News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Look! A bird!

Started by professor_pat, May 31, 2019, 11:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Catherder

Sadly, the flicker didn't survive.

Catherder

Quote from: cathwen on October 04, 2020, 09:44:06 AM
I saw my first white-throated sparrow today!  Fall is officially here."

I thought I saw a half dozen of these hopping around the bushes the other day but they were too far away to verify by any yellow streaks. One just hopped onto my window sill.  Yup!

The flicker disappeared overnight. I suspect that fox.

evil_physics_witchcraft

One of my students took a test, using Respondus, with a cockatiel on her shoulder!!! It looks like one I had 10 years ago. R.I.P.

mamselle

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on October 08, 2020, 10:16:17 AM
One of my students took a test, using Respondus, with a cockatiel on her shoulder!!! It looks like one I had 10 years ago. R.I.P.

Did it sing opera?

https://www.classicfm.com/music-news/videos/cockatiel-parrot-sings-operatic-scales/

;--}

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on October 08, 2020, 10:20:49 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on October 08, 2020, 10:16:17 AM

Did it sing opera?

https://www.classicfm.com/music-news/videos/cockatiel-parrot-sings-operatic-scales/

;--}

M.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Love this! Made my day (and I've been ultra-grumpy lately). Thanks Mamselle. Looks like my 18 year old cockatiel I used to have...

evil_physics_witchcraft

There is a wood thrush on one of the bird baths. I haven't seen one in awhile.

mamselle

Quote<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Love this! Made my day (and I've been ultra-grumpy lately). Thanks Mamselle. Looks like my 18 year old cockatiel I used to have...

Glad you liked it!

Re: the bird-into-window collisions: Looks like it's migration madness...at least NYC has a bird hospital.....

https://api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/animals/2020/10/birds-are-crashing-into-nyc-buildings-and-records-numbers-are-being-rescued

M.

apl68

Woke up in the middle of the night last night and heard geese flying over town.  That's always a wonderful experience.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

cathwen

I've been hearing geese, too.

I saw a small bird flitting around in a nearby tree.  At first I thought it was a warbler, but its bill was very short.  I think it might have been a ruby-crowned kinglet, but I'm not sure.  The light conditions were not ideal.

apl68

This morning I heard an owl hooting very near my house.  And another one at the city park.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Thursday's_Child

The winter birds are arriving!  Thus far:  ruby-crowned kinglet, white-throat sparrows, yellow-rumped warbler.

Also, a great view of a double-crested cormorant hunting on the Coral City Camera - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i8ARjIeM2k  - scroll back to 10:14:38.  It's a live cam that only has the previous 12 hours available, but I'm sure the video was captured and reposted.

Catherder

Still here: Various ducks, great blue herons, swans, one confused robin, ravens, crows, various woodpeckers, and hundreds of Canada
                geese possibly waiting for the US election results.

Gone:       Doves, finches, orioles, flickers, all but one robin.

Recently arrived: Cardinals, dozens of bluejays and chickadees, juncos and various sparrows.

mamselle

Hilarious version of Midsomer Murders (I'm watching very old re-runs for what someone on a thread elsewhere called "self-soothing" these days...) on what happens among a group of very dedicated bird-watchers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXdmfuynoA4

I don't think any of us are quite so rabid about it all....

M.

nebo113

Standing in the yard with a cousin yesterday, when I noticed buzzards (turkey vultures) circling gently over area across the road.  Gradually, they increased in numbers, just seeming to be floating around, enjoying our beautiful fall afternoon.  Wafted gently toward my property, until we counted about 50, sun glinting off their lower sides.  It was truly marvelous.  Then they gradually drifted away.