one patron fax.  There were never more than two or three patrons in the building at one time.  So we were able to keep workstations sanitized without breaking "social distancing."

Meanwhile the staff has been doing cleaning, inventory, weeding, etc.  Actual waiting on patrons is only the tip of the iceberg of library work, so we've got plenty to occupy us for now.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

ciao_yall

2020 is the year of Coronamok.

Annus Coronamoccus?

Anno Coranamoccus?

Too soon?

Cheerful

Quote from: apl68 on March 19, 2020, 08:19:45 AM
First day of limited library service went well.  We had a trickle of patrons during the day, picking up materials at the door or coming in to use the computers for essential work.  We also answered various questions by phone or online, and sent at least one patron fax.  There were never more than two or three patrons in the building at one time.  So we were able to keep workstations sanitized without breaking "social distancing."

Meanwhile the staff has been doing cleaning, inventory, weeding, etc.  Actual waiting on patrons is only the tip of the iceberg of library work, so we've got plenty to occupy us for now.

Your library will likely close at some point soon.

hmaria1609

Today, I checked my work e-mail for the first time since Sunday. There was one or two messages from someone in our admin. offices for the entire library system but nothing pressing. Otherwise, it feels good to unplug from work.
There's a small cohort of administrators and outreach staff working remotely. Our digital offerings are being promoted to patrons as well as items of interest on social media.

On the topic of yard work, I've heard that small clumps of fresh cut grass is good for the lawn. I've noticed neighbors putting out shrub and plant clippings for trash pick up. That time of year!

spork

Here's how some of our Dear Leaders prepared for the coronavirus:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/sen-richard-burr-r-nc-head-of-powerful-committee-sold-large-amount-of-stocks-before-sharp-declines-in-market/2020/03/19/6cf4b25a-6a31-11ea-9923-57073adce27c_story.html.

I'm debating whether to go to the store to get leaf bags. I expect that next week we will be advised by the governor to "shelter in place."
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

nebo113

Quote from: spork on March 20, 2020, 04:36:16 AM
Here's how some of our Dear Leaders prepared for the coronavirus:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/sen-richard-burr-r-nc-head-of-powerful-committee-sold-large-amount-of-stocks-before-sharp-declines-in-market/2020/03/19/6cf4b25a-6a31-11ea-9923-57073adce27c_story.html.

I'm debating whether to go to the store to get leaf bags. I expect that next week we will be advised by the governor to "shelter in place."

Tucker Carlson is calling for his resignation.  Tucker is, apparently, the person to credit with 45* finally taking covid 19 seriously.  Tucker and the road to Damascus!

reener06

Back to preparation: it occurred to me this morning that I don't know if there's a so-called (for want of a better term) "line of succession" for chair, dean, provost, etc. I'd ask, but I just gone through the wringer with my administration, and am not about to suggest I want something bad to happen to anyone. But I am wondering--does your department/college/university have such a thing, and if so, is it known and has it been discussed?

OTOH, we may all find out we function better with little or no administration.

spork

Quote from: reener06 on March 20, 2020, 08:44:16 AM
Back to preparation: it occurred to me this morning that I don't know if there's a so-called (for want of a better term) "line of succession" for chair, dean, provost, etc. I'd ask, but I just gone through the wringer with my administration, and am not about to suggest I want something bad to happen to anyone. But I am wondering--does your department/college/university have such a thing, and if so, is it known and has it been discussed?

OTOH, we may all find out we function better with little or no administration.

No. Historically we've operated with a "person, not policy" or "person, not position" culture, and now the easily-predictable but horrifying effects of it are plain to everyone.

It's official now: online courses for the rest of the semester, commencement cancelled.

Liquidambar

Quote from: reener06 on March 20, 2020, 08:44:16 AM

My school made all departments put together an emergency plan that included a "line of succession" for the chair.  I assume the administrators have something similar for themselves, but it hasn't been announced.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

spork

Success! I now have twenty-five leaf bags and am now ready for the zombie apocalypse.

apl68

Quote from: spork on March 20, 2020, 12:35:18 PM
Success! I now have twenty-five leaf bags and am now ready for the zombie apocalypse.

Well, that MIGHT work, if you bury each bag of zombies deep enough once it's full.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

fast_and_bulbous

Quote from: spork on March 20, 2020, 12:35:18 PM
That reminds me, I really need to stock up at the weed store.... except they just switched over to "medical only." Gonna have to stretch my remaining stash to stay sane during stuckinmyhousemageddon.
I wake up every morning with a healthy dose of analog delay

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.