News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Look! A bird!

Started by professor_pat, May 31, 2019, 11:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Wood ducks are such fancy-looking birds!  What a treat.

The other day I heard a loud scratching in the leaves under our dogwood tree--it was a beautiful male yellow-shafted flicker.  I stood and watched for a good while while he continued his search for whatever it was he wanted. 

mamselle

Bugs.

(...and yes, they're lovely!)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nebo113

Quote from: mamselle on August 10, 2020, 09:15:06 AM
Yeah, the colors, especially.

Those tertiaries just get to me....

M.

I love it when you talk dirty!

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

What fascinates me about wood ducks is watching them dive.  Or suddenly surface in a patch of water where you didn't see anything before.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

apl68

This morning I was walking along the creek that feeds into the city park pond and saw the big egret that I've been seeing around the pond.  I've seen the grey herons this far upstream before, but not the egret.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Catherder

There are baby doves in the cherry tree nest again, and Mom is sitting on them to keep them all from being blown away in 42 km/hr wind
gusts.

FishProf

Eastern Bluebird fledglings learning how to pick bugs from the air.  They are delightfully bad at it.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

nebo113

Quote from: apl68 on September 07, 2020, 07:26:17 AM
This morning I was walking along the creek that feeds into the city park pond and saw the big egret that I've been seeing around the pond.  I've seen the grey herons this far upstream before, but not the egret.

I am not familiar with grey herons so googled, and found that they resemble the great blue heron I know and love, but are not on my side of the pond.  I learned something.  Thanks!

apl68

Few birds exhibit their dinosaur ancestry as clearly as the big herons.  When they take flight it's like seeing something prehistoric.

mamselle

Quote from: apl68 on September 08, 2020, 07:28:24 AM
Few birds exhibit their dinosaur ancestry as clearly as the big herons.  When they take flight it's like seeing something prehistoric.

Yes.

And that archaic "Skrwawk!" as they go is chilling...especially heard at night, under a bridge as you're walking over the brook where The Old One hangs out...I'm sure he did it to scare me!

M.

Catherder

True, but although I like watching them, I'm not an admirer.  They are nasty predators, and cowardly.  More than once I've chased them away from burrows where there are baby otters.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on September 08, 2020, 07:57:48 AM

Yes.

And that archaic "Skrwawk!" as they go is chilling...especially heard at night, under a bridge as you're walking over the brook where The Old One hangs out...I'm sure he did it to scare me!

M.

Several years ago I encountered a heron at twilight in a spot where I wasn't used to seeing them.  It was also standing on the bank--instead of in the water or perched on a branch--and was drawn up to its full height.  For just a moment I failed to recognize it.  Instead of a familiar big bird, my mind saw an unnaturally skinny, grey humanoid, for all the world like a sci-fi alien visitor.  Then something clicked in my head, and I recognized it for what it was.  Then it spread its wings and flew away.

I've often wondered what would have happened had I not been so accustomed to seeing herons.  I might never have recognized it.  Instead I might to this day have this bizarre memory of seeing an alien turned winged humanoid.  Some famous alien sightings over the years, like the "Mothman" of the 1960s, have been explained as garbled sightings of unfamiliar large birds.  My little "alien" encounter makes it easy for me to see how this might have been the case.

nebo113

Hummingbird disregarded fabric strips in doorway and flew into the house yesterday.  After trying to fly out the screened windows, it found the door and left.  Now that the front yard is completely fenced, I will keep the back screen closed, and leave front door open for the canine.  Birds do not enter by front door.

evil_physics_witchcraft

A red-shouldered hawk startled me this morning. It was relatively close, but I couldn't spot it. :(