News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Breakfast Thread

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, July 10, 2020, 09:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheerful

Quote from: mamselle on July 11, 2020, 04:28:09 PM
My chocolate croissants are in halves because it's easier to find good whole croissants, split them, and insert a triangular half-square of Ghiradelli's 72% dark chocolate every morning than find a good source for real 《pain chocolat》.

Heat for as long as it takes the teakettle to boil and the chocolate gets good and gooey...mmmmm.....

Win-win-win-win

;--》

Mmmm.

Thanks for mentioning croissants and chocolate, mamselle.  Hadn't had croissants in years.  Your post inspired me to get some and combine with the Ghiradelli dark chocolate squares.  Oh yeah!  I will be buying more of both soon!

ab_grp

Now I'm thinking about chocolate croissants again, too!

We just had an egg or eggs over leftover chimichanga and salad.  Just mix it all together and go to town.  Easy and filling!

Liquidambar

I hosted my first socially distanced outdoor breakfast.  It went perfectly--we even had cool(ish) weather.  I made bacon-cheddar-spinach quiche and oatmeal chocolate chip muffins.  I also served fresh fruit.  I'm excited about doing this again soon if I can talk another friend into it.

One of my latest teas went very well with the chocolate chip muffins:  August Passage ("Rich black tea with hazelnut and chocolate").  It has a nice, balanced flavor--not too much of either chocolate, hazelnut, or tea flavor.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

ab_grp

We had another brunch to fill spouse up before he had to go on site (hard to eat with the protections in place).  So, another set of eggs over leftover roasted sweet and mini potatoes with everything bagels with veggie and plain cream cheese (sadly, ran out of jalapeno).  That roasted mustard potato recipe I posted before here or on the dinner thread (from Ina Garten) suggested parsley on top of the potatoes, and I have been putting it on my breakfast potatoes since.  Yum.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Liquidambar on August 02, 2020, 03:19:19 PM
I hosted my first socially distanced outdoor breakfast.  It went perfectly--we even had cool(ish) weather.  I made bacon-cheddar-spinach quiche and oatmeal chocolate chip muffins.  I also served fresh fruit.  I'm excited about doing this again soon if I can talk another friend into it.

One of my latest teas went very well with the chocolate chip muffins:  August Passage ("Rich black tea with hazelnut and chocolate").  It has a nice, balanced flavor--not too much of either chocolate, hazelnut, or tea flavor.

That sounds lovely!

nonsensical

I love breakfast. Also I greatly enjoy eating it in leisurely quiet while everyone else is sleeping.

Today: cheese blintzes (from the frozen foods aisle at the grocery store, not ones that I made myself) with sour cream, blueberries, lemon flavored tea.

Liquidambar

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 02, 2020, 06:18:48 PM

That sounds lovely!

Thanks!  My dream job is to be menu planner for a bed and breakfast, if in fact that were a real paying job.  Since I've gotten into teas in the past couple years, now I can imagine that my menus would include tea pairings.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

nonsensical

Thanks!  My dream job is to be menu planner for a bed and breakfast, if in fact that were a real paying job.  Since I've gotten into teas in the past couple years, now I can imagine that my menus would include tea pairings.

This might be a silly question or more detail than you feel like typing out, but I'd love to hear more about tea pairings if you feel like sharing. I drink tea with most of my breakfasts, but I normally just buy some teas that I like and drink whatever I'm in the mood for that morning along with whatever food I'm eating. The decision about which tea to drink is completely separate from the decision about which food to eat. What kinds of things do you look for when you pair tea and food? This conversation makes me think of wine pairings, but I don't drink alcohol, and if I did I would probably manage it the same way as I currently manage tea (pick food and wine separately, consume them together with no thought about how well they go together), so any analogy to wine pairings is probably going to be lost on me.

Liquidambar

Quote from: nonsensical on August 03, 2020, 06:20:05 AM

This might be a silly question or more detail than you feel like typing out, but I'd love to hear more about tea pairings if you feel like sharing. I drink tea with most of my breakfasts, but I normally just buy some teas that I like and drink whatever I'm in the mood for that morning along with whatever food I'm eating. The decision about which tea to drink is completely separate from the decision about which food to eat. What kinds of things do you look for when you pair tea and food? This conversation makes me think of wine pairings, but I don't drink alcohol, and if I did I would probably manage it the same way as I currently manage tea (pick food and wine separately, consume them together with no thought about how well they go together), so any analogy to wine pairings is probably going to be lost on me.

Fun question!  This might be too idiosyncratic for my opinions to actually work for anyone else, but I like thinking about it.  (No analogies to wine pairings here--I only barely tolerate wine.)  Another disclaimer:  I only know about herbal teas and flavored teas.  I don't know about, say, all the different kinds of black tea that allegedly have subtly different properties.

Anyway, I guess what I'm looking for is a tea that has some similarity to the food but not too much.  If the food involves fruit, maybe I'd have a fruity tea but one flavored with a different fruit.  With a sweet food, I'd pick a tea that's somewhat sweet but also somewhat bitter, and I'd be less likely to add sugar to the tea lest the meal become cloyingly sweet.  The history or national origin also affects my perception.  I like Earl Grey with pastries--seems very British.  I like green tea with Asian food, even though I otherwise don't usually drink green tea.

ab_grp

I don't drink much tea anymore, but this is a really interesting discussion! And being a menu planner for a bed and breakfast, with tea pairings, sounds like a great possibility.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I would like to become more interested in teas. This morning, I stepped away from my usual coffee and had some Darjeeling tea (which is very good with milk, cinnamon, clove, ginger and cardamon [like chai]).

Liquidambar

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 03, 2020, 09:43:16 AM
I would like to become more interested in teas. This morning, I stepped away from my usual coffee and had some Darjeeling tea (which is very good with milk, cinnamon, clove, ginger and cardamon [like chai]).

Sounds delicious.  Did you add the spices yourself, or was it a blend that already included them?

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Liquidambar on August 03, 2020, 10:21:01 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 03, 2020, 09:43:16 AM

Sounds delicious.  Did you add the spices yourself, or was it a blend that already included them?

I mix them in myself. I usually put whole spices (except for ginger- powdered, haven't tried it fresh) in a tea ball, or you can simmer them in milk on the stove. When I'm feeling lazy, I'll used powdered spices. Just make sure you blend it well.

nonsensical

Quote from: Liquidambar on August 03, 2020, 07:31:16 AM
Anyway, I guess what I'm looking for is a tea that has some similarity to the food but not too much.  If the food involves fruit, maybe I'd have a fruity tea but one flavored with a different fruit.  With a sweet food, I'd pick a tea that's somewhat sweet but also somewhat bitter, and I'd be less likely to add sugar to the tea lest the meal become cloyingly sweet.  The history or national origin also affects my perception.  I like Earl Grey with pastries--seems very British.  I like green tea with Asian food, even though I otherwise don't usually drink green tea.

Thanks for taking the time to explain. This might make me much more thoughtful about which teas I am drinking with which foods!

hmaria1609

Had an egg over hard with cheese and "toasted" bread slice from the pan