News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Assembling the Lexicon

Started by polly_mer, May 18, 2019, 07:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bioteacher

I'm totally blanking on the name/names we had for it/them, but we had a name for a generic university/college that we all worked for at some point. The adminicritters there are the absolute best rodents in the field.  I'll know the name for it when I see it, but I bet someone else knows what I'm talking about.

RMP- rate my professors might be an abbreviation worth adding to the list.

polly_mer

Quote from: bioteacher on July 19, 2019, 05:31:22 PM
I'm totally blanking on the name/names we had for it/them, but we had a name for a generic university/college that we all worked for at some point. The adminicritters there are the absolute best rodents in the field.  I'll know the name for it when I see it, but I bet someone else knows what I'm talking about.

Would that be Kissy Face College (KFC) with the outstanding memos?
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mouseman

Quote from: polly_mer on July 19, 2019, 05:37:42 PM
Quote from: bioteacher on July 19, 2019, 05:31:22 PM

Would that be Kissy Face College (KFC) with the outstanding memos?

I think that KFC should be there, as well as "Basket Weaving".
"Just the place for a Snark!" the Bellman cried,
   As he landed his crew with care;
Supporting each man on the top of the tide
   By a finger entwined in his hair.

Lewis Carroll

bioteacher

YES! KFC! That was it. It was on the tip of my tongue.

Her ability to read my mind is reason 832,234 why I love Polly

polly_mer

Quote from: mouseman on July 19, 2019, 05:56:20 PM

I will need help with "Basket Weaving".  What are you thinking for that?

namazu

Quote from: polly_mer on July 20, 2019, 05:01:09 AM
Quote from: mouseman on July 19, 2019, 05:56:20 PM

I will need help with "Basket Weaving".  What are you thinking for that?
A generic stand-in for any field of study, often used in describing courses.

Biologist_

Quote from: polly_mer on July 19, 2019, 08:07:56 AM
SPADFY "Some people are different from you" -- a reminder that, regardless of how strong one individual's feelings are on the rightness of a course of action, someone else can feel just as strongly in the opposite direction.  Some people love small towns and some love only the biggest cities in the world.  Some people love teaching, some love research, and some love service.

I thought SPADFY was "Some places are different from yours."

In other words, the advice that I believe to be helpful based on my experience at my institution may not apply at your institution because of differing institutional priorities or culture.

Should our glossary mention both people and places?

polly_mer

Quote from: Biologist_ on August 08, 2019, 11:21:06 AM
SPADFY "Some people are different from you" -- a reminder that, regardless of how strong one individual's feelings are on the rightness of a course of action, someone else can feel just as strongly in the opposite direction.  Some people love small towns and some love only the biggest cities in the world.  Some people love teaching, some love research, and some love service.

In other words, the advice that I believe to be helpful based on my experience at my institution may not apply at your institution because of differing institutional priorities or culture.

YMMV was typically used for place-dependent variations on the old fora based on what I read.

What say you frequent readers?

aside

Quote from: polly_mer on August 08, 2019, 05:32:18 PM
Quote from: Biologist_ on August 08, 2019, 11:21:06 AM

YMMV was typically used for place-dependent variations on the old fora based on what I read.

What say you frequent readers?

I believe this is the origin of SPADFY:  https://www.chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,88417.0.html

Should the link cease working, the post was by tinyzombie:

Re: why twit everything?
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 9:28:58 pm »

This thread calls for a new acronym. Apply it where it is needed.

SPADFY.

(Some people are different from you!)

ciao_yall

Thursday's_Child

IIRC = If I remember correctly

We don't seem to use some of the older internet shortcut phrases (LOL, ROTFLMAO) much any more.