News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

IHE: The Discount Rate and Net Revenue

Started by polly_mer, August 14, 2019, 05:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

An article in IHE has a very readable discussion on why net revenue is a more important budgeting reality than discount rate: https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2019/08/14/why-discount-rate-flawed-statistic-tracking-college-finances-opinion
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

spork

I agree that the discount rate is meaningless by itself. In the market segment my employer operates in, discount rates are generally 50-55%.

My preferred measurement is operational expenses per FTE student over time.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Hibush

Quote from: spork on August 14, 2019, 07:13:26 AM
I agree that the discount rate is meaningless by itself. In the market segment my employer operates in, discount rates are generally 50-55%.

My preferred measurement is operational expenses per FTE student over time.

The article author compares that value with the revenue side also, net tuition per FTE.

For a whole lot of private schools, the sticker price is in a fairly narrow range (~$55k for AY19-20). Comparing discount rates among those schools amounts to comparing net tuition.

The discount rate's existence used to be a big secret, never mind the actual value. Now it has become one of the most widely available stats.